What's new

Featured Pakistani Navy confirms Brazilian jetliner will replace Orion patrol aircraft

...anyone remember this? It's right up there with wishing for VLS on MILGEM.

@Tank131 @Hassan Guy @JamD @ziaulislam

1603839114694.png

Last edited:
Ameer ul Behr is a lovely name for CNS, nothing beats Sipah Salar though. I wonder what's the Urdu name for ACM.

I wish Pakistani channels use proper Urdu names for these titles. Usually they take the easy route and use English words when there are perfectly reasonable Urdu words available. This way the nation's Urdu vocabulary would increase.

As for the Sea Sultan I know there are budget constraints and a lack of will in this regard but wouldn't it be great if the customization is done indigenously

Ameer ul Behr is a lovely name for CNS, nothing beats Sipah Salar though. I wonder what's the Urdu name for ACM.

I wish Pakistani channels use proper Urdu names for these titles. Usually they take the easy route and use English words when there are perfectly reasonable Urdu words available. This way the nation's Urdu vocabulary would increase.

As for the Sea Sultan I know there are budget constraints and a lack of will in this regard but wouldn't it be great if the customization is done indigenously
Ameer ul Behr is the root word for Admiral

There may be a few reasons for the conversion being overseas.

E.g., the contractor may share some of the cost of doing it so they can re-market it to other customers (like Sea Eagle). In this case, the PN gets to split the cost with someone else instead of taking it alone.

The other factor may be that working with a company in Germany or UK could make it easier to get Embraer's help. Some bilateral deal with Embraer and PAC or NRDI could be a lot tougher to pass through some countries. So if the US knocks on Germany's door about the Lineage LRMPA, Germany can say, "well our company's doing it, and it's our business, so tough."

Finally, we also just lack the capacity to do it properly at home. You still need an established design and controls testing (@JamD) regime to carry out the work indigenously.

I think the complexity of a full-fledged LRMPA is much more than an AEW&C or ECM aircraft because you have to integrate (and test) hard points and maybe cut an internal bay. There aren't a lot of countries that can do it, and we really only have one other serviceable example of this type in the world -- the P-8. The Lineage LRMPA would be the second one if it succeeds.

There may be a few reasons for the conversion being overseas.

E.g., the contractor may share some of the cost of doing it so they can re-market it to other customers (like Sea Eagle). In this case, the PN gets to split the cost with someone else instead of taking it alone.

The other factor may be that working with a company in Germany or UK could make it easier to get Embraer's help. Some bilateral deal with Embraer and PAC or NRDI could be a lot tougher to pass through some countries. So if the US knocks on Germany's door about the Lineage LRMPA, Germany can say, "well our company's doing it, and it's our business, so tough."

Finally, we also just lack the capacity to do it properly at home. You still need an established design and controls testing (@JamD) regime to carry out the work indigenously.

I think the complexity of a full-fledged LRMPA is much more than an AEW&C or ECM aircraft because you have to integrate (and test) hard points and maybe cut an internal bay. There aren't a lot of countries that can do it, and we really only have one other serviceable example of this type in the world -- the P-8. The Lineage LRMPA would be the second one if it succeeds.
A journey of 1000 miles has to start with a single step :)

On 10 January 2020, the Pakistan Navy (PN) released a tender for one twin-engine jet-powered aircraft it will use as a platform for its next-generation long-range maritime patrol aircraft (LRMPA).
In its documentation, the PN outlined that it requires the aircraft to fall within the following parameters:
  • Maximum Take-Off Weight (MTOW): 120,000 lbs to 140,000 lbs
  • Ferry Range: 4,000+ nautical miles
  • Total Length: 120 ft or less
  • Wingspan: 112 ft or less
  • Maximum Take-Off/Landing Distance: 7,000 ft
  • Service Ceiling: 40,000 ft to 50,000 ft
The PN wants bidders to offer aircraft in a clean configuration, i.e., ‘as-is’ if the aircraft is a passenger or a VIP/executive transport. Moreover, the aircraft “should have no design deviations from the OEM specified basic configuration and should conform to OEM’s original structural design.”
The aircraft “should be suitable for subsequent modification as LRMP” capable of the following missions:
  • Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR)
  • Anti-Surface Warfare (ASuW)
  • Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW)
  • Airborne Early Warning (AEW)
The LRMPA configuration will also be able to support secondary roles, including asymmetrical threats or challenges, search-and-rescue, training, and transport.

...anyone remember this? It's right up there with wishing for VLS on MILGEM.

@Tank131 @Hassan Guy @JamD @ziaulislam

View attachment 683285

As i have said, dont want to be on the wrong side of a dua made by someone who keeps getting his way! Although im pretty sure we both had the milgem wishlist 🤪.

A journey of 1000 miles has to start with a single step :)

Sure, but not when you are in the process of creating a brand new system on a platform with which it has never been done. They have to cut a weapons bay, integrate radar, acoustic sensors, underwing harpoints and numerous other electronics into a platform which wasnt designed with that in mind and make it all work well. You let the companies with experience start the project, share the cost and risk and when you see it is possible and successful, import the work back home. Have your engineers and technicians assist in the project to grow the home based capability. That is first steps. You didnt go from no experience to a Pakistan putting out a flying JF-17 with an AESA radar. You sources the work to a partner with knowhow and experience, developing and fostering experience in your engineers and know are starting project azm.

No, these will replace P-3C, this was mentioned clearly by CNS in speech.

1) Even the updates on the P-3C are old
2) Airframe is old and now being retired by almost every major operator in the world
3) Jet has bigger advantage over turbo-prop
It will take 15 years for all 10 units to be operational..(assuming 1 unit per year)

This might be done in batches/blocks
By that time the orions will be 35 years old..

Sound like a tremendous development look forward to full details modifying structure of plane is time consuming
I was thinking may be we will get a smaller platform

Example Swordfish
THGQDQBGANDGFJU3T4BD6M7KSM.jpg

Remains to be seen what happens

Pakistan has the RAS-72s which are almost 100% the same as the Saab Swordfish. They use almost the same systems. The only difference is the type of plane employeed, ATR-72 vs bombardier series of the Swordfish.

It will take 15 years for all 10 units to be operational..(assuming 1 unit per year)

This might be done in batches/blocks
By that time the orions will be 35 years old..

How do you know delivery is 1 per year?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom