What's new

Pakistan's Internet censorship

Political cartoonists split on usefulness of 'Everybody Draw Muhammad Day'

"Shock for shock's sake." "Choreographed punditry." And "wrong, childish and needlessly provocative."

That's what some critics think of Thursday's Facebook-ignited campaign titled "Everybody Draw Muhammad Day." But those aren't Islamic extremists speaking. Those are the words of pro-free-speech political cartoonists.

Some people might draw Muhammad on Thursday as part of a socially networked protest to caricature the Islamic prophet. Just don't expect most professional political cartoonists to join in.

"I don't think it's kowtowing to be respectful of another's belief system," says San Diego Union-Tribune cartoonist Steve Breen. "I seldom participate in staged editorial events," says Seattle Post-Intelligencer cartoonist David Horsey. And "the 'Draw Muhammad Day' is a demonstration in the worst impulse for some editorial cartoonists," says Chicago Tribune cartoonist Scott Stantis.

Those sentiments reflect the official stance of the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists. The group's president, Sacramento Bee cartoonist Rex Babin, says: "I would be opposed to our organization getting behind such an 'event' because . . . something like that can be too easily co-opted by interest groups [whose agenda can go] beyond a simple defense of free expression." Past AAEC president Ted Rall also says he won't draw Muhammad on Thursday, either.

As a protest, "Everybody Draw Muhammad Day" was planned after the creators of TV's "South Park" complained last month that Comedy Central edited their attempts to render Muhammad. Some Muslims consider any depiction of Muhammad to be blasphemous, though Islamic scholar Babak Rahimi, who teaches at the University of California San Diego, says: "It is a well-known fact that aesthetic depictions of the prophet have been and remain a major cultural feature of Muslim societies around the world."

Breen and Horsey are among 19 Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoonists who signed a petition to support "South Park" creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker. But they, as well as such other signees as Clay Bennett, Matt Davies and Mike Peters, say they do not plan to publish a Muhammad cartoon Thursday.

Also not a participant in the protest: Seattle cartoonist Molly Norris, whose illustration last month spawned the campaign. "Fight for the right to draw Muhammad, then decline doing so," she says.

Norris's cartoon inspired Facebook pages, including one that has drawn more than 60,000 supporters. She says she has joined a Facebook page that decries the "Draw Muhammad" campaign -- "AGAINST Everybody Draw Muhammad Day" has attracted more than 70,000 supporters.

But petition signee Mark Fiore, whose clients include SFGate.com, says his political animation Thursday will incorporate Muhammad. And noted Islamic critic Ayaan Hirsi Ali, whose book "Nomad: From Islam to America" was published this week, says the protest "is a positive campaign" that can "promote self-reflection among Muslims."

Still, Toronto-based political cartoonist Nikahang Kowsar, who describes his faith as "Muslim Lite," says: "I believe we have the right to offend, but when offense is seen as 'insult,' it might be a bad time to draw an offensive cartoon."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/19/AR2010051905384.html?hpid=sec-religion

I just browsed that link. It is actually very disturbing when general public (non muslims) are making forth right comments and maligning Muslims.

A single person does not define the action of the whole community or society or be it religion. Some morons don't understand that. Any person would be provoked to do something violent after reading those comments on that page, it is us who are provoking them to mark it by blood shed..

Political cartoonists split on usefulness of 'Everybody Draw Muhammad Day'
Network NewsX Profile

View More Activity

TOOLBOX
Resize Print E-mail Yahoo! BuzzReprints

COMMENT
31 Comments | View All »
POST A COMMENT
You must be logged in to leave a comment. Log in | Register
Why Do I Have to Log In Again?
Log In Again? CLOSEWe've made some updates to washingtonpost.com's Groups, MyPost and comment pages. We need you to verify your MyPost ID by logging in before you can post to the new pages. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Discussion PolicyYour browser's settings may be preventing you from commenting on and viewing comments about this item. See instructions for fixing the problem.
Discussion Policy CLOSEComments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.

Who's Blogging» Links to this article
By Michael Cavna
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, May 20, 2010

"Shock for shock's sake." "Choreographed punditry." And "wrong, childish and needlessly provocative."

That's what some critics think of Thursday's Facebook-ignited campaign titled "Everybody Draw Muhammad Day." But those aren't Islamic extremists speaking. Those are the words of pro-free-speech political cartoonists.

Some people might draw Muhammad on Thursday as part of a socially networked protest to caricature the Islamic prophet. Just don't expect most professional political cartoonists to join in.

"I don't think it's kowtowing to be respectful of another's belief system," says San Diego Union-Tribune cartoonist Steve Breen. "I seldom participate in staged editorial events," says Seattle Post-Intelligencer cartoonist David Horsey. And "the 'Draw Muhammad Day' is a demonstration in the worst impulse for some editorial cartoonists," says Chicago Tribune cartoonist Scott Stantis.

Those sentiments reflect the official stance of the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists. The group's president, Sacramento Bee cartoonist Rex Babin, says: "I would be opposed to our organization getting behind such an 'event' because . . . something like that can be too easily co-opted by interest groups [whose agenda can go] beyond a simple defense of free expression." Past AAEC president Ted Rall also says he won't draw Muhammad on Thursday, either.

As a protest, "Everybody Draw Muhammad Day" was planned after the creators of TV's "South Park" complained last month that Comedy Central edited their attempts to render Muhammad. Some Muslims consider any depiction of Muhammad to be blasphemous, though Islamic scholar Babak Rahimi, who teaches at the University of California San Diego, says: "It is a well-known fact that aesthetic depictions of the prophet have been and remain a major cultural feature of Muslim societies around the world."

Breen and Horsey are among 19 Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoonists who signed a petition to support "South Park" creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker. But they, as well as such other signees as Clay Bennett, Matt Davies and Mike Peters, say they do not plan to publish a Muhammad cartoon Thursday.

Also not a participant in the protest: Seattle cartoonist Molly Norris, whose illustration last month spawned the campaign. "Fight for the right to draw Muhammad, then decline doing so," she says.

Norris's cartoon inspired Facebook pages, including one that has drawn more than 60,000 supporters. She says she has joined a Facebook page that decries the "Draw Muhammad" campaign -- "AGAINST Everybody Draw Muhammad Day" has attracted more than 70,000 supporters.

But petition signee Mark Fiore, whose clients include SFGate.com, says his political animation Thursday will incorporate Muhammad. And noted Islamic critic Ayaan Hirsi Ali, whose book "Nomad: From Islam to America" was published this week, says the protest "is a positive campaign" that can "promote self-reflection among Muslims."

Still, Toronto-based political cartoonist Nikahang Kowsar, who describes his faith as "Muslim Lite," says: "I believe we have the right to offend, but when offense is seen as 'insult,' it might be a bad time to draw an offensive cartoon."

I just browsed that link. It is actually very disturbing when general public (non muslims) are making forth right comments and maligning Muslims.

A single person does not define the action of the whole community or society or be it religion. Some morons don't understand that. Any person would be provoked to do something violent after reading those comments on that page, it is us who are provoking them to mark it by blood shed..

Yes, the comments have crossed all limits, there should at least be some moderation. It in unfortunate that such things creates unnecessary rifts between communities.

Sad to see that Facebook has allowed many of the things that are being said under the guise of Freedom of Expression. Perhaps freedom of speech is only good till it is used as a means to insult and malign a whole group of people.

Disproportionate response was what prompted the current campaign. And this time again - it is a disproportionate response. I think the campeign was to end Today, so most probably the ban will be lifted within a couple of days.

The creators of the community would be smiling right now - reading how 2-3 out of work graphic designers can deprive website access to millions. Disproportionate I say again.

I am currently reading articles on Wiki. Why its not opening with you? its opening with me .

yeah it depends upon service provider as well,it's working for me as i posted earlier....only a couple of pages (regarding my search) on Hazarat Muhammad(SAWW) were blocked.

Otherwise it's going good.

Actually I did not like what happened but then I read what Mullah Omar said about the incident. He made a lot of sense on why he ordered the destruction of the Statues.

His views were the opposite in 1999:

"The government considers the Bamyan statues as an example of a potential major source of income for Afghanistan from international visitors. The Taliban states that Bamyan shall not be destroyed but protected."

After destroying them, he said this.

"I did not want to destroy the Bamiyan Buddha. In fact, some foreigners came to me and said they would like to conduct the repair work of the Bamiyan Buddha that had been slightly damaged due to rains. This shocked me. I thought, these callous people have no regard for thousands of living human beings -- the Afghans who are dying of hunger, but they are so concerned about non-living objects like the Buddha. This was extremely deplorable. That is why I ordered its destruction. Had they come for humanitarian work, I would have never ordered the Buddha's destruction."

What a BS arguement to support hate filled act. Tell me what difference does that made into lives of people dying of hunger? and what about people who died (and are still dying) from their bullets, bombs and beheading?

What would your opinion be if somebody start paying poor people for drawing sketches of Prophet (PBUH)? Afterall, that will be a humanitarian act for providing employement to poor and needy people dying of hunger.

I asked this one question before and I will ask it again, why is ok to take hits after hits at the Muslims by trying to make fun of the Prophet. But then I want to see the level of tolerance of FB to lets say lets draw Holocaust. What will they say then, will I be allowed to do that.

such type of Sparking work already did by Anti islam orgniazations and countries in past to just check muslims... and all the time they are success just because muslims actually SLEEPING!!! they arebusy in surfing internet chatting.. fonecalls.. dates blaa blaa! atleast we should unite today thats it! either banned websites or not! atleast this is time to unite Muslims around the world enough propoganda against muslims.

Apparently, my ISP, instead of blocking Wiki, Flick, etc; has blocked GMail.

:mad::mad::mad:

Back
Top Bottom