What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

well thats "explains" why pakistan lacks "PATENT"!!
and over there countering india means gathering stuff either by hook or crook...:-)

BTW,by any chance have you ever done any project on MSP-430?

Finally.. you get what Ive been trying to tell you. :rolleyes:

My work has been mostly on the Ti C5000 and 6000 series and a little work on Vertex FPGA's.
Currently working freelance on OMAP systems.

Finally.. you get what Ive been trying to tell you. :rolleyes:

My work has been mostly on the Ti C5000 and 6000 series and a little work on Vertex FPGA's.
Currently working freelance on OMAP systems.

ohh but MSP-430 is very revolutionary...:-)
much better performer than itz compitetors...
over here,we use BGA as well as DIP ...what about in pak?

ohh but MSP-430 is very revolutionary...:-)
much better performer than itz compitetors...
over here,we use BGA as well as DIP ...what about in pak?

Undoubtedly.. As a low power system it has excellent applications in parallel signal processing and multiple tap filters.
The processor use depends on the application.. for eg.. in a complete stand alone box system like the one I was working on..
A DaVinci system comes in handy as it has an integrated Gpp with the DSP..
So we let the DSP take on the number crunching (which was significant for that particular application) and the GPP handles data transfer and process switching..

And Im going to add another shock..
We even source Indian components from time to time to use in our systems.. :tongue:

By HOOK..or by CROOK.

Anyway.. we will go very much beyond the topic.. so lets leave this discussion for later.

Undoubtedly.. As a low power system it has excellent applications in parallel signal processing and multiple tap filters.
The processor use depends on the application.. for eg.. in a complete stand alone box system like the one I was working on..
A DaVinci system comes in handy as it has an integrated Gpp with the DSP..
So we let the DSP take on the number crunching (which was significant for that particular application) and the GPP handles data transfer and process switching..

And Im going to add another shock..
We even source Indian components from time to time to use in our systems.. :tongue:

By HOOK..or by CROOK.

Anyway.. we will go very much beyond the topic.. so lets leave this discussion for later.

you must be kidding right?lol...hey,would love to continue discussions on these topics...:-)
hey,bro,but i find it extremely hard to buy your logic when you say,the T/R modules have been designed there...i mean,"designing" requires a lot of research,and once you have diligently designed a new system,it'd be your first response to "patent" it...
i am afraid even chinese t/r modules wouldnt have patents....:what:

you must be kidding right?lol...hey,would love to continue discussions on these topics...:-)
hey,bro,but i find it extremely hard to buy your logic when you say,the T/R modules have been designed there...i mean,"designing" requires a lot of research,and once you have diligently designed a new system,it'd be your first response to "patent" it...
i am afraid even chinese t/r modules wouldnt have patents....:what:

You see an existing design, you adapt it , improve it.. to suit to your own needs..

patents dont apply here, as I told you before..
patents dont apply to the Chinese copy of TI chips..
Patents dont apply to many things...
Since these are not for export nor will that information learnt ever be shared or sold.

You see an existing design, you adapt it , improve it.. to suit to your own needs..

patents dont apply here, as I told you before..
patents dont apply to the Chinese copy of TI chips..
Patents dont apply to many things...
Since these are not for export nor will that information learnt ever be shared or sold.

WRONG!!
patents are very well applicable in case of t/r modules!!haan,provided you have painstakingly developed it on your own(NOT copying work like chinese),we had a huge seminar on this,when i attended dr christopher's seminar about the indian t/r modules(LRDE currently holds the patent of indian T/R modules)...dr christopher is the current chairman of LRDE(the lab responsible for the r&d of t/r modules)
so,since chinese simply (copy&adapt),the very concept of "PATENT" isnt applicable to them...
would you like to have a look at my own video i made at the seminar?

bro,i have myself seen the patent "documents" of indian t/r modules...:-)...would post it here as soon as i get back to my hostel

here is what i was looking for-PATENT!!
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1279046.html

@OSCAR...
here is the complete pdf about the patent granted to LRDE(related with their advanced/revolutionary) t/r modules,go through it completely...
this is why,you go for patent as soon as you produce something "original" after years of painstaking research(NOT by epsionage)...hope you get what i have been trying to explain about the "patents"?
TRANSMIT/RECEIVER MODULE FOR ACTIVE PHASED ARRAY ANTENNA

Sweden Finalizes AEW&C Contract With Pakistan

Apr 07, 2008 11:12 EDT Related Stories: Air Reconnaissance, Asia - Central, Contracts - Awards, Europe - Other, Other Corporation, Radars, Specialty Aircraft

In June 2006, Saab signed a SEK 8.3 billion provisional contract to supply S100B Argus turboprop airborne early warning (AEW&C) systems to Pakistan. According to earlier reports at Pakistani Defence, Pakistan aimed to buy 14 SAAB 2000 aircraft from Sweden: 7 for the PAF’s AEW&C role as Argus aircraft, and the remaining 7 for the state-owned PIA airline. Saab releases, however, have made no mention of a passenger version.

The Saab aircraft beat a number of other competitors, including Bombardier’s Dash-8/Q200 and US offers to sell the E-2C Hawkeye system. The Argus AEW&C award also caps a 25-year quest by the Pakistani Air force. The buy was recently reduced somewhat for financial reasons to 5 aircraft, but the first plane has now been rolled out….

In “SAAB 2000 & ERIEYE AWE&C system,”a Pakistani government site explains the operational need for these aircraft, and chronicles their pursuit of the 707-based E-3C AWACS aircraft and related systems since 1979. Indeed, Pakistan had pursued the Erieye system before, but had been rejected several times under Sweden’s military export policies. With that roadblock clear, Pakistan has engaged in long negotiations with Saab that have finally come to fruition. With respect to the new aircraft’s radar capabilities, the article notes that:

“The Ericsson PS-890 Erieye radar uses an active array with 200 solid state modules. The range of the S-band, 3 GHz, and side looking radar is 300 km. The 1,985-lb (900-kg) dorsal antenna is housed in a 29-ft 6.3-in (9-m) long box radome mounted atop the fuselage. Utilizing adaptive side lobe suppression, the look angle on each side is about 160 degrees. From its standard operational altitude of 6000 metres (19,685 feet, or FL200) the radar has a maximum range of 450 km (279 miles). Against a fighter-sized target effective range is approximately 330 km (205 miles). Seaborne targets can be detected at 320 km (198 miles), though this is a function of the aircraft’s cruising height. The electronically scanned antenna can scan sectors of interest frequently while others are monitored, and a single sector can be scanned in different modes at the same time.”

That last bit is a reference to the AESA radar’s ability to scan ground and air activity at the same time, rather than switching between these modes as conventional radars do. An Australian airpower article explains the potential benefits of AESA radars against other AEW&C offerings like the E-2C Hawkeye – and also notes the limitations of the S100B/Erieye system:

“The limitation of the two sided array is that it can only cover two 120 degree sectors abeam of the aircraft, leaving 60 degree blind sectors over the nose and tail of the aircraft, and reduced antenna performance from 45 degrees off the beam aspect. Another limitation stems from the use of an airframe too small to accommodate a comprehensive self contained command, control and communications system, and other sensors such as a capable ESM and track association system.”

Saab’s corporate release notes that “two third of the order value is for Saab and one third for Ericsson Microwave Systems [for the PS-890 Erieye radars], witch is, after the Saab acquisition, expected to be a part of Saab in September 2006.” DID recently covered that acquisition.

Contracts and Related Events:

Over the hump?

April 24/10: Pakistan’s 2nd of 4 Saab-2000 aircraft lands at an operational base, as preparations are made to induct it into the fleet. PTI.

Dec 14/09: Pakistan’s Daily Times quotes Minister for Defence Production, Abdul Qayyum Khan Jatoi, who confirms that the 1st Erieye AWACS plane has reached Pakistan, and 3 more planes are expected in 2010. Karachi News.

Oct 21/09: In a ceremony in Linköping, Saab and the Pakistan Air Force celebrate the start of the final tests of the new Erieye AEW&C (Airborne Early Warning and Control) aircraft. The aircraft is currently undergoing system tests in Sweden, which aim is to evaluate the complete system including aircraft, radar, C2 system, communication and live situation picture. Follow on testing in Pakistan later in 2009, including integration into the Pakistan Air Force’s Command & Control Ground Environment.

May 28/09: Pakistan’s Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman, is quoted by Pakistan’s The News International as saying that Pakistan would begin receiving its AWACS planes by October 2009.

April 3/08: China’s government-controlled Xinhua reports that the first Saab 2000 Erieye aircraft for the PAF was rolled out in Sweden and prepared for flight trials by the year end, after being equipped with a full suite of mission systems. “The Pakistan Air Force achieved a major landmark in its Airborne Early Warning Program with the roll out of its first Saab 2000 AEW&C in a simple but impressive ceremony at the Saab facility in Sweden,” the PAF statement said.

The aircraft will be put through trials before being delivered to the PAF in 2009. See also Flight International’s photo coverage, which puts the total number of Saab 2000 aircraft at 5.

May 28/07: Maybe not quite finalized. A Saab release states that:

“With reference to the sale of Saab Airborne Surveillance Systems to Pakistan, the customer has for financial reasons and in accordance with the original contract, asked to renegotiate part of the contract concerning a reduction of the number of systems. Together with Saab terms and conditions then have been agreed, concerning a reduction. Saab and the Government of Pakistan continue as planned with the delivery of the system.

As a result of the renegotiation, the order value is decreased by approximately SEK 1.35 billion [DID 8.3B – 1.35B = 6.95B, a 16.3% reduction and about $1 billion at a May 28 conversion]. Income will decrease proportionally to the volume change, but other commercial terms and conditions will remain unchanged.”

The number of planes in the revised order was not specified, but a later report placed the total number of Saab 2000 aircraft in the revised order at 5. If the original order had been 6, a 16.3% reduction is about right.

June 22/06: Saab announces a SEK 8.3 billion (approx. $1.15 billion at then-rate conversion) provisional contract for Airborne Early Warning & Control (AEW&C) surveillance systems using Saab 2000 turboprops equipped with Ericsson’s Erieye radar.

“Two third of the order value is for Saab and one third for Ericsson Microwave Systems, witch is, after the Saab acquisition, expected to be a part of Saab in September 2006.”

ATR 42-500 to PIA

Nov 3/05: An EADS release says: “PIA inked an agreement with ATR for the purchase of seven new ATR 42-500 aircraft on November 2, 2005 at PIA Head Office…. The aircraft will replace PIA’s aging F-27 aircraft fleet operated on socio-economic routes. The 7 firm 48-seat ATR 42-500 aircraft are scheduled to be delivered between 2006 and 2007 with delivery of the first aircraft to PIA in May 2006. The total value of the contract is approximately US $100 million.”

PIA’s fleet of 11 F27s was largely grounded due to safety issues, and Pakistani Air Force C-130s have been pressed into service on some of the state-owned airline’s local routes as a stopgap. PIA took delivery of its first ATR 42-500 on May 31/06. It’s possible that rumors of a dual military/civilian Saab 340 buy have just been superseded by events.

(This article originally ran June 26/06)

I dont know is that real or not but i met some person few years back who have linked with SAAB-PAK contract. He told me that Airforce don't have funds nor Govt interested to give any kind of such fund for purchase. We already stuckd. How after 1/2 years, Pak economy is now more ****. How such deal is possible atleast i can't understand!

I dont know is that real or not but i met some person few years back who have linked with SAAB-PAK contract. He told me that Airforce don't have funds nor Govt interested to give any kind of such fund for purchase. We already stuckd. How after 1/2 years, Pak economy is now more ****. How such deal is possible atleast i can't understand!

Not the complete reason but one of the reasons. Interest shifted to ZDK-03. It was a Pakistani specific version so Pakistan had to incur all the R&D costs... Initially ZDK-03 idea was opposed by top brass of PAF as they were in no mood the reduce SAAB of PAF but thanks to Musharraf futuristic vision, complete dependance on western country was avoided

nobody posted it?

new pic

5e2b86cftw1du7drfbea7j.jpg

it seems kinda "too empty" from the inside.. i always thought the "goodies" would be controlled from a separate workstation manned by someone other than the pilot and copilot.. :confused:

PAF Special Mission Falcon, which was in France earlier this year, and the in-flight video.

Pakistan Air Force Falcon 20F J-468 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

[video]http://www.flickr.com/photos/trucswitchpouet/7422151840/[/video]

J-468 and J-469 differ from each other in EW equipment house inside them. The difference is visible in antenna present above the cockpit and the under belly system . Possibly one of them is for Electronic Intelligence (ELINT) where as other is for Communication Intelligence (COMINT).

J-468
Pakistan_Air_Force_No_24_Blinders_Squadron_Falcon_  DA-20_left_side1.jpg

File:PAF_No_24_Blinders_Squadron_Falcon_DA-20_right_side_front1.jpg

J-469
1262359F.jpg

6747907643_3f1a8e64c0_o_d.jpg

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom