What's new

Pakistani Hindus | All Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is stopping ahmadis from voting a political rights issue or a religious issue? It seems you people pick and choose what topic you put under what heading.

No one has stopped Ahmadis from voting, they chose to boycott it themselves.

Ahmadis to boycott Pakistan election | GlobalPost

We try to avoid all religious threads, unless there is a wider aspect to the discussion, which forms a good enough reason for us to let it take place.

Best.

No one has stopped Ahmadis from voting, they chose to boycott it themselves.

Ahmadis to boycott Pakistan election | GlobalPost

We try to avoid all religious threads, unless there is a wider aspect to the discussion, which forms a good enough reason for us to let it take place.

Best.

Duh, ahmadis can only vote if they declare themselves non muslims, why should we do that? What kind of law is this that forces someone to adhere to a particular label before they are allowed to vote. And I don't want to take it any further, PDF is not the place to discuss ahmadis situation. Everyone else but Ahmadis.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/623626/oh-look-a-pakistani-hindu/

By Priyanka Rajani

623626-PriyankaRajaniNewagain-1382977436-834-640x480.JPG

After more than two decades of belonging to a country, I find it quite hilarious when people hear my name and automatically assume I’m from India. Thank you for that, Priyanka Chopra. The most popular reaction to my name goes something like this: I say “Priyanka”, you say “Chopra”. Not kidding.

But this is all fun. What’s not fun is to constantly have to explain why I still live here. On my first-ever visit to India, when I arrived at the police station to inform the officials of my arrival, the clerk’s first question for my uncle was “Wapas kyun jaaney derahay ho? A question I was forced to think about during my entire stay. Those people don’t speak my language and I don’t like Hindi much. But that place was safe. My mother wasn’t worried I’d die every time I went out for chaat.

In Pakistan, till recently, my biggest problem was all the attention my name garnered for me. People elsewhere in the country were being called names and kicked out of classrooms for their ethnic backgrounds or religious beliefs — but we won’t discuss that here. What I will discuss here are the various reactions I’ve encountered (in Pakistan) with regard to my religion and (in India) with regard to my nationality.

Once, a kind Punjabi man from Lahore, after realising he’d had a three-hour Partition related conversation with a Pakistani Hindu, said I was “his own daughter, Pakistan’s daughter, because I was born here”. He even promised to visit when he came to my city. And this isn’t even the nicest thing ever said to me. A couple of years ago, a friend’s grandfather, upon realising he was in the company of a Hindu, said I should tell my father that “his brother in Lahore” would look after me and that I should call him if I needed anything. The man was 11 at the time of Partition. He was amongst those who had lost loved ones and made the difficult journey to cross the border 66 years ago.

My journey across the same border was different, of course. After a life lived on the wrong side, I found that India was exactly what Bollywood movies had taught me to expect: only bigger and scarier. The only problem was that when I wasn’t with my family, I was a stranger; I couldn’t read the signs on the roads. Once, at a Rajasthani restaurant, my Urdu caused a waiter to ask me where I was from. My cousin and my aunt were quick to reply for me, “Dubai se aye hain guests”. They had their reasons, I suppose. Sentiments run high when it comes to India and Pakistan. If we keep these sentimental values aside though, I know we live in troubled times. But that isn’t just true for the minorities here. It’s true for everyone.

The street I live on, in Pakistan — the country I was born and raised in — has suffered several bomb attacks during my short lifetime. Buildings that were torn apart were rebuilt just to be attacked again. People were killed and there was destruction everywhere. This is how I learnt what ‘terror’ means. All of this and much worse is experienced by Pakistanis on an almost daily basis.

People from across the border leave me messages on social media websites, asking what it’s like to be a Hindu in Pakistan, whether things are as bad as their television sets cause them to believe and I laugh. I laugh each time because that question seems naive and I only have one answer: the one thing that unites all Pakistanis today is the fear with which they live and contrary to what one might want to believe, no one is safe from that. All of us live with a combination of rage, confusion and helplessness but we survive, day in and day out.

To keep it simple, it’s scary to live in Pakistan — Hindu or not. And as much as we’d all like to escape the dread of this life, there isn’t any other place I’d much rather be living, after all,umeed pey dunya qaim hai — all we need now, is the himmat.

Published in The Express Tribune, October 29th, 2013.

Very interesting read. It is very sad to see innocent Pakistanis going through all this. I hope we can help them in any way if they need and brush aside all this hate for once.

Doesn't this belong in the Pakistani hindu thread

: the one thing that unites all Pakistanis today is the fear with which they live and contrary to what one might want to believe, no one is safe from that. All of us live with a combination of rage, confusion and helplessness but we survive, day in and day out.

To keep it simple, it’s scary to live in Pakistan — Hindu or not. And as much as we’d all like to escape the dread of this life, there isn’t any other place I’d much rather be living, after all,umeed pey dunya qaim hai — all we need now, is the himmat.

:pakistan::pakistan::pakistan::pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:
Pakistan Zindabad

I know her story is true of 99% of the educated and well off Pakistanis here. Its natural to be scared. Its also natural to become somewhat used to a state of fear because life cannot stop and must go on. 99% of the Pakistanis here would happily wage war with us online on PDF. But 99% of them would grab the chance to live in a Muslim dominant Pakistani-zed version of India given the choice today. That is the stark truth.

Of course then eventually that India too would become today's Pakistan. You can't win them all .....

By Priyanka Rajani

623626-PriyankaRajaniNewagain-1382977436-834-640x480.JPG

After more than two decades of belonging to a country, I find it quite hilarious when people hear my name and automatically assume I’m from India. Thank you for that, Priyanka Chopra. The most popular reaction to my name goes something like this: I say “Priyanka”, you say “Chopra”. Not kidding.

But this is all fun. What’s not fun is to constantly have to explain why I still live here. On my first-ever visit to India, when I arrived at the police station to inform the officials of my arrival, the clerk’s first question for my uncle was “Wapas kyun jaaney derahay ho? A question I was forced to think about during my entire stay. Those people don’t speak my language and I don’t like Hindi much. But that place was safe. My mother wasn’t worried I’d die every time I went out for chaat.

In Pakistan, till recently, my biggest problem was all the attention my name garnered for me. People elsewhere in the country were being called names and kicked out of classrooms for their ethnic backgrounds or religious beliefs — but we won’t discuss that here. What I will discuss here are the various reactions I’ve encountered (in Pakistan) with regard to my religion and (in India) with regard to my nationality.

Once, a kind Punjabi man from Lahore, after realising he’d had a three-hour Partition related conversation with a Pakistani Hindu, said I was “his own daughter, Pakistan’s daughter, because I was born here”. He even promised to visit when he came to my city. And this isn’t even the nicest thing ever said to me. A couple of years ago, a friend’s grandfather, upon realising he was in the company of a Hindu, said I should tell my father that “his brother in Lahore” would look after me and that I should call him if I needed anything. The man was 11 at the time of Partition. He was amongst those who had lost loved ones and made the difficult journey to cross the border 66 years ago.

My journey across the same border was different, of course. After a life lived on the wrong side, I found that India was exactly what Bollywood movies had taught me to expect: only bigger and scarier. The only problem was that when I wasn’t with my family, I was a stranger; I couldn’t read the signs on the roads. Once, at a Rajasthani restaurant, my Urdu caused a waiter to ask me where I was from. My cousin and my aunt were quick to reply for me, “Dubai se aye hain guests”. They had their reasons, I suppose. Sentiments run high when it comes to India and Pakistan. If we keep these sentimental values aside though, I know we live in troubled times. But that isn’t just true for the minorities here. It’s true for everyone.

The street I live on, in Pakistan — the country I was born and raised in — has suffered several bomb attacks during my short lifetime. Buildings that were torn apart were rebuilt just to be attacked again. People were killed and there was destruction everywhere. This is how I learnt what ‘terror’ means. All of this and much worse is experienced by Pakistanis on an almost daily basis.

People from across the border leave me messages on social media websites, asking what it’s like to be a Hindu in Pakistan, whether things are as bad as their television sets cause them to believe and I laugh. I laugh each time because that question seems naive and I only have one answer: the one thing that unites all Pakistanis today is the fear with which they live and contrary to what one might want to believe, no one is safe from that. All of us live with a combination of rage, confusion and helplessness but we survive, day in and day out.

Did you even read your own posted article?

She was in Shining India and her relatives had to say she was from Dubai.

Quoted from the article you posted..

"To keep it simple, it’s scary to live in Pakistan — Hindu or not. And as much as we’d all like to escape the dread of this life, there isn’t any other place I’d much rather be living, after all,umeed pey dunya qaim hai — all we need now, is the himmat."

Yes.
Pakistani's are not looked too favourably in India. I would say that much is obvious.
If she decides to shift permanently, then the case would be different.

Why should Indians or Hindus be looked at favorably in Pakistan? Are you guys special or you just want to be treated differently because you guys are Secular enough like the West? You are one in the same, probably even worse when it comes to being tolerant.

Nit picking.

Move back can also be called moving forward.

The point is that Pakistani Hindus are persecuted and looked down upon in Pakistan.
In such conditions, Pakistani Hindus do have the option of leaving that country and coming to India and settling down here.

They may have been natives of that land for centuries, that much I donot doubt, but survival requires change - and this is inescapable.
Else what remains in the end is that family would be targeted for their faith, extorted and more often than not, the women of the family would be abducted.

Hindus were looked down upon even during the rule by Muslims starting from the Slave Dynasty to the Mughals.

They stood their ground and held on to their values. Today the then rulers bite the dust.

Instead of feeling sorry for the Hindus and Sikhs in Pakistan I feel proud of them for displaying more courage than most. They are the real holders of faith, they had a choice ( they may still have one) but they chose to remain in the face of terrible adversity.

Something to be proud of. They need acknowledgement & appreciation not an escape option.

The Pakistani Hindu i have met in person are patriotic.majority of them.

Indeed they should be proud as they still are the only true remaining Indigenous People of IVC unlike the indian hindu,Who in reality were pagans and had no idea as to how civilized people leave and are rather converted hindu

Why should Indians or Hindus be looked at favorably in Pakistan? Are you guys special or you just want to be treated differently because you guys are Secular enough like the West?

In answer to your first question, the term Pakistan or Pakistani has only negative connotations in our society. Its like a Pavlovian response. You say Pakistani aloud and people everywhere will stop what they are doing right in their tracks.

I will give you an example. I was browzing PDF on my laptop in the college canteen. This was the old nice look with the big green logo on top etc. Well I started getting stares and strange looks. I did not realize what was going on till I saw the BIG Pakistan Defence Forum letters on the top of the page.

I know its unreasonable. But I actually felt embarrassed that day. Like I was somehow a spy or a traitor and was doing something anti-national.

No one deserves it.
You are bordering on psychotic.
Bhukhe paet main bhikharion ki madad nahin ki jaati. Help kashmiri pundits first. They deserve it as they choose it. Why dont they do something like kashmiri ? Why they remain silent for so long ? they deserve it.

It is better to have them in India instead of these thankless illegal Bangladeshis who separated from India through their own consent. Now, even Rohingyas are getting asylum in India, why would we deny that to the Pakistani Hindus. Remember Pakistani was created after the consent of Indian leaders, if they wish to migrate to India on ground of religion persection, we should provide them asylum.
They should have migrated long before, not now. And regarding Bangladeshis, its again our fault. Look at the leaders, they try to represent themselves as intellectuals, but they are pseudo intellectuals. we should not have helped Bangladesh at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom