What's new

Pakistanis: The Face of poverty in Canada.

First of all for those who want to compare Pakistani Canadians with Chinese Canadians & Indian Canadians, take note of the fact that the Chinese and Indians have immigrated here much earlier than the Pakistanis. As a result, they have established businesses and a support network, and therefore more of them are earning more income here.

Second, this data is from 2005 which could be out-dated by now. Also I'm currently laughing at the biased view written in the article, namely that male Pakistani immigrants are having an identity crisis and also being influenced by religion therefore they don't have the roles they had back in Pakistan. There are strict rules here in Canada and everyone has a right to religion and freedom, and strict moral values must be maintained. Domestic abuse is a problem with many South Asian communities - and far more apparent in Indian communities, since there are far more Indians here than Pakistanis.

Despite what this article tries to claim or prove, Pakistani Canadians are still far better off than Pakistanis elsewhere or even Pakistanis back home. We get free education for our children and youth, free access to health care, right to freedom, right to religion and also there is a strong support network for us since there is a large South Asian community here.

I don't know what the writer of the article is trying to convey, but last time I checked Pakistani Canadians, and me personally and many friends and relatives, are living a normal and prosperous life - something we probably wouldn't have access to if we lived in another country or even back home. The number one reason Pakistanis immigrate here is for a better and prosperous life for their children, and that exactly what we are being entitled to, as with any other immigrant's dream. Pretty much every child in every Pakistani household here is being educated and is attending college or university.

I feel the article has not portrayed the real and current reality of Pakistani Canadians and the writer of the article is trying to use income reports to support his argument that Pakistanis are currently experiencing poverty. If the data is collected is correct, than so be it, but the writer is simply trying to support his argument by comparison. Just because Pakistanis, on average may be earning less income than other immigrant groups, it doesn't necessarily mean we are on the verge of poverty. That is a very strict statement to make. Every Pakistani I know here in Canada is living a normal life, has a house, is not laid off and working, and going by just fine. Poverty is something totally different.

then why is it that we find the face of pakistan in US is that of blue collar wrkers? i am not saying there are no professionals, but the balance is tilted to blue collrs

you obviously don't know anything about the Pakistanis in US.

Back
Top Bottom