What's new

Pakistan’s identity crisis!

Pakistan should move away from religion and do some serious reforms and be more progressive. Zia fukd up pretty badly with his islamization and we're seeing the results now.. taliban, al qaeda and bin laden, lal masjid, anti-India "good jihadi" terrorists, radicalized youth... the US president refusing to visit.

I have always found on internet, TV, print or other media where pakistanis discuss about themselves that they face with several dichotomies like -
1. whether pakistanis are native arabs or indians;
2. does the history before Mohd Bin Qasim belong to pakistanis or Indians;
3. whether jinnah preached purely an islamic state or a secular state
4. whether pakistan should implement sharia a la saudi arabia / Taliban or accommodate non muslims;
5. whether urdu (which is a language indian gangetic belt) or the languages of the soil;
6. whether pakistan is an ideology or an outcome of someone's personal ambitions.
They keep discussing them and instead of trying to get to the truth they often take a stand and keep justifying it.

Hmm your post does not make any sense. Not Pakistanis but Indians write about the things you mentioned, especially being arab or indian. No Pakistani i have ever met irl ever claimed to be any of those things.

Urdu is language of muslim invaders, well established fact.

At the end of the day Pakistanis will always identify with Islam over non-existant hindu identity. I advice hindus to first give rights to dalits before being obssive over ancient Pakistani ancestors religions which may have little bit of similarity with current day Indian hindus.

We can hardly say that the ideology promoted by thinkers like Sir Syed Ahmed Khan or Allama Iqbal which were less principled than other Islamic schools of thoughts, focusing more on personal beliefs, challenging traditional Muslim views and promoting pragmatism were in anyway inflexible. You're mistaking it for a different ideology which came about in full strength in the '70s.

Any ideology that stops evolving is inflexible. Great men had great ideas but as times change, so will have to the ideas. There are many who would follow Shah Waliullah and hold him as the progenitor of the idea of Pakistan. You may chose different reference points. However conflict is guaranteed in that closed loop of an ideology. An ideology has to be sufficiently broad to allow in new reference points, working inside of a closed loop tends to favour the inflexible.

Oooooooh no im so confused what im gonna do. Im doomed . And just look at Indians telling us about identity crises when there own leaders call India a Hindu state and its citizen sugarcoat their leaders statements and call it Secular state.

Because Islam alone has not been enough to gel together a nation . Because human nature is such that it does not conform to any one identity alone (regardless of whether we are discussing Hindus or Muslims, India or Pakistan). Once you removed the "Hindu" as a reference point (anti), other reference points crept out whether it be sub-religion based or language based. Basic human nature. Pakistan's insistence on being religion based then leads to questions on the specifics - how much & in what manner, a question which will always favour the fundamentalists. A question that the founders didn't intend to be answered, certainly not in any depth.

You've misunderstood me. I don't speak of a nation guided by religion, but a nation guided by a national identity inspired by the Muslim rulers of this sub-continent.

We can hardly say that the ideology promoted by thinkers like Sir Syed Ahmed Khan or Allama Iqbal which were less principled than other Islamic schools of thoughts, focusing more on personal beliefs, challenging traditional Muslim views and promoting pragmatism were in anyway inflexible. You're mistaking it for a different ideology which came about in full strength in the '70s.
In my opinion the ideology was perfect untill the 2-nation theory came up and then all the goods done by those thinkers came under the shadow of that theory.

Any ideology that stops evolving is inflexible. Great men had great ideas but as times change, so will have to the ideas.

Proponents of the ideology made it clear their views were guided by how society was rapidly changing. What makes you think this ideology has stopped evolving? It's been buried deep underground, with people more supportive of invaders and conquerors than poets and scholars.

So you need a masters degree in conflict-resolution to come up with this journalistic masterpiece?

Give me a f**king break, its a 15 year olds homework. I could write a more thought provoking article in under 30 minutes.
Hi,
Please sir, it would very pleasnt if you could share and put your thoughts into words (no disrespect intended)

Proponents of the ideology made it clear their views were guided by how society was rapidly changing. What makes you think this ideology has stopped evolving? It's been buried deep underground, with people more supportive of invaders and conquerors than poets and scholars.

That's the problem with the very nature of how that ideology was set out. It was always a risk that it was going to end up shorn of any subtleties, defined purely by religion. The proponents of the ideology ran the risk that it would end up in the hands of those who would see it in the terms that was necessary to rally the people around - religion alone. That is where the failure lies, in an inability to control the outcome, something that was inherent as a risk when religion was brought into the mix.

Lol
I changed my signature just now.

But what was oxymoron-ish in the earlier one?? :lol:

lol! i see, but meh, i can give you a better one.

"Criticize and generalize as much as possible, No one is an individual here"

stole it from somewhere, but i think it fits the picture.

You've misunderstood me. I don't speak of a nation guided by religion, but a nation guided by a national identity inspired by the Muslim rulers of this sub-continent.

That may well be true of your opinion but the nation state that is Pakistan has come to be seen as defined by Islam. That was inevitable of that ideology.

lol! i see, but meh, i can give you a better one.

"Criticize and generalize as much as possible, No one is an individual here"

stole it from somewhere, but i think it fits the picture.
mehhhh!
use that as your signature. :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom