What's new

Parrikar volte-face opens door for more Rafale fighters, Mountain Strike Corps wud be 70K

PARIKRAMA

Reaction score
Country
India
Parrikar volte-face opens door for more Rafale fighters

Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, in a television interview on Tuesday evening, did not rule out buying more Rafale fighters, over and above the 36 that Prime Minister Narendra Modi requested the French government for during his visit to Paris in April.

On Thursday, Parrikar had declared that buying 90 less Rafale fighter than the 126 that was earlier planned, would save him money to buy more Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) for the Indian Air Force (IAF).

"I have saved the cost of 90 Rafales," Parrikar had said in New Delhi.

Yet, on Tuesday, the defence minister backed off from that statement, declining to clarify whether the Rafale purchase would be capped at 36 fighters.

"I'm not saying we will buy more Rafale; I'm not saying we will not buy more," said Parrikar.

All that he confirmed is that French vendors would have to discharge offsets worth 50 per cent of the contract value; and that the final price for the Rafale would be cheaper than what Dassault had quoted for 18 ready-built fighters in its commercial bid in the medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA) tender.

"In the MMRCA tender, Dassault was to supply 18 Rafales in flyaway condition, and also build 90 fighters in Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL). Now Dassault is freed of the responsibility to 'Make in India'. The price they now supply the Rafale at should not just be lower, but at least 30-35 per cent lower than the price which included 'Make in India," says Pushpinder Singh, aerospace industry expert.

Parrikar says negotiations with France will start next week. On Monday, he had told Indian Express that the contract would be finalized in 2-3 months and the first Rafales would be supplied to the IAF within one year.

Parrikar also did a volte-face on the mountain strike corps (MSC), repudiating an earlier statement that it was being cut down by half to one-third.

On April 13, Parrikar had told Doordarshan: "I think we'll have to work out the size of it properly. It cannot be the size initially approved. It has to be slightly trimmed down." Soon after that, his ministry said that, instead of raising a 70,000-person corps for Rs 88,000 crore, the new corps would have half that number and cost Rs 38,000 crore over next eight years.

On Tuesday Parrikar said the MSC was being pared down only as a temporary measure because of a funding shortfall. When funds became available, the MSC would be built up to the strength planned by the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government, he clarified.

The defence minister also created another deadline for himself, promising on Tuesday that his ministry would finalise a proposal for a "chief of defence staff," or CDS, and send it up for cabinet sanction by end-June.

In the interview, Parrikar appeared slightly confused about whether the tri-service chief would be a five-star "chief of defence staff," as recommended by a Group of Minister in 2001; or a four-star "permanent chairman of the chiefs of staff committee" recommended by the Naresh Chandra Committee in 2012.

"What does a name matter?" he responded to a query by the interviewer. He added the new post would be significantly more powerful than the current three-star "chief of integrated defence staff" that coordinates tri-service planning.

Questioned on "one rank, one pension" (OROP), on which the government has slipped several deadlines, Parrikar stated it would be cleared in a "reasonable" time frame. The proposal was with the finance ministry, he said, and since they had not come back to him with any queries, he assumed it would be cleared. In January, Parrikar had stated that OROP would be implemented by July, within a year of it being publicly accepted by the new government. Parrikar reassured ex-servicemen that OROP would be implemented in full; and that arrears would be paid from April 2014.

Parrikar volte-face opens door for more Rafale fighters | Business Standard News

My View:
Dear DM MP,
Please refrain from any interviews for some time.. More work.... less interviews/ talk shows.. less the chances of gaffe and volte faces.. You have done great work as you started out as DM.. We have humongous expectations from you...

Actually he is very bad in hindi. He speaks konkani and english. Thats why this stupid things occur. He should give interview only in eng.
Rest he is doing a good job.

so what exactly was the point of MMRCA then?? what did India get out of it besides a government to government deal for 36 Rafale?

so what exactly was the point of MMRCA then?? what did India get out of it besides a government to government deal for 36 Rafale?
the tech evaluation to actually decide on Rafale.

After China released the statement on not recognizing the McMahon Line.......things are going to get a lot better for India's military. Thank you China.

the tech evaluation to actually decide on Rafale.

I think India decided it wanted Rafale all the way back in 2008. when they participated in Red Flag 2008.

MMRCA achieved nothing but waste time and money.

could of bought Rafale 7 years ago.

Actually he is very bad in hindi. He speaks konkani and english. Thats why this stupid things occur. He should give interview only in eng.
Rest he is doing a good job.

He spoke in English. I watched that interview & the only thing he said was that since there were negotiations currently going on about Rafale, he was not about to say anything on the matter. This is just a stupid headline, though they are correct about the eventual strength of the new mountain corps where he said the present limits are only till he works out the finances for the rest.

I think India decided it wanted Rafale all the way back in 2008. when they participated in Red Flag 2008.

Probably true of the IAF but it was actually the offer of AESA by Boeing & the U.S. on the F-18 that actually opened up the tender to the twin engined planes. The French were forced to develop it because of the competition from the SH and the IAF making it a mandatory requirement.

A pity that the U.S. didn't do a better job with their offer on the SH.

Yes. But a lot of officials made money on the process. So it's the process that counted.

Make up your mind!:lol:

After China released the statement on not recognizing the McMahon Line.......things are going to get a lot better for India's military. Thank you China.

It would serve China right middle and left if India could be persuaded to spend 20% or more of its GDP on defence。:D

After all,you guys are forced to pay 3.1 billion USD for a few dozens of helicopters while with the same amount of money China can possibly produce a greater number of J-20s。:enjoy:

"I'm not saying we will buy more Rafale; I'm not saying we will not buy more," said Parrikar.
DM is speaking a little too much these days. He must be vary of how media reports and twists the facts. It is better to speak only when required. A lot of changes are happening or going to happen as far as defence procurement is concerned and in this scenario, it is better to be categorical rather than give media some gossip fodder.

Konkani is better than English. Dictionary is bigger, more dimensions covered. Indian ministers should speak in language of their respective native states. Keep them guessing.

Make up your mind!:lol:

It would serve China right middle and left if India could be persuaded to spend 20% or more of its GDP on defence。:D

After all,you guys are forced to pay 3.1 billion USD for a few dozens of helicopters while with the same amount of money China can possibly produce a greater number of J-20s。:enjoy:

J-20's have never seen any action. All the specs are on paper. Nothing proven at all. As for spending amounts, there's aplan in place to keep that in check. Cant wait to surprise you guys once again.

Back
Top Bottom