What's new

Pakistan's Artillery Upgrade Discussions

@Arsalan The Denel LEO 105mm is light enough to be carried by our Mi-171s.
Yes sir. It will be tricky with weight reaching 3800 Kg but it is possible. Also it will be a good option considering it have a decent range in 105mm. We can always leave a few exceptions for special requirement and do not try and standardize them to 155mm.
Anyway, till that happens the Type 59-I are in place and holding well. Plus a wheeled SPH will also cover a large part of problem area. Lets see how things progress.

Take a look at this picture posted by someone on social media. It is clearly Denel T5-52 155 mm SPH mounted on 8x8 truck chassis.

14141937_1779638305651099_683255951713061624_n.png.jpg

Also,

images

@DESERT FIGHTER @kaonalpha @Irfan Baloch @balixd @Arsalan @Areesh @fatman17 @pzfz @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Zarvan @Horus

I guess Nora B-52 has lagged in trials..

Pakistan Boosts Defense Budget | Defense News

Denel still pursuing LEO artillery project - defenceWeb

Last edited:
Take a look at this picture posted by someone on social media. It is clearly Denel T5-52 155 mm SPH mounted on 8x8 truck chassis.

Also,

images

@DESERT FIGHTER @kaonalpha @Irfan Baloch @balixd @Arsalan @Areesh @fatman17 @pzfz @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Zarvan @Horus

I think few Artillery systems will come from South Africa sooner or later also MRAPs

☰ MENU

Denel-Land-Systems-692x360.png

A T5-52 howitzer. Photo credit: Denel Dynamics
Daily News
Aug 31, 2016Bilal Khan -
DENEL SEEKING PARTNERS FOR LIGHTWEIGHT ARTILLERY

South Africa’s Denel Group recently announced that it was still committed to completing the development of its Lightweight Experimental Ordnance (LEO) howitzer program. Denel Group’s acting CEO Zwelakhe Ntshepe also stated that the company was seeking partners to co-develop the howitzer. (Defence Web).

With the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) potentially seeking new artillery, the LEO program has returned to relevance. However, existing programs, most notably the 155mm G5 towed howitzer and G6 self-propelled howitzer (SPH), continue to show promise in the global artillery market.

For example, Denel announced that the G5-T52, which is a G5 gun mounted onto an 8×8 truck provided by the Czech vendor Tatra is being tested in an undisclosed foreign country (with positive results). Furthermore, an unnamed state in the Middle East is actively interesting in acquiring the G6 SPH, with two potential deals being close to fruition.

Notes, Comments & Analysis:

The LEO (also designated G7) is a 52-calibre 105mm howitzer with a weight of 3,800kg. This howitzer is noticeably lighter than current lightweight guns on the market, such as the BAE Systems M777 (4,200kg) and AH4 by NORINCO (4,500kg).

Although the M777 and AH4 are 155mm designs, Denel is pushing the G7 as a worthwhile lightweight artillery solution in its own right. Defence Web described it as a gun with the “logistics footprint of a 105 mm howitzer but the range and terminal performance of a 155 mm system.

As discussed in an earlier article on Quwa, lightweight artillery systems of this nature enable armies to field strong offensive power without being beset by severe logistical challenges. To put it into perspective, the Denel G7 could theoretically be carried by a Mi-171 utility helicopter via an external sling (assuming Army-Technology’s report of the Mi-171’s external payload being 4,000kg is correct).

Purely an example, but Pakistan could rapidly field artillery positions in its mountainous regions through the use of aviation assets such as the utility helicopters present in its fleet. If LEO development continues, there may even come a howitzer that is lighter than 3,000kg (Engineering News).

For Denel, the LEO’s entry into the world artillery market, especially with a co-development partner as well as large initial customer, would be ideal. In this respect, there is an opportunity for the company to scale and potentially offer a solution that is competitive in cost and performance to the likes of the AH4 and M777, respectively.

In addition, there is a vertical integration opportunity in that LEO customers could also procure artillery munitions, including base bleed shells capable of reaching 30km, from Rheinmetall Denel Munition. It could also draw upon the competencies of Denel Land Systems and Paramount Group to develop new self-propelled howitzer solutions using the LEO.

QUWA DAILY
Last Name

First Name

Email address:

ADVERTISEMENT

ABOUT QUWA
The Quwa Defence News & Analysis Group aims to provide relevant analysis on modern defence systems and their tactical applications; our work is specially focused on the acquisitions and activities of countries in Asia, Africa and the Middle East.

This Rocket Assisted Norinco 155mm projectile has a range of 53KM. It can be GPS guided and with a maximum rate of fire of up to eight rounds a minute.

The PLZ-05 below firing the ERFB-BBBRA are members of the Arty Regt, 123rd Mech Inf Div, 41 Group Army, Southern Theater Command.

Attachments

• 1473310752125.jpg
    1473310752125.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 92
This Rocket Assisted Norinco 155mm projectile has a range of 53KM. It can be GPS guided and with a maximum rate of fire of up to eight rounds a minute.

The PLZ-05 below firing the ERFB-BBBRA are members of the Arty Regt, 123rd Mech Inf Div, 41 Group Army, Southern Theater Command.

Lets first increase our armoured and mechanised formations then new supporting arms will make way.

Also,

images

Both Denel T5-52 and Nora B52 are excellent systems as per our needs. Both have a good rate of fire, excellent range for a 52 cal howitzer, are self propelled and wheeled so that makes access to the northern areas easy and both come with MRSI impact which is the big thing in artillery these days and increases combat effectiveness multi-folds!

Both Denel T5-52 and Nora B52 are excellent systems as per our needs. Both have a good rate of fire, excellent range for a 52 cal howitzer, are self propelled and wheeled so that makes access to the northern areas easy and both come with MRSI impact which is the big thing in artillery these days and increases combat effectiveness multi-folds!

Both are based on 8x8 truck chassis. They are most likely for units responsible for arid areas of Sindh and South Punjab. 90 Norinco SH-1's based on 6x6 truck chassis were ordered for GB & AJK few years back. I believe the lighter (22 ton) SH-1 is more suitable for those areas than 28 ton T5-52 or Nora B-52K1. Driving a 8x8 truck (with more length than a 6x6 truck) on narrow hilly roads is prone to mishaps.

Last edited:
Both are based on 8x8 truck chassis. They are most likely for units responsible for arid areas of Sindh and South Punjab. 90 Norinco SH-1's based on 6x6 truck chassis were ordered for GB & AJK few years back. I believe the lighter (22 ton) SH-1 is more suitable for those areas than 28 ton T5-52 or Nora B-52K1. Driving a 8x8 truck (with more length than a 6x6 truck) on narrow hilly roads is prone to mishaps.
True. These are primarily meant for Sindh and South Punjab plains however they still are easier to take to the northern areas than the tracked ones and will find good use there was well. SH-1 lacked on a few fronts and both these can fill in that gap effectively and are being looked at with that in mind. However the main application is in south.

True. These are primarily meant for Sindh and South Punjab plains however they still are easier to take to the northern areas than the tracked ones and will find good use there was well. SH-1 lacked on a few fronts and both these can fill in that gap effectively and are being looked at with that in mind. However the main application is in south.

A few regiments may be put to service in somewhat less hilly areas in AJK like Mirpur, Muzaffarabad, etc but I don't see them going to GB (which has horrible terrain, poor roads). One Nora B-52 SPH (K1 or the armoured K-I variant) was in Pakistan in the first half of 2015 (May or June) and was extensively trialed. I believe it has lagged in some conditions. That is the reason PA sent RFI on T5-52 to Denel this year. And now Denel Group Acting CEO Zwelakhe Ntshepe is claiming it has performed very well.

I expect a contract by the end of 2016.

Last edited:
A few regiments may be put to service in somewhat less hilly areas in AJK like Mirpur, Muzaffarabad, etc but I don't see them going to GB (which has horrible terrain, poor roads). One Nora B-52 SPH (K1 or the armoured K-I variant) was in Pakistan in the first half of 2015 (May or June) and was extensively trialed. I believe it has lagged in some conditions. That is the reason PA sent RFI on T5-52 to Denel this year. And now Denel Group Acting CEO Zwelakhe Ntshepe is claiming it has performed very well.

I expect a contract by the end of 2016.
It was not here alone in 2015 and ALL of them were sent back. Some have returned back and are under evaluation again. It is not the right time to talk about which ones or where or other details like that. However now that you mentioned 2015 trials i can confirm that those are over, no gun was selected and now there are some guns back in Pakistan for further evaluation after some modifications and improvements were made.

Back
Top Bottom