What's new

Pakistani PM hails China as his country's 'best friend'

No no no no ;)

Pakistan is of special interest for the United States to restrict China and Russia. India is unimportant.

Yes, I forgot the Soviet Union, but also China in the 70S and 80S? It was a honeymoon period in China and the West. There are some cherish in the memory of that era, should not have so much nonsense and malicious, at least a quiet environment and the West.

You have to understand that your education level was far lower then compared to the later period when all of that are increased. In addition, there are no major wars after 1976 and U.S. had given a great amount assistance throughout Zia's era while that was not the case before that.

There were sanctions. And in the 1960s, it was military rule and assistance was for sure coming from the west.

Education was lower in the 1960s, but then you admit now that education, literacy etc has greatly increased post-zia? That is an improvement.

One thing I have to make clear is that I indicate Bhutto's era as the the time before Zia's take-over. Maybe I should just say Pre-Zia's era since your independence.

Z Bhuttos era was a period of very poor economic growth if you read the graph above.

It is so weird to see people like you now to play a nice guy. No intention to attack? It seems that all I got from guys like you are attacks. I see no interest of those "throwing a brick to attract jade" attitude at all.

There is no intention to attack, just to explain some things. I agree with what you said, every country receiving foreign aid. But I also want you and others to focus on my later views. A Chinese saying "throwing a brick to attract jade", hoping to More useful discussion, because I was interested in it.

China vows lasting support for troubled Pakistan

China vows lasting support for troubled Pakistan
By Ben Blanchard and Chris Buckley, Reuters May 18, 2011 2:36 PM

4805159.bin

Pakistan's Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani (R) and China's Premier Wen Jiabao (C) inspect honour guards during a welcome ceremony at the Great Hall of the People on May 18, 2011 in Beijing, China. Yusuf Raza Gilani is on and official four day visit to China.
Photograph by: Jason Lee-Pool, Getty Images

BEIJING - Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao assured his Pakistani counterpart Yusuf Raza Gilani of China's "all-weather friendship" on Wednesday, during a visit that sharply contrasted with anger between Washington and Islamabad.

"I wish to stress here that no matter what changes might take place in the international landscape, China and Pakistan will remain forever good neighbours, good friends, good partners and good brothers," Wen told Gilani at the start of a meeting in central Beijing's Great Hall of the People.

Gilani's four-day trip to China began on Tuesday, marking 60 years of diplomatic ties, and has given the neighbours a chance to display their steadfast friendship, which is at odds with U.S. criticism of Pakistan's inability to catch Osama bin Laden.

Pakistan's brittle relationship with the United States, its major donor, was intensely strained after U.S. forces on May 2 killed bin Laden, the world's most wanted man, in Pakistan. He appears to have hidden there for years, prompting anger and questions in Washington about why he was not found sooner.

Wen said that Pakistan had made "huge sacrifices" in the international struggle against terrorism, Chinese state television reported.

"Pakistan's independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity must be respected," it paraphrased Wen as saying.

"The international community must understand and support Pakistan's efforts towards maintaining domestic stability and realizing economic development."

Wen and Gilani oversaw the signing of several agreements, including one extending China's role in the Saindak gold and copper in Pakistan up to 2017, and one on co-operating in bank regulation, the official Associated Press of Pakistan reported.

"ALL-WEATHER FRIENDS"

Close ties between China and Pakistan reflect long-standing shared wariness of their common neighbour, India, and a desire to hedge against U.S. influence across the region.

On Wednesday, official Chinese media kept up that theme.

"Currently, China and Pakistan both regard each other as diplomatic cornerstones and important backers," said a commentary in the overseas edition of the People's Daily, China's main government newspaper.

Beijing's support for Pakistan reflects its worries about instability spilling into its own western regions, especially heavily Muslim Xinjiang.

But the mutual vows of the Sino-Pakistani all-weather friendship only go so far, several analysts said. Pakistan's government and military are too reliant on U.S. security and economic aid to risk that alliance, they said.

Nor does Beijing want to risk deep entanglement in volatile Pakistani politics, risking its own interests and alienating India, a big but wary trade partner.

"Pakistan has high hopes for China, because its relations with the United States are so tense," said Hu Shisheng, an expert on South Asia at the China Institutes of Contemporary International Relations, a think tank in Beijing.

"But nonetheless the U.S.-Pakistani anti-terror alliance isn't going to rupture."

© Copyright (c) Reuters

Yes, I forgot the Soviet Union, but also China in the 70S and 80S? It was a honeymoon period in China and the West. There are some cherish in the memory of that era, should not have so much nonsense and malicious, at least a quiet environment and the West.

yes, probably the Soviet Union mainly in the 70s and 80s.

It is so weird to see people like you now to play a nice guy. No intention to attack? It seems that all I got from guys like you are attacks. I see no interest of those "throwing a brick to attract jade" attitude at all.

I can not even explain my position? I even said I agree with the views of Pakistani friends. I do not interpret my words? Sir, your intentions too obvious, then no one will take you for one thing.

There is no intention to attack, just to explain some things. I agree with what you said, every country receiving foreign aid. But I also want you and others to focus on my later views. A Chinese saying "throwing a brick to attract jade", hoping to More useful discussion, because I was interested in it.

I know there is no intention to attack on your part, I was doing some explaining on my part as well :). I appreciate what you have to say. I'm happy we're having this discussion. :cheers:

I can not even explain my position? I even said I agree with the views of Pakistani friends. I do not interpret my words? Sir, your intentions too obvious, then no one will take you for one thing.

What is my intention exactly? To sabotage the relation between Pakistan and China??? Any attacks you can throw at me? 抛砖引玉???

What a joke.

In addition, reading the lines of the latest post regarding the two premier meeting:

"Beijing's support for Pakistan reflects its worries about instability spilling into its own western regions, especially heavily Muslim Xinjiang."

Does that have anything different from my concerns expressed earlier which are under constant attacks here???

Aid during 60s is far less than what you got during 80s.

About improvement in literacy, it should happen. About how great the improvement is, I do not know.

As I have indicated, excluding the war periods, with that condition e.g. literacy level, aid level, war effect, pre-Zia's era developed well on average.

There were sanctions. And in the 1960s, it was military rule and assistance was for sure coming from the west.

Education was lower in the 1960s, but then you admit now that education, literacy etc has greatly increased post-zia? That is an improvement.

Z Bhuttos era was a period of very poor economic growth if you read the graph above.

What is my intention exactly? To sabotage the relation between Pakistan and China??? Any attacks you can throw at me? 抛砖引玉???

What a joke.

Sir, even our Pakistani friends who have accepted, you are still not easy let me decide, why? because of jealousy or feel like an eyesore to you? You see, the reasons enough to explain your performance. There also are a Chinese "Wise eyes will not neglect a grain of sand ", you know?

Yes, China's strategy also depends on the interest, but we always have a long-term perspective of friends, much less neighbors, it comes from our culture and political system will not simply be changed.

Yep one cannot deny that there are common and mutual interests. We understood that, our Pakistani brothers and sisters understood that.
The important thing is we have to meet eachother in the middle and not to take advantage of one another.

I was more keen on what Grandpa Wen said than the usual western undertone towards the end. Regardless, the Chinese - Pakistan relationship has been time tested and that is one undeniable fact.

Back
Top Bottom