What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

Basically it can replace da-20 as well and perhaps why paf expanded and added another sqn to cover the whole pak with erieye covering north and central commands and Chinese awacs covering south

lastly it has now GMTI so provide early warning for army

article in Air Force monthly indicated it’s ground surveillance was suppressed initially due to ground forces requesting in Greek case eventually looks like now it there

it CANNOT replace a dedicated EW platform, Erieyes carry a defensive electronic warfare suite, to protect themselves and nearby assets, EW is a very broad field with so many different aspects to it, you need numerous sensors, emitters, antennas, operators etc to be able to accomplish tasks. Theres a reason the E/A-18G has an EWO for example, and a F-15X, with its EPAWSS can operate without a backseater
Don't know if this is the right place, but can standoff munitions like the REK, GB-6 etc..
Be detected by AEW&Cs? Or radars in general?
What about smaller ones like SDB or the SAAW?
yes, yes they can, missiles, bombs, all of these things will have an RCS. Hypothetical simulation puts this missile at -9.6dBsm, or 0.1m^2
1636117235020.png

it CANNOT replace a dedicated EW platform, Erieyes carry a defensive electronic warfare suite, to protect themselves and nearby assets, EW is a very broad field with so many different aspects to it, you need numerous sensors, emitters, antennas, operators etc to be able to accomplish tasks. Theres a reason the E/A-18G has an EWO for example, and a F-15X, with its EPAWSS can operate without a backseater

yes, yes they can, missiles, bombs, all of these things will have an RCS. Hypothetical simulation puts this missile at -9.6dBsm, or 0.1m^2 View attachment 790382
So their slow speed also means they're easy targets as well?
Secondly can their GPS signals be jammed by these birds? Essentially turning the bomb blind?

yes, yes they can, missiles, bombs, all of these things will have an RCS. Hypothetical simulation puts this missile at -9.6dBsm, or 0.1m^2 View attachment 790382
Yes. Erieye and similar AEW aircraft carry only ESM and CFDs. In some cases MAWS. No ECM to jam radars/missile seekers. These days an ECM aboard a slow mover is more trouble than benefit.

Yes. Erieye and similar AEW aircraft carry only ESM and CFDs. In some cases MAWS. No ECM to jam radars/missile seekers. These days an ECM aboard a slow mover is more trouble than benefit.
Why is that? Won't having ECM and jamming capabilities boost the survivability of the bird?

Why is that? Won't having ECM and jamming capabilities boost the survivability of the bird?

well, with some form of ECM, you're actively emitting, though, to be fair, i don't think that's really a problem in this context anyway lol.

the Erieye does carry a system called HES-21 (our's do atleast, it was an option at time of procurement), however, HES-21 seems to be more of a sensor package that aids defensive ability than something that would be relied on totally. For example, SAAB make it clear that itll help in decision making with regards to defensive countermeasures, infact, to me, this kind of seems similar to the Eurofighter Typhoon's Praetorian DASS, which with its pre-programmed threat library (which obviously is a thing for HES-21, in fact, all of these points im about to make apply), using antennas around the aircraft, tries to identify the emitter, classify it, and then release appropriate countermeasures when the time is right, however, there's two main areas where HES-21 falls behind, one being the systems employed to defeat the threat, the other being an electronic countermeasure to defeat the threat (this may not be accurate, however, this is my interpretation of the information provided by SAAB.) DASS is able to employ a towed decoy, DRFM based RF decoys, and lastly, ECM, with none of this being found on HES-21/Erieye. What this basically means is that HES-21 will be able to classify, detect, find and save threats, then feed this information to an operator who will then, with its assistance, be given the most optimal means of defending the aircraft, through a combination of flares and chaff, perhaps even feeding the pilots maneuvering cues to ensure the countermeasures work as best as they can (this is guesswork on my part, DASS does this.) Maybe there is a self protection part to the system somewhere, however, its not disclosed or made obvious that its present, nor can i infer from the material that i have, that some sort of self protection jammer or suite is present or baked into the aircraft.

we have good amount of ZDK-03 + Erieye

however I wonder If Pakistan can develop its own radar by 2030?

and use it on a C919 platform ?

we should consider now the next generation of AWACS

we have good amount of ZDK-03 + Erieye

however I wonder If Pakistan can develop its own radar by 2030?

and use it on a C919 platform ?

we should consider now the next generation of AWACS

took India 13 years, with more money, experience, expertise.

Pakistan produces what it cant buy, there's a few high-end AWACS available to Pakistan on the market, though, by that i mean, the swedes or the Chinese.

Producing these will be a very expensive venture, small quantity buys are always pricey, economies of scale, and whatnot.

aside from that, Pak is working on radars, though for now, its nothing very powerful, could just be a testbed, alongside that, i SUSPECT, something like this has been tried, NUST was designing and developing S-Band T/R modules for phased arrays, so like, theres stuff like this that can be adapted to different roles anyway, so we will just have to wait and see, though, generally, id probably not hold my breath for a domestic AWACS.

TurAF is started to feasibility work for new domestic Awacs project, after finishing HAVA SOJ project, aselsan engineers will have new project i quess

Do PAF want to replace D20s in future with dedicated variant or will have fighters based EW option
With decades of experience in dedicated EW platform, which option do you wager your bet on ?

In all likely hood, both options as PAF is already using both ( non Growler type, just self protection, which in it self EW for the platform. )

PS: Unlikely a Growler type unless the Bear issues a NoC / NoL to China / Pakistan and then on top of that if the Chinese are willing to sell J-16-D or J-15-D type.

Back
Top Bottom