What's new

Pakistan's Artillery Upgrade Discussions

With the current situation with afghanistan I hope and I sincerely hope that wheeled SPH procurement are fast tracked because towed guns are a waste of time and rapid response can be carried out successfully with Wheeled SPH.

Pakistan needs a rapid change of doctrine. Consider vehicle mounted rapid deployment 105s and 155s. Integrate with C3, ability to direct fire and engage in mountainous and desert.
I agree, new guns should be accompanied with digital FCS and forward ISTAR systems.

Besides wheeled-SPH, lightweight towed howitzers ought to be of interest too - e.g. Denel LEO G7, a 105 mm gun weighing 3,800 kg (light enough for the Mi-17s to carry by sling). GDLS tested the G7 a while back and said it has the terminal performance of 155 mm.

Last edited:
Pakistan needs a rapid change of doctrine. Consider vehicle mounted rapid deployment 105s and 155s. Integrate with C3, ability to direct fire and engage in mountainous and desert.

Yes but a balance still needs to be struck in terms of mobility and armour. Most Western nations like USA and Britain started gearing towards rapid deployment vehicles which were great until bogged in static situations like in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I've previously said that South Africa could be a source for complete overhauling of Pakistani Artilery with the T6-52 turret on an Al Khalid chassis, the Truck mounted 52 howitzer and also the light gun Bilal Quwa has mentioned there.

can we not mount our existing towed artillery arsenal on a truck ........ i mean converting it into self-propelled designation with upgrades should not be harder and even if not self propelled it will give a shoot and scoot edge

They knew about the weight but no matter how many trials you do and how tough they are real time situation is always different
Trails are not theorems man:hitwall:, every possible scenario in armys book is tried out extensively on said systems, systems go through more extensive exposure than even active a battle sometimes.

Yes but a balance still needs to be struck in terms of mobility and armour. Most Western nations like USA and Britain started gearing towards rapid deployment vehicles which were great until bogged in static situations like in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Yes, you are right, but if one considers the terrain in the vicinity of the India-Pakistan border i.e. large swathes of desert in the south(cholistan, thar etc.) and the plains in Punjab region, that doctrine still holds. There are towns and cities close to the border, but continuous fighting in the north-west provided a lot of urban warfare experience to the army as well as the air force.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom