What's new

Pakistan's English Obssession & Lack of Linguistic Pride

Reaction score
Country
Norway
When languages and cultures are destroyed by incompetency, you get something like this. Behold the Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority's "translation" of Islamabad International Airport.

33994759_1930912003635441_1305825686123970560_n.jpg

International = بین اقوامی (Bainul Aqwami)
Airport =ہوائی اڈے (Hawai Adda)

Makes me wonder what the average IQ is of the people running this government department. Oh...well this should answer my question about IQ...read the Urdu translation of Civil Aviation Authority. "Ceevul Aay Vee Aay Shun Ator It Tee"

33995521_1826259274349551_2277990227903512576_n.jpg

Civil can be قومی
Aviation = هوا بازی
Authority = مقتدرہ

And this nonsense is not an isolated incident. Just last month, The Citizens Archive of Pakistan inaugurated the "National History Museum" as the "نیشنل ہستورے میوزیم".

Museum =عجائب گھر (Ajaib Ghar)
National = قومی (Quami)
History = تاریخ (Tareekh)

And I don't even know WTF this is? Brought to you be Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy. These illiterate mutts can't even speak proper English or Urdu...god only knows if they can speak their own mother tongues properly.

33943279_1930916220301686_4716848911145238528_n.jpg

Stop allowing incompetent government departments and bourgeoisie civil society groups to destroy our cultures and our languages. This is not just about Urdu...all our languages in Pakistan are under threat due to ignorance like this.

There is no Urdu word called "aaf".

Supreme Court of Pakistan

Proper Urdu = عدالت عظمیٰ پاکستان

Bhongi Urdu =
pic_1519638413.jpg

Somebody tell me what does the word "aaf" mean in Urdu.

Of = Ki or Ka

پاکستان کا عدالت عظمیٰ

Thats the literal translation

When languages and cultures are destroyed by incompetency, you get something like this. Behold the Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority's "translation" of Islamabad International Airport.

33994759_1930912003635441_1305825686123970560_n.jpg

International = بین اقوامی (Bainul Aqwami)
Airport =ہوائی اڈے (Hawai Adda)

Makes me wonder what the average IQ is of the people running this government department. Oh...well this should answer my question about IQ...read the Urdu translation of Civil Aviation Authority. "Ceevul Aay Vee Aay Shun Ator It Tee"

33995521_1826259274349551_2277990227903512576_n.jpg

Civil can be قومی
Aviation = هوا بازی
Authority = مقتدرہ

And this nonsense is not an isolated incident. Just last month, The Citizens Archive of Pakistan inaugurated the "National History Museum" as the "نیشنل ہستورے میوزیم".

Museum =عجائب گھر (Ajaib Ghar)
National = قومی (Quami)
History = تاریخ (Tareekh)

And I don't even know WTF this is? Brought to you be Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy. These illiterate mutts can't even speak proper English or Urdu...god only knows if they can speak their own mother tongues properly.

33943279_1930916220301686_4716848911145238528_n.jpg

Stop allowing incompetent government departments and bourgeoisie civil society groups to destroy our cultures and our languages. This is not just about Urdu...all our languages in Pakistan are under threat due to ignorance like this.

Hi,

So---what is the big deal---. We have been sitting on the highway of the invaders for thousands of years---.

Our language would change by default due to the activity in the region of foreign forces---.

Hi,

So---what is the big deal---. We have been sitting on the highway of the invaders for thousands of years---.

Our language would change by default due to the activity in the region of foreign forces---.
Sir, the point is that we have all those words in our language, OP is not asking for already accepted words from English like car, motorcycle, phone, television, radio etc to be replaced by some Urdu compounded words....so we are open to new words but what the hell are they doing is replacing already beautiful Urdu words with English words and writing them in Urdu.

Last edited:
The language is trivial issue we need to collect taxes first

Tax = %ٹیکس 30%-35

کیا آپ ٹیکس ادا کرتے ہیں؟

کیا آپ نے زندگی میں ٹیکس ادا نہیں کیا ؟

"ٹیکس دفتر یہاں ہے"

اگر آپ ٹیکس کے دفتر کو ڈھونڈ رہے ہیں تو مجھے مدد کرنے دو

پڑوسی نے کوئی ٹیکس ادا نہیں کیا، لیکن ہم آپ کے بارے میں فکر مند ہیں

Language and Poetry Bazi and Speech debates are fantastic in countries that have a tax collection system in place

Last edited:
Hi,

right .

I support this, but it would have to be a gradual change. Also another problem is that a large percent of the population are native Punjabi, Pukhto, Hindko, Seraiki speakers. Would have to start in schools.

Well the problem is not English or Urdu , but the problem really is we only have 30-35 % real educated people 20% are just graduates by name only. And 50% population is not very literate

Literacy rate has to be 95%-99% in order to have a society that follows conventional reasoning

The 30-35% who do have certain credentials , are more focused on English because it is needed for work, so they tend to introduce English words in Urdu context

Language change with time especially urdu which is amalgamation of sansikrat and Farsi. Now due to importance of english, its words are also being added.
Guys take it with a pinch of salt :-) no body is going to understand Muqtadra shari Hawabazi, people will understand civil aviation authority

What I view Pakistani General knowledge shows it really is quite sad to see these shows were the majority of the "general people" have tremendously low IQ levels on general knowledge matters

But the 25-30% people who do turn out to be good graduates , tend to work on interesting projects and they are bit heavy on English vocabulary and this then becomes visible in their completed projects

Of = Ki or Ka

پاکستان کا عدالت عظمیٰ

Thats the literal translation

world is becoming global village , internet , tv , telephone , facebook, whatsap , you have to mix internationally accepted words in local dialect. you can not live in a closed room.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom