What's new

Pakistan's nuke warheads aimed at deterring India: US report

WASHINGTON: Pakistan's nuclear warheads which are estimated to be between 110-130 are aimed at deterring India from taking military action against it, a latest Congressional report has said.

The report also expressed concern that Islamabad's "full spectrum deterrence" doctrine has increased risk of nuclear conflict between the two South Asian neighbours.

"Pakistan's nuclear arsenal probably consists of approximately 110-130 nuclear warheads, although it could have more. Islamabad is producing fissile material, adding to related production facilities, deploying additional nuclear weapons, and new types of delivery vehicles," Congressional Research Service (CRS) said in its latest report.

In its 28-page report, the CRS noted that Pakistan's nuclear arsenal is widely regarded as designed to dissuade India from taking military action against it, but Islamabad's expansion of its nuclear arsenal, development of new types of nuclear weapons and adoption of a doctrine called "full spectrum deterrence" have led some observers to express concern about an increased risk of nuclear conflict between Pakistan and India, which also continues to expand its nuclear arsenal.

CRS is the independent research wing of the US Congress, which prepares periodic reports by eminent experts on a wide range of issues so as to help lawmakers take informed decisions.

Reports of CRS are not considered as an official view of the US Congress.
Recommended By Colombia

"Pakistan has in recent years taken a number of steps to increase international confidence in the security of its nuclear arsenal," said the CRS report authored by Paul K Kerr and Mary Beth Nikitin.

Moreover, Pakistani and US officials argue that, since the 2004 revelations about a procurement network run by former Pakistani nuclear official A Q Khan, Islamabad has taken a number of steps to improve its nuclear security and to prevent further proliferation of nuclear-related technologies and materials, it said.

A number of important initiatives, such as strengthened export control laws, improved personnel security, and international nuclear security cooperation programmes, have improved Pakistan's nuclear security, the CRS said.

"However, instability in Pakistan has called the extent and durability of these reforms into question. Some observers fear radical takeover of the Pakistani government or diversion of material or technology by personnel within Pakistan's nuclear complex," the CRS said.

Around 130 Pak nuclear warheads aimed at deterring India: US govt report - Times of India
Next time you copy paste, make sure to remove advertisements from the final form.

Well lets see.

1. They are aimed at India. Ya. Who else will they be aimed at? Afghanistan?
2. They are aimed at deterring India. Whoa! That was flash news. Except for every other Pakistani analyst screaming what they are for.

Nothing new here.

Or keep developing our BDM, get S400 and Israeli SAMs and save a substantial part of our nation.
do you think the Pakistanis just sit there twiddling their thumb whilst you get such counter measures? they just tested a alcm a few days ago, cruise missile are one of the hardest missiles to intercept.

I for one actually find it very funny that a country sitting on nearly 1000 nukes is compalining about a country which may or may not have a 100 nukes. I think they should be more worried about their own extremists like trumph who are leading in presidential race and may not hesitate to press the button on a whim.
Fully agree and they want ur on mercy of india at one hand they sell weapons to india and other hand they show their probleum in our nukes who are gurantor of no war

Zia ul haq bastered policies we are served today why he helped usa that time let soviets kicked their butts

Zia has ruined the nations future bhutto was atleast very right in foreign policies i condemn bhutto on what stupid constitution he gave but his foregn policies were right

Time to take a distance from USA forever

In other news the grass is green and fish live in water *gasp*

docruise hink the Pakistanis just sit there twiddling their thumb whilst you get such counter measures? they just tested a alcm a few days ago, cruise missile are one of the hardest missiles to intercept.

So do we.There are ground works going on for an Anti cruise defence system. You see saving 10 men out of 100 is still better than saving non.

So do we.There are ground works going on for an Anti cruise defence system. You see saving 10 men out of 100 is still better than saving non.
the brahmos is a high flying short range cruise missile thats not a problem for them. the nirbhay is something that they should keep an eye out for.

130 Or 130000..... nukes. That doesn't matter.
What matters?
1. We have enough that makes their land of pure,land of radio active dust in case of aggression.

2.Our Economy. The more we grow, the higher the stakes for world powers in us and the more they make sure that this part of the world keeps going without nukes.

Holllaaaa

1. Feeling is mutual about the land of slums here in Pakistan.

2. You economy is dependent on foreign masters and they will ensure that their investments in India are not evaporated along with Indian population in case of hostilities with Pakistan.

I think we are on the same page here, and you will agree that delusion of Akhand Bharat has died its natural death thanks to Pakistani nukes.

the brahmos is a high flying short range cruise missile thats not a problem for them. the nirbhay is something that they should keep an eye out for.

Exocet is a sea skimming Anti Ship Missile which travels about 2-3 meters ( new ones maybe more close to 1) and BrahMos anti ship version does upto 4 meters, so a high flying missile will not do justice to its capabilities.

On Nirbhay, it will take some time. What's intersing is a mini version of it, it will have a range of near around 600km. But all that remains to be seen.

1. Feeling is mutual about the land of slums here in Pakistan.

2. You economy is dependent on foreign masters and they will ensure that their investments in India are not evaporated along with Indian population in case of hostilities with Pakistan.

I think we are on the same page here, and you will agree that delusion of Akhand Bharat has died its natural death thanks to Pakistani nukes.

Indian economy is dependent upon foreign nations? Actually no, unlike China which is heavily dependent upon exports , India at present is seeing growth mainly due to local consumption. So that notion is false here.

On Akhand Bharat? I will be truthful , it was this forum which taught me that something like this ever existed( about the so called ... leave it. Our only aim is to make both ends meet of all Indians. Some name it being a super power... so be it.

images

Washington: Pakistan's nuclear warheads which are estimated to be between 110-130 are aimed at deterring India from taking military action against it, a latest Congressional report has said.

The report also expressed concern that Islamabad's "full spectrum deterrence" doctrine has increased risk of nuclear conflict between the two South Asian neighbours.

"Pakistan's nuclear arsenal probably consists of approximately 110-130 nuclear warheads, although it could have more. Islamabad is producing fissile material, adding to related production facilities, deploying additional nuclear weapons, and new types of delivery vehicles," Congressional Research Service (CRS) said in its latest report.

In its 28-page report, the CRS noted that Pakistan's nuclear arsenal is widely regarded as designed to dissuade India from taking military action against it, but Islamabad's expansion of its nuclear arsenal, development of new types of nuclear weapons and adoption of a doctrine called "full spectrum deterrence" have led some observers to express concern about an increased risk of nuclear conflict between Pakistan and India, which also continues to expand its nuclear arsenal.

CRS is the independent research wing of the US Congress, which prepares periodic reports by eminent experts on a wide range of issues so as to help lawmakers take informed decisions.

Reports of CRS are not considered as an official view of the US Congress.

"Pakistan has in recent years taken a number of steps to increase international confidence in the security of its nuclear arsenal," said the CRS report authored by Paul K Kerr and Mary Beth Nikitin.

Moreover, Pakistani and US officials argue that, since the 2004 revelations about a procurement network run by former Pakistani nuclear official A Q Khan, Islamabad has taken a number of steps to improve its nuclear security and to prevent further proliferation of nuclear-related technologies and materials, it said.

A number of important initiatives, such as strengthened export control laws, improved personnel security, and international nuclear security cooperation programmes, have improved Pakistan's nuclear security, the CRS said.

"However, instability in Pakistan has called the extent and durability of these reforms into question. Some observers fear radical takeover of the Pakistani government or diversion of material or technology by personnel within Pakistan's nuclear complex," the CRS said.

"While US and Pakistani officials continue to express confidence in controls over Pakistan's nuclear weapons, continued instability in the country could impact these safeguards. Furthermore, continued Indian and Pakistani nuclear weapons development could jeopardise strategic stability between the two countries," it concluded.

According to CRS, Pakistan has asserted that continued exclusion of the country from the NSG "would adversely affect regional peace, security and stability," as well as "undermine the global non-proliferation regime."

According to the US law, the United States could apparently advocate for Pakistan's NSG membership without congressional approval.

Ambassador Olson testified on December 16, 2015, that the Obama Administration is "not negotiating...a civil nuclear cooperation agreement with...Pakistan."

However, press reports indicate that the United States is considering supporting Islamabad's NSG membership in exchange for Pakistani actions to reduce perceived dangers associated with the country's nuclear weapons programme, it said.

PTI

Pakistan's nuke warheads aimed at deterring India: US report | Zee News
Pakistan is only investing in tactical nukes because its full military resources and focus is being put on Operation Zarb e Azb; leaving our Eastern border very vulnerable to an attack - our current conventional force is more than enough to thwart Indian aggression.

Exocet is a sea skimming Anti Ship Missile which travels about 2-3 meters ( new ones maybe more close to 1) and BrahMos anti ship version does upto 4 meters, so a high flying missile will not do justice to its capabilities.

On Nirbhay, it will take some time. What's intersing is a mini version of it, it will have a range of near around 600km. But all that remains to be seen.
remove asm's from here as they are reserved for ships only. the brahmos needs to fly at high altitude to get the ram engine going and then descend to skimming altitude then go in for the kill. alcm's and glcm's are my favorite kind of cm. the idea was to have a babur alcm but its to big, hence the raad was born.

remove asm's from here as they are reserved for ships only. the brahmos needs to fly at high altitude to get the ram engine going and then descend to skimming altitude then go in for the kill. alcm's and glcm's are my favorite kind of cm. the idea was to have a babur alcm but its to big, hence the raad was born.

Yes, quite right. But the 3rd Block of BrahMos , in the land attack and anti ship role both has the capability to keep going at around 10km height and then take a vertical dive .

Yes and ALCMs are too my fav. Alas , we don't have an operational one now. BrahMos will be inducted but its quite costly. There was a proposal about a cheaper ALCM with a range of about 120-150 km, I don't know if the funds have been givent in. But yes personally I am very impressed with Raad.

Indian economy is dependent upon foreign nations? Actually no, unlike China which is heavily dependent upon exports , India at present is seeing growth mainly due to local consumption. So that notion is false here.

On Akhand Bharat? I will be truthful , it was this forum which taught me that something like this ever existed( about the so called ... leave it. Our only aim is to make both ends meet of all Indians. Some name it being a super power... so be it.

Patriotism is good and blind partiotism my friend can be deadly.
Just go on the USAID website and check for yourself that which nation is only second to Isreal, as a receiver of American AID. Dont want to burst your bubble but your whole economy is dependent on the sustain push by western civilization and its been gonig on since 90s I believe. The moment they pull the plug, every knows what will happen. You are dependand on them as they see you as a useful tool against Pakistan and China.

And I am glad your dont hold such notions about Akhand Bharat and I sincerely hope there are many in India who share your thoughts, but my friend, the problem is that nut cases that rule you, are well versed on the subject since their days in RSS "jangiya wearing" schools. Recently I was watching this Mahdi Hassan oxford union debate with one of your BJP "sitting" minister and same question was asked as to why Indian map in RSS offices show both Pakistan and Bangalesh as part of India!

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom