What's new

Pakistani UN peacekeeping forces trading Gun for Gold

let the truth be revealed

Sadly the truth will never be revealed. I guess there are bad apples in all armed forces. I am sure the truth lies somewhere in between.

BBC has a very fine reputation and has internal checks to ensure their journalist do not play propoganda games. I know one friend of mine in the UK govt who pulls his hairs out dealing with them but even he agrees most stories by them are very credible.

One or two bad apples may have indulged in some hanky panky and probably the moment the higher brass came to know these people would have been shipped to some obscure posting facing a GCM. The world appreciates the good work of the Pakistani Peace keepers in Africa. My ex who does relief work in Africa has mentioned many times on how well behaved and helpfull the Pakistani troops are especially the Doctors.

Incase the BBC report is false in its entirety then Pakistan High Commission in London must sue BBC. Unlike most countries our legal system is quite swift and you would either get an apology followed by the sacking of the journalist or told that sorry the report was genuine. Other than a press statement by the pakistani army I don't see anybody interested in following it up legally.

Regards

i agree with you on that, yes its most liely true that this was the case, i mean if the army can do what it feels like in pakistan, i doubt it will have any concious on selling guns etc in exchange for gold. Seems like anything that pakistan military touches soon becomes corrupt.

Sadly the truth will never be revealed. I guess there are bad apples in all armed forces. I am sure the truth lies somewhere in between.

Yeah you stick to much on one side, there always two side to a story remember that. The report is from JDW and it came form a Major General basicly some one who has more insight and intel than a journalist.

BBC has a very fine reputation and has internal checks to ensure their journalist do not play propoganda games. I know one friend of mine in the UK govt who pulls his hairs out dealing with them but even he agrees most stories by them are very credible.

Well you mean the same BBC that didn't want to report the War protests in london please the BBC is well known for political biasing.

Incase the BBC report is false in its entirety then Pakistan High Commission in London must sue BBC. Unlike most countries our legal system is quite swift and you would either get an apology followed by the sacking of the journalist or told that sorry the report was genuine. Other than a press statement by the pakistani army I don't see anybody interested in following it up legally.

Regards

I know what your thinking "Claims direct" it isn't like that unfortunetaly the BBC is a organisation and has the right of free press, it will all ready have the joint support of all news and journalist companies. The Pakistan high commission will only create more scandal by taking on a very powerful media group just take the example of the Norwegian news group that posted racist religiouse cartoons they didn't get sued nor did they care, if it was so easy to sue a news group then Celeb's would be lining up to sue them but it isnt.

Yeah you stick to much on one side, there always two side to a story remember that. The report is from JDW and it came form a Major General basicly some one who has more insight and intel than a journalist.

You misunderstood when I said that the truth will never be revealed ie we will never know if the story was credible or the General Statement was true ?

Well you mean the same BBC that didn't want to report the War protests in london please the BBC is well known for political biasing.

I am not carrying a brief for BBC but by an large most people I meet feel they are very credible. I cannot see any motive for them (BBC) to Pick on the UN Peace Keepers when everybody knows they great job they do in far off places.

I know what your thinking "Claims direct" it isn't like that unfortunetaly the BBC is a organisation and has the right of free press, it will all ready have the joint support of all news and journalist companies. The Pakistan high commission will only create more scandal by taking on a very powerful media group just take the example of the Norwegian news group that posted racist religiouse cartoons they didn't get sued nor did they care, if it was so easy to sue a news group then Celeb's would be lining up to sue them but it isnt.

The Norwegian cartoons though in bad taste cannot be equated to suing BBC. Infact all stars like Naomi Campbell etc have sued the British press and got favorable judgements fairly quick.

UN investigates peacekeeper misconduct allegations
http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/07/14/1978506.htm?section=world

The United Nations says it is rushing an audit team to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to probe recent allegations of gold trafficking by some of its peacekeepers there.

Indian UN "blue helmets" have been accused of trafficking in gold with rebels of the chiefly Hutu Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) in eastern DRC, according to UN documents and witnesses.

And Pakistani UN troops based in the north-eastern Ituri area in 2005 have been embroiled in similar allegations of trading in gold and guns with Congolese militia they were meant to be disarming.

UN under-secretary general for peacekeeping operations (DPKO) Jean-Marie Guehenno says the world body decided to send a management audit team to DRC this weekend, "in light of a series of recent allegations of misconduct by elements serving with MONUC (the UN mission in the DRC)".

The team will work with all levels of MONUC to get a full picture of the various allegations and will "evaluate management processes related to the maintenance of good order and discipline in the mission," a UN statement said.

The team will then make recommendations to UN headquarters on how to strengthen management on the issue.

On the specific allegations against the Indian peacekeepers, Mr Guehenno said that he could not comment as an investigation was under way.

"We are taking measures to get to the bottom of this case," he said.

A spokesman for the Indian defence ministry declined to comment but a top army official in New Delhi said "the military establishment is checking the veracity of the charges with the concerned authorities in the UN".

There are currently some 17,600 MONUC peacekeepers in DRC, the UN's largest mission, overseeing the transition from a devastating civil war in which millions died.

so can I make a statement without getting banned ? Indians and Pakistanis collude when it comes to making money ?

Regards

WELL THEY HAVE NAMED PAKISTANI TROOPS THERE ALSO THEIR COMMANDING OFFICERS LIKE MAJ ZAFNAR I DONT KNOW IF THATS A NAME AND MAJ ALI
IT IS JUST THAT THOSE GUYS NEVER LIKED PAKISTAN ESPECIALLY THE WAY OUR TROOPS WERE GETTING POPULAR THERE JUST LIKE IN BOSNIA AND SEEING A MUSLIM COUNTRY ESPECIALLY PAKISTAN MASHALLAH A NUCLEAR MUSLIM STATE GETTING STRONG SUPPORT FROM LOCAL WHO THEY SAY LIKE WILL BE WILLING HELP US IN FUTURE AND ALSO MY COUSIN WHO WAS IN SOMALIA TOLD DUE TO THE GOOD CHARACTER OF OUR FORCES MASHALLAH MANY LOCALS WERE CONVERTING TO ISLAM THAT CAN REALLY PISS THOSE BASTARDS OFF
SORRY FOR THE OFFENSE LANGUAGE

lets not forget bbc has a repute of maligning remember 1965 when they said india god forbid has taken over Pakistan and also they have tried do some spying on our nuclear programme back in the 80s i have forgotten the name of the reporter it was something lily so bbc has also been doing dirty works against us and all their country's opponents

Back
Top Bottom