What's new

Pakistani teen burnt alive by her mother for choosing own husband

T-72M1

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
pba.JPG

A Pakistani mother on Wednesday burnt her 16-year-old daughter alive for marrying a man of her own choice, before shouting on the street to neighbours that she had killed the teen for bringing shame on her family.

It was the third so-called "honour killing" in the South Asian country in as many months, and a rare example of the crime being carried out by a woman.

Zeenat Bibi, 16, was set on fire by her mother Perveen Bibi in the eastern city of Lahore a little more than a week after the couple had acquired their marriage licence, police said.

"Perveen Bibi killed her daughter Zeenat Bibi by burning her alive around 9:00 am on Wednesday," Haidar Ashraf, a senior police official told AFP, adding the teen had married a man named Hasan Khan on May 29.

Khan's ethnicity -- he is an ethnic Pashtun, while Zeenat was a Punjabi -- was the main cause of the family's disapproval, according to the woman's family.

Zeenat's husband Khan told local TV station Geo News that the pair had eloped, but he had reluctantly allowed her to return to her family home after they promised they would hold a celebration and not harm her.

He said: "After living with me for four days following our marriage, her family contacted us and promised they would throw us a proper wedding party after eight days. Then we would be able live together.

"Zeenat was unwilling to go back to her home and told me that she would be killed by her family, but later agreed when one of her uncles guaranteed her safety.

"After two days, she called me and said that her family had gone back on their word and asked me to come to get her, but I told her to wait for the promised eight days. Then, she was killed."

Ashraf, the police official, said Perveen and other family members had confessed to the crime and that police had seized kerosene oil from the scene.

- Family defiant -

At the victim's two-bedroom family home in a low-income southern neighbourhood of the city, Perveen's family remained defiant.

Naseem Bibi, Perveen's younger sister, told AFP: "After killing her daughter, Perveen went out on the street, took off her shawl and started beating herself on her chest, shouting: 'People! I have killed my daughter for misbehaving and giving our family a bad name.'"

"My sister declared a long time ago she would not allow her daughter to marry a Pashtun," she said.

The victim's sister Shazia also blamed Zeenat for defying her mother, but said she had urged her mother to cut ties with her instead of killing her.

Perveen's husband died several years ago and her relationship with her daughters had deteriorated, according to Shazia.

"Our mother became distressed because of her daughter's disobedience and because she felt there was no man in the house to rein her in."

Hundreds of women are murdered by their relatives in Pakistan each year on the pretext of defending what is seen as family honour.

"A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness" -- a film telling the story of a rare survivor of an attempted honour killing -- won an Oscar for best documentary short in February.

Amid publicity for the film, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif vowed to eradicate the "evil" of honour killings but no fresh legislation has been tabled since then.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pakistani-teen-burnt-alive-her-mother-choosing-own-113847056.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...n-burned-daughter-zeenat-rafiq-alive-marriage

This is too sad and barbaric.

Till there are massive de-radicalization / educational drives focusing on human values, such tragedies will keep happening.

There is no control over the local Mullah --- he can pretty much conjure up anything he wants.

The Pakistani constitution and Islam both allow and encourage free-will marriages. What kind of f---cked up dark ages are these animals living in?

Our Prophet's (PBUH) first wife, widely considered the first Muslim convert:
-was a widow
-had previous marriages
-had children from these previous marriages
-was his employer
-was a successful businesswoman
-herself asked for the Prophet's hand in marriage

...yet any one of these things (let alone all of them combined!) makes most of our society insecure --- sometimes even violent.

Imagine large posters everywhere relating this example --- or the time the man gave a thirsty dog water --- or a million other examples of compassion and freedom in the Quran. On TV, on billboards, on the radio. With some luck, it might slowly reverse this trend of backwardness and erode the power of the local prayer leader.

This is too sad and barbaric.

Till there are massive de-radicalization / educational drives focusing on human values, such tragedies will keep happening.

There is no control over the local Mullah --- he can pretty much conjure up anything he wants.

The Pakistani constitution and Islam both allow and encourage free-will marriages. What kind of f---cked up dark ages are these animals living in?

Our Prophet's (PBUH) first wife, widely considered the first Muslim convert:
-was a widow
-had previous marriages
-had children from these previous marriages
-was his employer
-was a successful businesswoman
-herself asked for the Prophet's hand in marriage

...yet any one of these things (let alone all of them combined!) makes most of our society insecure --- sometimes even violent.

Imagine large posters everywhere relating this example --- or the time the man gave a thirsty dog water --- or a million other examples of compassion and freedom in the Quran. On TV, on billboards, on the radio. With some luck, it might slowly reverse this trend of backwardness and erode the power of the local prayer leader.
Do you really think people that commit such heinous crime cars about Islam? These honor killing is all about local culture and ego. Most of these low life scums never been to masjid or know basics of Islam.

Do you really think people that commit such heinous crime cars about Islam? These honor killing is all about local culture and ego. Most of these low life scums never been to masjid or know basics of Islam.

I totally agree with you.

What I meant to say was --- because people find it very hard to argue against Islam in Pakistan --- we can use instances from the Quran and Islamic history that exemplify compassion, understanding, tolerance, etc. to build a better society.

It may eventually override these ancient cultural traditions.

Also, many people do some horrible things in the name of Islam --- because their understanding of Islam is warped. This would help counter that as well.

I totally agree with you.

What I meant to say was --- because people find it very hard to argue against Islam in Pakistan --- we can use instances from the Quran and Islamic history that exemplify compassion, understanding, tolerance, etc. to build a better society.

It may eventually override these ancient cultural traditions.

Also, many people do some horrible things in the name of Islam --- because their understanding of Islam is warped. This would help counter that as well.
They all learn such stuff in school. Islamiat is mandatory, isn't it! but they forget in the savagery of decayed society. They deserve rulers like Talibs or daesh that would micro manage their personal life and control them like donkeys are being control with a sticks.

Watch it from 18 min

They all learn such stuff in school. Islamiat is mandatory, isn't it! but they forget in the savagery of decayed society. They deserve rulers like Talibs or daesh that would micro manage their personal life and control them like donkeys are being control with a sticks.

Watch it from 18 min

Thanks for sharing! Highly disturbing...

I think the Islamiat and Pakistan studies being taught (remember that insane chapter on Balochis?!) needs a major overhaul because it does not promote tolerance and compassion in its current incarnation.

To counter the poison of monsters like Daesh, we really need to selectively promote the most progressive instances from Islamic history.

The Pakistani State is so weak that even the Supreme Court is a largely sleeping giant. Speedy justice would help things.

I'm sure CII would probably approve of this and further try to strike down women empowerment bills. This country is a mess, no education or tolerance. Only thekaydaars of Islam everywhere you go in Pakistan.

absolutely against the Islamic teachings,

Man and woman both allowed to choose their life Partners.

This is terrible, you expect to see this type of rubbish in India where there is a Rape every 8 minutes among all sorts of other uncivilized behavior. Arrest the mother and make an example of her.

If you can make such statements then this kind of cruel acts happening on land would not be a surprise.

Having said that, its the society which needs transformation so that pent up frustrations do not lead upto this kind of cruel acts.

Dont poke your nose into things you don't know much about,,, wont that be better for everyone dear? At least i find this helpful.
Understand this, being extremist is not ONLY related to following a religion or whatever twisted form of it you are presented with. Extremists can be opposite of that as well. It is not a phenomena related to religion but related to views and attitude. AND that there is a difference between being liberal and being extremist in that sense.

Dont poke your nose into things you don't know much about,,, wont that be better for everyone dear? At least i find this helpful.
Understand this, being extremist is not ONLY related to following a religion or whatever twisted form of it you are presented with. Extremists can be opposite of that as well. It is not a phenomena related to religion but related to views and attitude. AND that there is a difference between being liberal and being extremist in that sense.
I have full knowledge about it being legal according to Pakistan law and being allowed in Islam i was just poking fun at cii who has a habit of making some weird suggestions

I have full knowledge about it being legal according to Pakistan law and being allowed in Islam i was just poking fun at cii who has a habit of making some weird suggestions
They are a bunch of goons, idiots and some others things i don't feel appropriate to be mentioned on a public forums but i do when i am with my friends and they do deserve it. HOWEVER, the fact remains that it is on us that we do not let such goons be the definition or even the face of our religion.
perhaps i read too much into your post and got a bit too aggressive for nothing, sorry for that.

This happened in Lahore. Imagine the situation in rural areas or no-go regions like Kohistan and Waziristan where news agencies have limited power and presence so they cannot even report such acts. I remember a jirga punished a soldier and local woman for eloping in Bajaur by killing them.

There is every scope of a person falling in love in Islam and marrying as a result. But these arrogant mullahs and equally arrogant mothers and fathers have made it a problem of their izzat. They in reality do not love their children but think they are a tool to be directed according to their wishes, as they see fit. Things are changing, some of our cousins had love marriages in Karachi but morons will always remain in society unless we advance recklessly, economically socially and in every sphere. I hope it becomes common, the mingling between the sexes.

This happened in Lahore. Imagine the situation in rural areas or no-go regions like Kohistan and Waziristan where news agencies have limited power and presence so they cannot even report such acts. I remember a jirga punished a soldier and local woman for eloping in Bajaur by killing them.

There is every scope of a person falling in love in Islam and marrying as a result. But these arrogant mullahs and equally arrogant mothers and fathers have made it a problem of their izzat. They in reality do not love their children but think they are a tool to be directed according to their wishes, as they see fit. Things are changing, some of our cousins had love marriages in Karachi but morons will always remain in society unless we advance recklessly, economically socially and in every sphere. I hope it becomes common, the mingling between the sexes.
They are also very common in Islamabad but our society still is against giving the choice to make the most important decision to the pwople who will get married even in cases where it does happen families disown their kids and they go through difficult financial times because all of a suddent they have to afford eveything and no family member helps them

Back
Top Bottom