What's new

Pakistani Weddings - WTH?

my cousin's wedding reception was at 8 pm, (my uncle is very punctual).
500 something guests were invited(yes we have a pretty bigg background) around 150 showed up on time including baratis (surprisingly) my uncle told everyone to "go ahead" with "rasam" and we were done in about 3 hours.

shame.....some of our close relatives arrived at the hall at 11pm, just minutes before "rukhsati"

150 guests on time!!!, when we do on weddings, we reach on exact time, normally we are the first one's on time

Who the hell is perverted enough to think of having sex the first time you meet after the wedding! Dude you just married your wife, not hired a hooker for a couple of hours.

But seriously, would my wife expect me to err straddle her the first night and think of me as a coward or something if I don't?

this is the hottest topic with our friend, decide what to do on the first night, hahahahahahahahahhaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 04:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 AM ----------

Fire mortar shells into it! If they come complaining, tell them you're partaking in their happiness the same way they are!

lollzzz mortar shells, dude, they wont come complaining hahahahaha!!!!

What About they serve Biryani First and Then they Serve Meethay Chaawl, :D, it's weird though, first you eat Namkeen rice then, Meethay rice :P

How many Guests are invited(from both bride and groom sides) in a average(middle class) Pakistani Wedding?

Im proposing it right now.

I did however have the misfortune of attending a certain wedding in KP, from a certain group.. where I was served meetha Haleem..
WHO HAS meetha haleem???
OK.. I dont wanna offend anybody.. but HOLY S... Sweet Chicken with lentils and other gooey stuff???

you are making up a story, I think...

can you give some details, if you are not a lying or was it just your sense of humour that I didnt get?

The original post mentioned about guests and host not keeping time. I think this is a North indian phenomenon. Its like a North south-asian phenomenon ..LOL..
In south india, weddings are like clockwork and early in the morning. mine started at 5AM and finished before 10AM. there is a mahurat of about an hour during which the marriage (vedic) ceremonies HAVE to take place. So no way that can be missed.
I am saying its a north indian thing because i have been to delhi for several of my friends weddings (sardar and hindu punjabi , jat etc) In all of their weddings everything the OP said was funnily true and I had a chuckle. of course, i dont know about dahez part etc.. but,.. timing, food and attacking food, younger guys ( i mean louts in early 20s) cutting food line, spending money on every little rasm, the brides dad gave 500Rs to eveyone and called it 'shagun'. and this was in '98. But of course I had a jolly good time, because they know how to enjoy.
South indian weddings are a funeral in comparison . :)

LOL.. it reminds me of college days.. in bombay the joke used to be like this.. imagind a group 5-10 irritating college boys talking about this topic.. one guy asks another ' tu apne suhagraat mein hi suhag raat manaayega? if the other guy says No, then the first guys will ask 'nahin karega to apni biwi ko show case mein rakhega kya?' and everyone will laugh.. at that time i used to find it cheap , but now i laugh when i think about it.
and another funny topic of discussion used to be on palankthod paan on suhag raat. man i miss those days

SMR when you get married, hold the wedding on time and let the late-arrivers live that sense of being left out.

Well in my marriage, I tried well and to maximum extent I was successful, but although lost many relations / earned naraazgiaan of khandaan people. It was 2003, there were around 40-50 people in baraat (reduced number it could be as greater as around 300). Similar number in larki wala side. It was a day marriage, in Punjab. We went all the way from Karachi to Lahore then, onwards. Then valima in lahore, cost me around 10,000. thats it. No hi fi function.

you are making up a story, I think...

can you give some details, if you are not a lying or was it just your sense of humour that I didnt get?

I am not lying.. I had thiS!!
Wedding was in Peshawar.. rest of the food was great.. normal..infact Ive never had better Kulfi in my life.
But when I tried this dish of what I was told was Haleem.. it was exceedingly sweet.. and rather weird.
So I inquired about it and found it was called meetha haleem :confused:

And quite a few of the elderly folk liked it a lot.

How many Guests are invited(from both bride and groom sides) in a average(middle class) Pakistani Wedding?

Around 200 to 300, people feel embarrassed if the guests are less than aforesaid numbers.

i wonder how husband and wife copes with the obvious delay in their suhagraat- i mean all day tiredness- exhaustion-they may have hardly 2 hours for themselves and then they have to prepare themselves for fajr :D and if the groom is from another city- bye bye suhagraat :D-

Hummm. So I am not the only one who is confused about this "serious" issue. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom