What's new

Pakistan's Energy & Water - News and Updates

quite amazing why our gov is quite. kick backs? american pressure? or there are some other terms and conditions not favourable to us? what could be the reason.

quite amazing why our gov is quite. kick backs? american pressure? or there are some other terms and conditions not favourable to us? what could be the reason.

The pockets of our leaders have not been filled. Today i was reading on Geo i think where Raja Parvez Ashraf was saying there is no solution but RPP (Rental Power Plants) in the country. Ok i agree we will have to install few RPP's also but if Iran is offering you electricity at half price and on top of that ready to set infrastructure as well as financial assistance whats wrong with the leaders?

They might install 12/13 cents per unit RPPs but they are not willing to buy electricity at 6/7 cents per unit from Iran :flame::flame::flame:

The pockets of our leaders have not been filled. Today i was reading on Geo i think where Raja Parvez Ashraf was saying there is no solution but RPP (Rental Power Plants) in the country. Ok i agree we will have to install few RPP's also but if Iran is offering you electricity at half price and on top of that ready to set infrastructure as well as financial assistance whats wrong with the leaders?

They might install 12/13 cents per unit RPPs but they are not willing to buy electricity at 6/7 cents per unit from Iran :flame::flame::flame:

I feel like peeing in the talu of that Raja Parvez Musharaf. :angry:
they keep on playing with public. we do react but what's the outcome? somehow I feel that we need some sort of revolution.

exactly. in the end everything ends up with power mafia, sugar mafia, transport mafia.
how will the mint money if we start gettin electricity at a cheaper rate.

I feel like peeing in the talu of that Raja Parvez Musharaf. :angry:
they keep on playing with public. we do react but what's the outcome? somehow I feel that we need some sort of revolution.

sir wat we need to do is get in there and change the system. revolution doesnt come for free. first everything will be destroyed and then ull have to build it again

sir wat we need to do is get in there and change the system. revolution doesnt come for free. first everything will be destroyed and then ull have to build it again
boss, an individual would also have to take the responsibility. we ourselves keep on breaking laws (for example, take a look at the traffic signals - people just zoom through red light). we too need to correct ourselves, take responsibilities (can't leave everything on govt and keep on cursing them). Sure, we do talk, but need to ACT rather talking.

I completely agree with you here.

boss, an individual would also have to take the responsibility. we ourselves keep on breaking laws (for example, take a look at the traffic signals - people just zoom through red light). we too need to correct ourselves, take responsibilities (can't leave everything on govt and keep on cursing them). Sure, we do talk, but need to ACT rather talking.

I completely agree with you here.

yup. lets first revolutionise ourselves only then we can change the system.

Iran annoyed over Pak's delay in finalising electricity import deal

Islamabad, Mar.23 (ANI): Iran has expressed serious discontent over the delay on the part of Pakistan in finalising the deal regarding importing electricity from it.
Iran's Ambassador to Pakistan Masha'allah Shakeri said Tehran had signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Islamabad in 2008 regarding providing 1,135MW of electricity, but even after 15 months no final agreement had been reached.

Shakeri said he has met Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, Power Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf and several top Pakistani officials in the past year and half but there has been no response from Islamabad.

"I'm perplexed. I can't understand what's wrong with the Iranian offer. Time is of the essence. Should Iran wait forever. What was the need to sign the MoU," The Dawn quoted Shakeri, as saying.

He said Iran is ready to help Pakistan overcome the numerous hurdles it is currently facing, and could also offer financial support in future.

"Honestly we would like to go with Pakistan. Our objective is to address Pakistan's immediate electricity needs. We are ready to build infrastructure. Our cooperation can even include financial assistance," Shakeri said.

Iran, which is the world's 19th largest electricity producer, is eyeing becoming a regional power hub, and says that several major countries such as Russia, India, Qatar, the UAE, Jordan, Syria and Oman have shown interest in buying electricity from it. (ANI)

Iran annoyed over Pak's delay in finalising electricity import deal - Oneindia News

Nice job Azad, but what Pakistan needs is a proper energy plan, though the guys setting in planning commission are far intelligent and informed than me but here are a few pointers:

1. First of all rehabilitation work on the existing resources i.e. the existing dams,
2. Building small dams,
3. Looking for alternate energy sources,
4. Import of energy from China, Iran and central asian states.
5. But for all of this more optimistic estimates of future energy needs, needs to be made.

Iran annoyed over Pak's delay in finalising electricity import deal

Islamabad, Mar.23 (ANI): Iran has expressed serious discontent over the delay on the part of Pakistan in finalising the deal regarding importing electricity from it.
Iran's Ambassador to Pakistan Masha'allah Shakeri said Tehran had signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Islamabad in 2008 regarding providing 1,135MW of electricity, but even after 15 months no final agreement had been reached.

Shakeri said he has met Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, Power Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf and several top Pakistani officials in the past year and half but there has been no response from Islamabad.

"I'm perplexed. I can't understand what's wrong with the Iranian offer. Time is of the essence. Should Iran wait forever. What was the need to sign the MoU," The Dawn quoted Shakeri, as saying.

He said Iran is ready to help Pakistan overcome the numerous hurdles it is currently facing, and could also offer financial support in future.

"Honestly we would like to go with Pakistan. Our objective is to address Pakistan's immediate electricity needs. We are ready to build infrastructure. Our cooperation can even include financial assistance," Shakeri said.

Iran, which is the world's 19th largest electricity producer, is eyeing becoming a regional power hub, and says that several major countries such as Russia, India, Qatar, the UAE, Jordan, Syria and Oman have shown interest in buying electricity from it. (ANI)

Iran annoyed over Pak's delay in finalising electricity import deal - Oneindia News
Well i guess they are underestimating the love tri-angle Iran. Pakistan and US is sharing and secondly, how about the balochistan situation and thirdly i think 1000 MW is too little too late for us.

i think importing Electricity from Iran and Tajikistan is the cheapest way of electricity in the shortest period possible. Rental Power plants are way too expensive.

Iran can import electricity to Balochistan and Sindh and Tajikistan can take care of NWFP. Punjab can use the electricity generated by Pakistans own resources and we will overcome the energy crisis for now.

Build 2 big dams in next 5-7 years (Bhasha + Bungi) to generate about 10,000MW of electricity and try to convince America or other countries for at least 2-3 Nuclear power plants before 2020. I think we can fullfill our energy demands soon but for now there is no cheaper option available but importing electricity from these nations.

Rental Power plants are way too expensive and i am strictly against this idea

This could also have two more reasons........delibaretly allow the power shortage to support a claim that the US needs to work with Pakistan as a partner in the WoT and to return those promises made for the sacrifice Pakistan has made by having a similar deal as that given to India. Pakistan knows full well that this will not happen but at least they can achieve somewhere close to it, which will suffice. The US will know very well that there is a huge shortage of energy in Pakistan.

Secondly, Many persons in Pakistan, simply do not pay their bills, and steal electricity to get by. This has clearly taken its toll as we need to understand, that at the end of the day, energy suppliers are running a business, and they need to be paid....if that won't happen, then realistically, why would they invest any further revenue into this scheme

WASHINGTON: The United States agreed on Wednesday to provide $125 million for energy development in Pakistan and will also assist in thermal power projects.

The decision, announced at a joint press briefing, followed a day-long meeting between US and Pakistani delegations to their first ministerial level strategic dialogue.

At the briefing US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton announced the $125 million pledge, support for Pakistan’s thermal power projects and also assistance for the Benazir income support programme.

But she dodged a question about Pakistan’s request for nuclear power plants, indicating that so far the United States wants to confine itself to supporting non-nuclear sources of energy.

Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi, who otherwise appeared eager to respond to all the questions – even those posed to Mrs Clinton –, did not answer this issue either.

Mr Qureshi told the briefing that the Americans also have agreed to “fast track” military hardware and equipment meant for Pakistan but withheld “for months and years”.

Secretary Clinton also stood her ground on the US position that Washington could not intervene in Pakistan’s relations with India, although it will continue to keep encouraging both to improve their relations.

In a 56-page document Pakistan had submitted before the talks, Islamabad had also sought US help to start the composite dialogue process with India.

While noting that it was in the interests of both India and Pakistan to talk to each other and such a dialogue will also improve the security situation in South Asia, Secretary Clinton said that the US “cannot influence the foreign policy of Pakistan or the foreign policy of India”.

The foreign minister said Pakistan had no problem with America’s relations with India but insisted that “these relations should not be at the cost of Pakistan”.

The most significant aspect of the briefing was the body language of the two leaders who appeared to have retained the positive posture they had in the morning when they briefed the media before the talks.

Both leaders insisted that the US and Pakistan had a desire to uplift their ties to the level of “productive partnership”, a phrase coined by the US special envoy Richard Holbrooke.

Secretary Clinton noted that US-Pakistan relations have had both positive and not so-positive phases and that “there can be disagreements in the future too” but she stressed that both remained committed to building up their ties.

“We do not want anything to disrupt our desire to move this relationship to a partnership,” she said.

She said the US wanted to move beyond a government-to-government relationship and was keen to involve the private sector as well. But she acknowledged that private sectors needed incentives to invest in Pakistan.

“We have work to do … in education, healthcare, agriculture, IT and telemedicine,” said Mrs Clinton while underlining the sectors where the two countries could cooperate with each other.

Mr Qureshi noted that during his visit to Capitol Hill on Tuesday he noticed that “the mood was completely different” from his previous visits.

Source: http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect...%24125m-for-energy,-power-plans-530-hh-04

‘Govt not buying electricity from Iran due to US pressure’

* Minister reaffirms commitment to honour winning female athletes at SAF games

By Tahir Niaz

ISLAMABAD: There is no valid reason why the government should not be serious about purchasing electricity from Iran especially at a time when the whole country is suffering from load shedding, Senator Professor Khurshid Ahmed said on Thursday, citing US pressure to be the main reason behind the hesitation.

Speaking on a point of order in the Upper House, he claimed that an American lobby was working against the interests of Iran, which was also creating hurdles for the Iran-Pakistan Pipeline Project and the provision of electricity from Iran.

Honouring winners: Meanwhile, Minister for Sports Ejaz Hussain Jakhrani told the Senate that the government would honour its commitments made with two female players who had outperformed at the South Asian Federation (SAF) Games. Responding to a point of order raised by Senator Tahir Hussain Mashhadi, Jakhrani said that Rs 1 million have been given to Naseem Hameed and Sara Nasir, while another award of Rs 0.5 million for each would be given out in due course.

Bill passed: The Senate also passed the Pakistan Engineering Council (Amendment) Bill, which had already been approved by the National Assembly (NA).

Senate Standing Committee on Finance, Revenue, Economics Affairs, Statistics and Planning and Development Chairman Senator Ahmed Ali also presented before the House the report of the committee on the Federal Value Added Tax Bill 2010.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

yeah just like what i was hoping............. Pakistan is not buying eletricity from Iran due to intense US pressure. I wouldn't mind if USA is willing to build 2X 1000MW Nuclear reactors in Pakistan in exchange of not buying eletricity from Iran. But if it is not willing to help us in energy sector and forcing us not to go to Iran........... fcuk US then and sign the deal

Back
Top Bottom