What's new

Pakistan's Energy & Water - News and Updates

i thought the problem was under-utilization of the production capacity. that the old power plants were not used to their maximum potential and the real possible production capacity was 18k MW.

so these new power plants are in addition to that total production capacity, or are they pre existing power plants being brought up to their potential?

you are right............. the installed capacity is around 15000MW+

But some plants needs refurbishment and some plants are awaiting payments from the government :lol:

ISLAMABAD (APP) - Director General of Pakistan Electric Power Company (PEPCO) Muhammad Khalid Thursday expressed an optimism that 2500MW additional electricity would be added to the system by June, 2010.

Addressing a new conference here at IESCO headquarters, he said eight Independent Power Producers (IPPs) and eight Rental Power Plants (RPPs) would start generating 2500MW electricity by June this year, which would help manage the summer-increased load in a better way. Currently, total power generation in the country is around 9,589MW against the demand of 13,802MW showing shortfall of 4,213MW in peak hours.

However, the DG PEPCO said that the shortfall varies time-to- time and is totally depends on demand and supply of the commodity. He said some power plants are closed for annual maintenance work in October, November, February and March that reduce the 1004MW electricity production.

Khalid said the government has evolved an effective strategy to meet the growing demand of electricity under short, mid and long- term plans.

To a question, he said the PEPCO has exempted defence related sensitive installations, public sector school and universities, water supply schemes from the load-shedding.

Commenting on the financial position of the company, he said its circular debt is around Rs. 150 billion, while different organizations has to pay Rs. 180 billion to PEPCO.

The DG advised the consumers to avoid excessive use of electricity so that the load-shedding duration could be curtailed to maximum extent.

He said sufficient electricity could be saved if the consumers start using energy efficient equipments, which would not only help the government to manage the load but also reduce their monthly bills substantially.

He said ordinary uninterrupted power supply (UPS) systems available in the market consume five units to generate one unit ultimately increasing load as well as electricity bill.

What total power generation in the pakistan is around 9,589MW???

A state like Tamilnadu consumes more power than that.

Govt. of pakistan should go for Ultra Mega Power Plants of 4000 MW they are cheaper option. As India is building 12 UMPP of 4000 MW each.

We have to learn from china they gives subsidized and uninterrupted power to the industry and see where they are.

How can pakistan utilize its full capabilities or develop if govt don't give power to run Industries, to run tube well to farmers, to light the business establishment.

Also, govt. of pakistan should diversify its options so that they don't depend on one.

so wait wernt we ghetting nuclear power plants from china and russia??????

that was rumor, also nuclear power is costly and not a best option.

It requires high investment + takes long time + cost of per unit is more. + u have to import Uranium etc. etc.

The thermal power is best and cheaper option as u have got coal reserves utilize them.

And u can also build gas based power plants.

What total power generation in the pakistan is around 9,589MW???

A state like Tamilnadu consumes more power than that.

Govt. of pakistan should go for Ultra Mega Power Plants of 4000 MW they are cheaper option. As India is building 12 UMPP of 4000 MW each.

We have to learn from china they gives subsidized and uninterrupted power to the industry and see where they are.

How can pakistan utilize its full capabilities or develop if govt don't give power to run Industries, to run tube well to farmers, to light the business establishment.

Also, govt. of pakistan should diversify its options so that they don't depend on one.

Every journalist count the power plants himself i guess

He knows some power plants and count the total energy generated by them and then write in his articles :rofl::rofl::rofl:

The total energy is a lot more than 9000MW

dee842a8d6722332bedd9b769d6b0f85.jpg

15e5b441ffe444b769302797d77024e1.gif

Oh my godness.......... 6-7 cents only :what:

You know the local electricity that we are producing from Oil and Gas costs us around 8-10 cents and when in some areas we are producing electricity at 12 cents per unit.

Take it buddy take it........... its a very good deal

And after the supply of Electricity to Gwadar Iran had a proposal of 1000MW of electricity for Balochistan and i believe the very same project has been extended now to provide 2200MW instead of 1000 (and like since yesterday i am reading 1100MW)

its a great deal in terms of costs now the only worrying part is the infrastructure and availability of funds and if the government is willing to go ahead i think these minor hurdles can also be removed

Don't really want to spoil the party here, but I had heard negative reviews about Pakistan's RPP before. I did some research again, and here it comes.

8 RPP would cause a deficit Rs 49 billion annually | 12 News

Asian Development Bank (ADB) has reported that the Government would have to bear a deficit of Rs 49 Billion annually if it would install eight RPPs. Agreements should be renegotiated.
Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA) has released the audit report of ADB. Load Shedding would not come to a complete end even after the installation of the Rental Power Plants (RPP). Tariff of electricity would have to be raised in 2011 as subsidy would be withdrawn.
In 2011 fourteen rental power plants would increase the price by 87%. The tariff in 2011 would raise the electricity prices to Rs 10.23 per unit. Advance payment of 14% to the companies was a mistake. If the Government installs 8 RPP then it would face a deficit of Rs 49 billion annually, while if the Government opts for 14 RPP then the deficit would swell up to Rs 79 billion per year. 500MW of IPPs are not being utilized to produce electricity due to administrative reasons.

Yes 2500 MW will be added, but it's only technically true. The original report does not state at what cost. Rs 10+ per unit is way too expensive for a traditional fuel power plant. And how is the Rs 49 bln deficit being covered?

The plain basic question is - why go for RPP with such a cost? There are reports of corruption too.

DAWN.COM | National | CJ urged to take note of corruption in RPP contracts

Don't really want to spoil the party here, but I had heard negative reviews about Pakistan's RPP before. I did some research again, and here it comes.

Yes 2500 MW will be added, but it's only technically true. The original report does not state at what cost. Rs 10+ per unit is way too expensive for a traditional fuel power plant. And how is the Rs 49 bln deficit being covered?

The plain basic question is - why go for RPP with such a cost? There are reports of corruption too.

DAWN.COM | National | CJ urged to take note of corruption in RPP contracts

Dear friend,

This is Pakistan, our leaders are willing to import electricity with 12-13 cents per unit also. :hitwall:

(From rental power plants)

i have made this thread sticky. please post all the energy related news in this thread. otherwise its hard to keep track of everything.

Thanks

i have made this thread sticky. please post all the energy related news in this thread. otherwise its hard to keep track of everything.

Thanks

thanks Pirzada saaab

You and me both has a keen interest in Economy section but unfortunately this is one of the least active section of this forum. By merging this thread hopefully we will be able to discuss about our energy problems and all related news in one thread henceforth :smitten:

Thanks for merging this thread

Iran vexed by Pakistan’s inaction over power offer
By Baqir Sajjad Syed
Monday, 22 Mar, 2010

ISLAMABAD: Iran appears to be displeased with Pakistan’s indifference to its offer to export electricity and its ambassador in Islamabad finds no justification for lack of progress in reaching an agreement on the matter.

“I’m perplexed. I can’t understand what’s wrong with the Iranian offer,” Ambassador Masha’allah Shakeri said while talking to Dawn.

Iran signed a memorandum of understanding with Pakistan in December 2008 to provide 1,135MW of electricity with an offer to double the export, if needed.

Ambassador Shakeri said that over the past 15 months he had met Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, Power Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf, officials of the Board of Investment and Private Power and Infrastructure Board, but was yet to hear anything from them on the subject of reaching an agreement.

“Time is of the essence. Should Iran wait forever,” the ambassador said. What was the need to sign the MoU, he asked.

About the power shortage in Pakistan which has risen to 4,500MW causing outages of up to 10 hours across the country, Mr Shakeri said he was at a loss to understand what stopped Pakistan from moving forward on the Iranian offer.

Iran, eyeing itself as a regional power hub being the world’s 19th largest electricity producer, says seven countries—Russia, India, Qatar, the UAE, Jordan, Syria and Oman–were interested in Iranian electricity.

Turkey, Armenia and Afghanistan are importing electricity from Iran, which produces 50,000MW and is expecting to add another 4000-5000MW in coming years from hydel sources.

Iran’s impatience may also be attributed to the fresh round of sanctions likely to be imposed by the West over its nuclear programme. The move is being held back because of Chinese pressure.

The sanctions, which may be imposed by June, could hurt Iranian oil exports worth billions of dollars.

Sources here revealed that progress on the Iran-Pakistan MoU had been impeded by lack of financial resources, absence of required infrastructure and differences over tariff.

Ambassador Shakeri, however, said Iran was ready to help Pakistan overcome these hurdles.

“Honestly we would like to go with Pakistan. Our objective is to address Pakistan’s immediate electricity needs. We are ready to build infrastructure. Our cooperation can even include financial assistance.”

--------------------------

So Iran is now even willing to build an infrastructure for us........ what the hell is wrong with our government? Go ahead idiots :angry::angry::angry:

Why are we not taking this opportunity? We should get this deal done and make our relationship even better with Iran.

Back
Top Bottom