What's new

Pakistani sufi band to perform in Delhi

If you are claiming it goes back 1000 years then we have only been separated for about 60. Some Muslims migrated to Pakistan while some remained, but Muslim composers have always been dominant in the Indian Classical Music arena. So if there was no partition Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan would be yours as Rafi would be ours.

Dominant ???

Sufi,Ghazal and Qawwali...?? which one would you say has been dominant in Indian music ???

Indian music doesnt mean Muslim (am using the phrase muslim although I dont consider them muslim or hindustani, they're Indian,just for the sake of replying)...thre is something called classical music..thats is what has been dominant and is still used MOST WIDELY in India and is the BASE of almost ALL the bollywood music and majority of artiste/( eventhe muslim artiste learn this before they can even think of music)..then comes you're muslim music. Period.

when I say Indian classical music goes back 1000 of years ago..i dont mean artistes like Nusrat fateh Ali khan or Md. Rafi...lol....they are artists/performers and not music themselves..lol..even Md rafi sang Bhajan (praise of Hindu lords) does that mean he is Hindu music performer ??

about the Indianmusic...simply googling it will give you enough info..

try searching for compositins like Dhrupad, Khyal, or the basic rule of music, the swars (also known as sargam collectively).

if there was no partition : Nusrat fateh alikhan would have learnt 7 SWARS as Modh. rafi did and we would have got one more good artiste..just liek rafi ;)

It's well and alive, but catering a niche audience. The problem is pakistanis can't go beyond Bollywood.

Classical Music is also taking it last breaths in Pakistan..
Brilliant artiste's are being ignored.. you would weep if you saw what condition Mehdi Hasan is in..
and there are others..
Many of the old "gharanas" have resorted to going modern as the way to survive.. save the Qawals..and they too have no issues singing lyrics which are considered nothing less than "shirk" in Islam.. Its mostly dead.

Artiste's like these are received like gems in India, but they still turn back to Pakistan..and I wonder for what..
Although there is now a movement to promote such music by organizations such as "mauseqar"

AS for the "sufi" element in this band.. Id say "sufi" my cold and damp......

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am reading now, and there seems to be the two subcategories. Hindustani and Carnatic for classical Indian music.

try searching for compositins like Dhrupad, Khyal, or the basic rule of music, the swars (also known as sargam collectively).

if there was no partition : Nusrat fateh alikhan would have learnt 7 SWARS as Modh. rafi did and we would have got one more good artiste..just liek rafi ;)

These are still taught here by those in the classical music industry..
the whole technique is solely "Indian".. there is no Muslim element in it everywhere.
Now whether it is used to sing Bhajans or Qawwalis is upto the singer.

the whole technique is solely "Indian".. there is no Muslim element in it everywhere.

good to know that it is still taught there, otherwise the general belief in India is that after partition Indian classical music must have died in pakistan. whenever new trend in music arrives, especially the western music, it does take its toll on regioal music anywhere in the world, ithappened same with India, but fortunately, Indian music has since grew stronger and more younger artists are taking up the clasical music. which is a good sign...in fact our bollywood is filled with artists who are well trained in Indian classical music, just that they have to serve the movie audience while keeping the commercial reason in mind. One such example is Shankar mahadevan.

Classical Music is also taking it last breaths in Pakistan..
Brilliant artiste's are being ignored.. you would weep if you saw what condition Mehdi Hasan is in..
and there are others..
Many of the old "gharanas" have resorted to going modern as the way to survive.. save the Qawals..and they too have no issues singing lyrics which are considered nothing less than "shirk" in Islam.. Its mostly dead.

Artiste's like these are received like gems in India, but they still turn back to Pakistan..and I wonder for what..
Although there is now a movement to promote such music by organizations such as "mauseqar"

AS for the "sufi" element in this band.. Id say "sufi" my cold and damp......

@Santro,
You are really saying something there, which makes sense. I have some recorded interviews with Bade Ghulam Ali Khansahab and Roshanara Begum among others bemoaning this fact. And it all had to do with some zealots branding music (or some parts of it) as "shirk". This process had started early on (soon after partition) but gathered great momentum in the Zia era. Kathak dance was eradicated from PTV. So the dancers stopped dancing or (if they could) migrated abroad and made their careers. The "taqiyyas" of music in Lahore remain, but far fewer in numbers and following. Great classical singers in Pakistan switched to singing ghazals and qawwali to make a living. One instance of that was Munshi Raziuddin, though he still performed classical music in private mehfils. But what could they do, for example to sing Raga Durga would have been considered to be "shirk"!

So some like Bade Ghulam Ali Khan returned to India, while Roshanara Begum went silent. Of course some people in Pakistan like the music-loving advocate from Lahore (I forget his name now) are doing sterling work to preserve the musical tradition. I pray for their success.

Luckily for Pakistan, the tradition of folk music was too popular to be wiped out. So it endures while being given different labels such as "sufi" etc. But given the revival of obscurantism in Pakistan in recent times, I have'nt stopped worrying completely.

---------- Post added at 05:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 AM ----------

Well I am reading now, and there seems to be the two subcategories. Hindustani and Carnatic for classical Indian music.

So, probably you are more enlightened now..................:azn:

Talking of inferiority complex, who better than you people to set the example....seems an acute lack of patriotism that you have to copy almost word for word of a Pakistani patriotic song......Obsession is another term that comes to mind. :cheesy:

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Damn....you stole the words right out of my mouth. !!

pakistan>>>>>>india

khattam karo yaar eke line me:big_boss::pakistan:

I understand that when one says Indian music it could mean one of the following:
Hindustani classical
Carnatic
folk music of all indian states

What does one mean by Pakistani music
Did they invent anything new in the past 64 years or are they simply claim punjabi folk and sufi music as pakistani?
because both punjabi folk and sufi aren't exclusive to that part of India which is now pakistan in the past as well as present.

Now don't tell me that this is also a concept like Ancient Pakistan.

I understand that when one says Indian music it could mean one of the following:
Hindustani classical
Carnatic
folk music of all indian states

What does one mean by Pakistani music
Did they invent anything new in the past 64 years or are they simply claim punjabi folk and sufi music as pakistani?
because both punjabi folk and sufi aren't exclusive to that part of India which is now pakistan in the past as well as present.

Now don't tell me that this is also a concept like Ancient Pakistan.

Music of Pakistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Santro can you elaborate "Indian technique" and "Muslim element"?? Except Dhrupad everything has Muslim element in it, whether it is in India or in Pakistan..

Santro can you elaborate "Indian technique" and "Muslim element"?? Except Dhrupad everything has Muslim element in it, whether it is in India or in Pakistan..

From what I read there is definitely a heavy persian influence.

@ Santro
Thanks for the clip of Ustad Raees Khan. His playing on the sitar illustrates the point that music does not like to be bound and fettered in any way. He starts his medley with a "Bhatiyali Dhun" which is based on folk music from Bengal then the piece that he introduces as "Bangal" is actually based on Bengali Kirtan and then he goes on.

This recording is from the later part of Ustad Raees Khan's life when he had become rather cynical about music (and maybe life). Interestingly, I just got (a few days ago) a video-tape of an interview with him from DD India archives which seems to be about the same time. He sounds really embittered there.

Back
Top Bottom