What's new

Pakistani Forces against Militants.

Sir it was a nice movie. Very poignant ending I must say.

As the afsar tells the jawaan, Afghanistan mein koi Pakistani nahin hai. High command ne kaha hai.

So was Independence Day and I love it when Will Smith and those other pilots destroy that Alien Mothership, I guess we owe our lives to those brave men otherwise we would be mining galactic lignitium ore on planet jooba. Seriously, I expected somewhat better posting from you. If quoting an ill-researched piece of fictitious cinema is what you'll resort to in order to prove a point then I rest my case that all of you guys are here for making a mockery of my field. You guys aren't defence enthusiasts, you're keyboard junkies looking for a place to spoil.

page badlo dahshat mat failao

Icarus hand on heart serious question bro - there are no Pakistani baddies in Afghanistan?

None sent and shielded and suppported and armed and fed by Pakistan state machinery?

Icarus hand on heart serious question bro - there are no Pakistani baddies in Afghanistan?

None sent and shielded and suppported and armed and fed by Pakistan state machinery?

Pakistani baddies, yes. Along with baddies from Chechan, American, Saudi, Indian, Begali and pretty much every nationality imaginable.
As for the second part, no none supported by Pakistani state machinery, if that were the case, why would we be fighting off constant cross-border raids from areas that happen to be the HUBS of militant activity in Afghanistan.

Seriously, is this the thread you answer such questions?
Icarus, are they even worth answering?

We have a report button.

As a TT, it happens to be my unfortunate responsibility to answer all questions pertaining to my area of expertise no matter how childish and immature they are. Unfortunately, it's been a while since I was asked a question that I actually enjoyed answering but with the quality of members these days, even a question derived from an ill-researched piece of cheap cinema seems like something worth answering, maybe it will help spark some intellectual discussion, it's asking for too much but a man can dream can't he?

As a TT, it happens to be my unfortunate responsibility to answer all questions pertaining to my area of expertise no matter how childish and immature they are. Unfortunately, it's been a while since I was asked a question that I actually enjoyed answering but with the quality of members these days, even a question derived from an ill-researched piece of cheap cinema seems like something worth answering, maybe it will help spark some intellectual discussion, it's asking for too much but a man can dream can't he?

Yes, answering questions and clearing out mis-conceptions is your work under the banner of Chaiman of TT section.
However, you must understand the motives on these questions by the posters; howsoever detailed replies you give back, they are least willing to change their mindset. The intentions are to flame and the best is to press report button and not reply.

If you wish to answer seldom questions, you can E-Mail me and I would ask you serious questions. (PM not working).

Yes, answering questions and clearing out mis-conceptions is your work under the banner of Chaiman of TT section.
However, you must understand the motives on these questions by the posters; howsoever detailed replies you give back, they are least willing to change their mindset. The intentions are to flame and the best is to press report button and not reply.

If you wish to answer seldom questions, you can E-Mail me and I would ask you serious questions. (PM not working).

Any questions can be asked publicly on my profile and will always be answered.

KHAR, Sept 2: Nine militants, among them key Taliban ‘commanders’, were killed and several others injured as clashes in the border area of Bajaur Agency continued on Sunday.

Official sources said security forces and volunteers of a local peace committee attacked several hideouts and militant positions in Batwar area of Salarzai tehsil.

Sources said nine militants were killed and an unspecified number of their comrades injured.

The officials did not disclose names of the Taliban `commanders’ killed in the gunbattle.

According to local people, both sides used heavy weapons against each other.

They said at least two members of the peace committee and a security official were injured. However, the local administration did not confirm it.

The officials said security forces and volunteers were moving towards militant areas, adding they had already taken over a few important positions

Nine militants killed in Bajaur clashes | DAWN.COM

Taliban Negotiations Prompt New Alignments

September 7, 2012

Pakistani and Western media reported Thursday that officials from the United States, Afghanistan and Pakistan met in Islamabad to discuss negotiating with the Afghan Taliban. The first meeting of the Safe Passage Working Group, which was formed in April, discussed how to provide Taliban leaders safe passage to join peace negotiations. The group is currently focusing on logistical matters, such as the procurement of visas, and on choosing which Taliban officials should be guaranteed security.

Thursday's meeting indicated that stalled U.S.-Taliban talks may be moving forward after six months of inaction. In March, the Taliban suspended negotiations toward an eventual political settlement for post-NATO Afghanistan, saying they would resume only after Washington released five top Afghan jihadists from Guantanamo Bay. Media rumors have persistently suggested that U.S. President Barack Obama's administration would release the individuals in question; no such release has happened thus far.

After years of unsuccessful attempts, the U.S. government finally began substantive negotiations in mid-2011 with representatives of Taliban founder and chief Mullah Mohammad Omar. From the U.S. perspective, such talks are crucial to ensuring that Afghanistan will not descend into chaos after the drawdown of NATO forces, thereby making the southwest Asian nation a haven for transnational jihadists. The hope is that, in exchange for international recognition of their role as key stakeholders in a future Afghanistan, the Taliban will ensure that al Qaeda-style foreign fighters cannot use their country as a base of operations.

The most significant aspect of the Safe Passage Working Group meeting Thursday is that the United States for the first time publicly and substantively involved Pakistan and Afghanistan in negotiations with the Taliban. Afghan President Hamid Karzai last February publicly expressed his displeasure over the fact that the United States was directly negotiating with the Taliban. He said Washington could not speak on behalf of Kabul, which he argued should be leading such talks. Meanwhile, U.S.-Pakistani relations have only recently begun to improve after hitting rock bottom last November when a U.S. airstrike killed 24 Pakistani soldiers. Their shared misgivings about Washington have allowed Kabul and Islamabad to improve both bilateral relations and coordination on post-NATO Afghanistan.

Until a few years ago, Islamabad was the principal supporter of the Afghan jihadist movement. It now fears a Taliban comeback in Afghanistan because it could worsen the insurgency that has already claimed some 40,000 lives. This explains why, in early August, Islamabad for the first time granted Kabul access to some senior Taliban leaders in Pakistani custody.

Obviously, these shifting alignments are new and will need time to mature. What is clear from the Safe Passage Working Group meeting is that a convergence is beginning to take shape between Washington, Kabul and Islamabad. It bears watching how the Taliban, the central players in this dynamic, react to the developing U.S.-Pakistan-Afghan alignment.

SF

in the end, the US accepted Pakistan thought and principal stance, so after this what happens ,,,, we meet after short break/commercial...:chilli:

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

COMMENT : Pakistan’s North Waziristan strategy — Hussain Nadim

The militants must be destroyed and weeded out, and any political negotiations must come with the local tribesmen who are in support of Pakistan

The North Waziristan operation provides Pakistan with a critical opportunity, which will not only decide the fate of internal security in Pakistan, but more importantly, will lay down the course of US-Pakistan relations. While the remarks of General Kayani show the ‘will’ and seriousness of the operation, it must also be implemented with substantial gains against the Haqqani network on the ground.

The operation in North Waziristan comes at a favourable time for Pakistan with militants already on the run due to drone strikes. Since the fate of US-Pakistan relations is dependent on this operation, the need for mutual and unconditional cooperation between the two countries becomes a necessity.

Pakistan, in this operation, faces two major technical loopholes. The ability of militants to escape into Afghanistan due to poor border security and hidden cave passages, and second, triggering civil discontent throughout the country due to a full military operation in the populated areas of North Waziristan including Miranshah. For the first problem, it should be known that Pakistan cannot win in North Waziristan alone, and the Pakistan army is well aware of this fact, despite its rhetoric on media against the possible collaboration with the US. To make this operation a success, American forces will have to play a large role of monitoring the border on the Afghanistan side. Enhancing security at the check posts and closely monitoring the borders is the key that will define long-term victory in the North Waziristan operation, and in the war against terrorism. In the case of militant escape into Afghanistan by dodging the check posts on the Pakistani side, the US must be ready to squeeze militants on the Afghan side.

A possible alternative would be to fence the border partially, but such an action would irritate the Afghanistan government. But in order to resolve the problem of safe havens and cross-border attacks, the borders might have to be fenced and checked in the long run.

Second, the Pakistan army should not directly go into a full operation. Low intensity warfare coupled with series of drone strikes from the US would be highly useful in rooting out militants from the cities and forcing them to areas where the Pakistan army can conduct a full fledged operation. For that, the Pakistan government must stop its ‘face saving’ policy of denouncing drone strikes in the media. The government and the army should start owning drone strikes and come clean on how the drone technology is vital in the war against the militant groups in Pakistan.

While sharing the drone technology is a far-fetched idea, the US should at least start working on acquiring the consent of the Pakistan army on drone strikes and get prior validation to strike.

At this point of time, the people in Pakistan must understand how drones are actually working in the interests of Pakistan by avoiding an all out war in the cities, and by minimising civilian casualties. Only the media and government have the power to make people realise that, but since the government is too divided, and the opposition in parliament is not ‘one’ with the sitting government on the issues of foreign policy, it would politicise the drone issue, which is the second loophole for the Pakistan army.

The strongest resistance is likely to come from the urban centres of Punjab with parties like the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz, the Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf, and Islamic parties all coming on board against the operation, not North Waziristan itself where the actual war is going to take place. The urban centres, which have suffered the least from terrorism, are far more radicalised and anti-American compared to the rural areas and those places where the war is taking place. Hence we see large anti-drone rallies in the cities of Punjab where people have little firsthand experience of drones.

Having done ground research in Waziristan, I have noticed that people have lately become fed up with the growing mafia-style of militancy in the area. The operation in North Waziristan by the Pakistan army is perhaps going to be welcomed by the natives.

Another important issue is going to be a political settlement. In the past, the Pakistan army resorted to political negotiations with militant groups once the military offensive halted, only to be backstabbed later. The militants have used political settlement as a way of stabilising and regaining strength. The Pakistan army will have to ensure that it does not get into any political agreement that allows these groups the space to regenerate. The militants must be destroyed and weeded out, and any political negotiations must come with the local tribesmen who are in support of Pakistan, will not allow the land to be used for insurgency against the US, and see the militants as an enemy.

It is important for the Pakistan army to make their goals clear to the public, and to the world at large. The operation in North Waziristan should be taken with an aim to not only secure Pakistan from the threat of militancy, but to ensure that the land of Pakistan will not be violated by militants to carry out insurgency against the US and NATO forces. It is about time Pakistan becomes a responsible international actor whose motivations and goals cannot be doubted by the international community.

The writer is the Visiting Scholar of Asia Programme, Woodrow Wilson Centre

TTP’s Orakzai chief arrested from Nowshera | DAWN.COM

NOWSHERA: Police on Tuesday arrested Qari Saeed, chief of the banned Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan’s Orakzai chapter in Nowshera, DawnNews reported.

Qari Saeed was arrested with an accomplice during a raid conducted by the police in the Banda Nabi village in Nowshera’s Pabbi Tehsil.

Police sources said they suspected Qari Saeed was in town to collaborate a sabotage attempt on a gathering being organised to observe the second death anniversary of Mian Rashid Hussain, son of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Information Minister Mian Iftikhar Hussain.

Rashid Hussain was gunned down in July 2010 in his ancestral town of Pabbi, Nowshera district

I am Satisfied the Pak Army for successful military operations

success/ failure of an operation lies in 'successful consolidation' of a military success.

With regard to restive parts of FATA, the political aspect is missing still, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom