What's new

Pakistani Dishes Everyone Should Learn To Cook

I don't like this tu tu main main, but its you guys who copied it. All those dishes are either from Lucknow/Awadh region or Hyderabad.

Only Baloch and Pashtun cuisine is something Pakistan can claim.

Sounds like BS... Because all the food are Pakistani in origin .. Panjabi food is also "Pakistani"..

Also I find it funny to see an Indian from thousands of miles away claiming Pak food especially meat dishes (including beef)... Which you don't eat.

check your post.

Check the thread title and OP.

INstead of enjoying something, you are weeping and crying bharat bharat bharat.

Please quit.
Typical of them... Can't digest anything positive about Pak...

It's like a bangali claiming naan of a beef seekh kebab ... While he eats fish n rice..

Sounds like BS... Because all the food are Pakistani in origin .. Panjabi food is also "Pakistani"..

Also I find it funny to see an Indian from thousands of miles away claiming Pak food especially meat dishes (including beef)... Which you don't eat.

Typical of them... Can't digest anything positive about Pak...

It's like a bangali claiming naan of a beef seekh kebab ... While he eats fish n rice..

Seekh Kebab is also made with lamb/mutton, ditto for Biryani, Haleem, Nihari. You think this is bad, wait till the Bangladeshis find out about Pakistanis claiming Jhaalfrezi as their own :rofl:

As I said, only Baloch and Pashtun cuisine is unique to Pakistan, rest is not.

check your post.

Check the thread title and OP.

INstead of enjoying something, you are weeping and crying bharat bharat bharat.

Please quit.

You are the one who going on about unique dishes, these dishes are not unique, and belong to India just as much as Pakistan, if not more. I mean gulab jamun, ras malai and samosas are Pakistani dishes? Yeah right.

You are the one who going on about unique dishes, these dishes are not unique, and belong to India just as much as Pakistan, if not more. I mean gulab jamun, ras malai and samosas are Pakistani dishes? Yeah right.

AGain shrilling like a little girl. bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat

Oh bhaba bhai

your brfain is so far gone that you are reading what YOU want to read and practically $hitting in a thread that has nothing to do with dissing bharat.

So please go find another thread. you are a senior member. you should know better.

This place is not your plate of nihari.

Thank you

AGain shrilling like a little girl. bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat mera bharat

Oh bhaba bhai

your brfain is so far gone that you are reading what YOU want to read and practically $hitting in a thread that has nothing to do with dissing bharat.

So please go find another thread. you are a senior member. you should know better.

This place is not your plate of nihari.

Thank you

Perhaps you should heed your own advise. I didn't know Indians were only allowed to comment on threads which dissed Bharat!

Perhaps you should heed your own advise. I didn't know Indians were only allowed to comment on threads which dissed Bharat!

I think you have lost the plot already and now trying to raise non issues.

As I said, only Baloch and Pashtun cuisine is unique to Pakistan, rest is not.

About ,Ras malai is believed to have originated in West Bengal and was invented by K.C. Das in the year 1930. While gulab jamun were brought to India by persian speaking traders,the samosa(sambosa) is claimed to have originated in the Middle East
Biryani originated in Persia,even Pulav( Pulao) is of Persian origin. and might have taken couple of different routes to arrive in India

WOWW,,,

Such an innocent and harmless thread and still attracting lot of butt burt Indian here? Guys, if you cannot contribute and anything positive why don't you just walk away? if is necessary to show your narrow mindedness each and every time? Such attitude goes a long way is supporting your claims of India being a moderate modern secular state,, way to go!!

I AM NOT POINTING OUT INDIANS IN GENERAL but you all can see who is 5hitting here, i hope he does get the message. If you cannot simply stand it and there is so much hatred, i will suggest you check the forum address, it is defence.PK!!! With such a low life approach, i suppose your reason to be here is nothing but troll right?

AND GUYS, YOU SERIOUSLY SHOULD NOT BE QUOTING SUCH SHITTY POSTS AND TROLL, MODS WILL TAKE ACTION SOON ENOUGH AND YOU DON'T WANT TO GET YOUR POSTS MARKED BECAUSE THEY HAD A TROLL POST IN QUOTE,,, THIS IS A VERY BASIC RULE, JUST DO NOT MENTION/QUOTE AND REPLY TO A TROLL POST PLEASE!

There are a few Indians trying to troll here, Let me be very clear, Pakistan only share the vegetable dishes with Indian Punjabi cousine. The meat dishes which are more common in Pakistan's Punjab , are not even known in India. I have had many Indian Punjabi friends , none of them knew it. Khunna, Kia gosht, Aloo gosht etc, all unique to Pakistan. Infact I once asked one of my Indian Punjabi friends whether they also have keema, they said yes. I said how do you guys make it. He said by crushing red beans and cooking it. I was talking about the keema we are used to in Pakistan which is from minced Lamb/Beef which she didn't know about. So when it comes to meat dishes, it is absolutely unique to Pakistan.

Special Chicken Karahi

Karahi-Gosht1.jpg

Submitted
by
~Humaira Iqbal

For 4 PERSON

INGREDIENTS

1/2 kg chicken
1/2 tomato
1/4 oil
2 tbsp dry red chili
1 tbsp Suki mehte
1 tsp sabit dhanya(grinded)
1 tbsp mix garam masala(grinded)
2 tbsp yogurt
salt(as you like it)
5 green chili large
2 tbsp ginger paste
1 tbsp chopped ginger
2 tbsp butter

271.jpg

METHOD

Chicken Karahi Recipe:
First heat the oil, then add chicken and (bhoonlain)
Add ginger paste.
Now mix it for few mints, then cut and add tomato, Mix it.
Now add all the masalas and mix it well until the tomatos add mix and (galjayen).
At the end add yogurt and green chili.
Let the water be dried out,and add butter and now low the temperature of your stove
Now slice the ginger and green chili and add it to you karahi.
your special chicken karahi recipe is ready.
Enjoy it.

7591edf8d3a4b3e4e020b477ab1041c9--pakistani-recipes-recipe-chicken.jpg

chicken-karahi-recipe.jpg

Benefits of Bitter Gourd (Karela)
Here are some Benefits of Mr. Bitter Gourd (Aka karela)

Bitter gourds have many nutritional and health benefits and one of them is they are good for diabetes. It is an excellent source of vitamins B1, B2, and B3, C, magnesium, folate, zinc, phosphorus, manganese, and has high dietary fiber. It is rich in iron, contains twice the beta-carotene of broccoli, twice the calcium of spinach, and twice the potassium of a banana.

As my Chronic illness forces me to transform eating habits, I’ m always on the hunt for natural antioxidants ingredients and Bitter Gourd (Karela) is one of them. I try to eat bitter gourd at least twice in a month because of its antioxidant benefits. It is very good for you, specially if you are diabetic. This reduces your blood sugar level a lot than you can imagine..So try to include it in your everyday diet.

Bitter Gourd aka ‘Karela’
The people who have never had bitter gourd, I still know what you all must be thinking.

Doesn’t it taste bitter??

How can one eat it??

Actually it is very much edible and likable. Truth is that there are numerous ways in which Bitter gourd is prepared in Pakistan. It can be stuffed with tasty spice mix, it tastes delicious when deep fried with mince stuffing( Bharwan Karela ), it can be used to make a dry curry and my mommy makes amazing curry of bitter gourd (Karela Gosht) which doesn’t taste bitter at all. It just depends how it is prepared. So at times it depends on which ingredients and technique you use and also on individual preferences.

Karela Gosht (Meat with Bitter Gourd)
Karela Gosht (Bitter gourd cooked with meat) is a traditional Pakistani dish. Yet, there are many Pakistani’s who flee from the very name of Karela.

Today, I am presenting one of the tried recipes that gained appreciation among random people. Signature style of using minimum ingredients to make a mouth-watering dish is again used. I am using mutton meat in this recipe, but if you like you can use beef or chicken too.

8426bfd96708c6c64a7d3e0069617412--indian-dishes-pakistani.jpg

‘Karela Gosht'{Bitter Gourd Cooked with Meat and Saute Onion}
In my home, everyone loves bitter gourd and its diverse dishes. It tastes savory, tangy, wonderfully spicy and slightly bitter at the same time. Karela Gosht is my all time favourite. As I mention above, I make them quite often and each time they turn out great.(Alhumdulillah)!

NewKarahiOct21-4-300x225.jpg

Photo: Karela Gosht with Chapati
It tastes great with roti / hot chapati or with tandoori roti along with zeera raita.

Yadgar-KarelaGosht-3-300x225.jpg

Photo: Karela Gosht
How to make Karela Gosht
Learn how to make easy and simple Karela Gosht by following the step by step instructions as shown in pictures. The recipe is simple and very easy to follow. You would successfully cook it in first attempt. (InshaAllah)

Bismillah Let’s Begin!

Ingredients you will need:

• 1 kg bitter gourd/ karela (peeled, cleaned and sliced)
  • 1 teaspoon salt, for sprinkling
  • 750 gm mutton or lamb meat
  • 1/2 cup cooking oil
  • 4 medium onion, thinly sliced, (divided into two parts)
  • 3 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
  • 1 inch piece of ginger, thinly sliced
  • 1 garlic bulb, peeled & minced
  • 4 green chilies
  • 2 teaspoon red chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin powder
  • 1 teaspoon coriander powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala powder (all spice powder)
  • salt to taste
  • 4 cups water for meat tenderness
images

Step 1:
First wash bitter gourds thoroughly in cold running water. Now Scrape the outer peel of the bitter melon with a sharp peeler or paring knife to remove a thin layer of peel.

karela-xyz-500x500.jpg

Peel or Scrape skin of bitter gourd (Karela)
Step: 2
Cut the bitter gourd in half length-wise. Slit from one side to remove seeds and fibrous core using a teaspoon or a paring knife.
Cut the bitter gourd and remove the seeds.
Step 3:
Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt over the peeled bitter gourds, toss together to mix evenly and keep it in sunlight for an hour, it will help to reduce its bitterness.

img_0143.jpg

Sprinkle Salt and keep it in sunlight
Step 4:
After one hour, You would see salt and sunlight is doing its magic and bitter gourd has started perspirating. Now rinse thoroughly with tap water and keep aside for 10 minutes in a strainer to dry excess water.

Step 5:
Now take the bitter gourd and squeeze it in your hands, the juices will come out and try to remove as much bitter juice out of it as possible. Squeeze and Squeeze…. don’t give up!!!

Step 6:
Cut the bitter gourd into cubes, thin slices, rings or lengthwise. (any desired shape or sizes).

images

chopped_bitter_gourd_DSC5052-(1).jpg

Cut into your desired shape
Step 7:
Heat some oil and fry the bitter gourd (in batches) on medium heat for few minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oil, drain and set aside.

12068041_1523626994594703_610891356_n.jpg

Fry Bitter Gourd
Step 8:
Heat 1/2 cup oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion until transculant. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds or the garlic aroma to hit its peak.

Step 9:
When onion starts getting golden add meat and cook on high flame until meat change its color and turned brown, continuously stir.

Step 10:
Now add chopped tomatoes and spices (turmeric, red chili, coriander, etc). Stir and cook on low flame until tomatoes soften.
Step 11:
Add 4 cups of water. Heat to boiling, covered with a lid and simmer for 1 hour on low flame or until meat become tender and juicy.
Step 12:
When meat gets cooked properly at this stage increase the flame and cook on high flame for 5 to 7 minutes or until oil comes on top and meat is tender fully. Now add leftover 2 onions and fried bitter gourd. Stir and cook on medium flame for 10-15 minutes or until onion turned caramelized and oil separates.
Step 13
Sprinkle garam masala and add green chillies and adjust seasoning to taste.. Its ready to serve. Take it out in a serving dish. Serve hot with Homemade Chapati or Roti.
lemon-green-chili-pickle-860x380.jpg

5528068b49633.jpg

Serve with garm garm (hot) chapati… ENJOY

Breakfast – Aalu, Chana, and Poori/Bhatura

So I don’t know about you guys, but we have seen a whole lot of rain in these parts. It has been either overcast or pouring for the better part of the last few days which is enough to make me wonder why on earth I was looking forward to spring! Anyway, on a day like today I thought a nice traditional breakfast is in order.

Halwa poori is the quintessential Pakistani breakfast, the kind that no one makes at home, but will pick up from the nearest ‘restaurant’ if you can call it that. Although it is called halwa poori it breaks down something like this. You get one large serving of aalu chana (potatoes and chickpea curry), several pooris (soft, thin fried bread), and a smaller portion of halwa (essentially dessert). Halwa shmalwa I say, it is all about the pooris and the aalu chana.

My friends and I were talking about it just the other day and I thought I would give it a shot at home. Brace yourself – this has been a three recipes kinda morning. For two of them I give credit to my friend Vaish whose blog you can find here. She calls it chana bhatura. I used regular chickpeas instead of the black kind because that is all I had and am not entirely sure what amchur powder is so I skipped that. Below is my (slightly) modified recipe, for the concise version please check out her blog, I have included a little more detail in mine for those who, like me, are a little bit more challenged in the kitchen. Also traditionally Pakistani pooris do not have yogurt, but Vaish’ bhatura did and I wanted to try it as written. I am so glad I did because as a result the pooris stayed soft even when they cooled down a little.

What I loved about this breakfast was that although the flavors of the dishes were different they went so well together. The back of the mouth heat of the chanas along with the tangy sour flavor of the potatoes was so delicious. And the bhaturas? Those slightly crispy, but soft and fried, but not greasy things? Sigh. Love.

On a practical note this breakfast easily serves 4.

Channa/ Chholay/ Chickpea Curry

1 can chickpeas (drained)
1/2 small onion chopped
3 medium tomatoes pureed or diced
2 tsp ginger garlic paste (I used 1 tsp ginger paste and 2 minced garlic cloves)
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 green chilis chopped
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt or to taste
2 tbsp oil
A pinch of baking soda
Juice of ½ a lemon
¼ cup chopped cilantro

Put a medium saucepan on medium-high heat, dice up your onion, add the oil to the pan along with your cumin seeds, watch it sizzle for 20 seconds and then add the onion, salt, ginger and garlic, and turmeric powder. When the onions turns a golden brown then add the tomatoes, green chilies and the remaining spices. After a while it will become one cohesive paste; this should take about ten minutes during which you should stir it frequently to avoid it sticking to the bottom of your pan. Now add your chickpeas and a pinch of baking soda. The baking soda helps make the chickpeas tender and allows them to absorb more flavor Cover the chickpeas with water, bring it to a simmer, and cover the lid and cook for 15-20 minutes till you achieve desired consistency. Check for seasoning and then add lemon juice and cilantro. Mix and serve.

Aalu Bhaji / Potatoes

¼ cup oil
¼ tsp ajwain or carom seeds
5-6 medium potatoes
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp tomato paste
1 tbsp achar or achar masala of choice
Cilantro for garnish

I found this recipe in one of my mother’s cookbooks and thought I would it. Today I decided to par boil my potatoes since I had extra tough potatoes – you know the kind where you basically throw your entire body weight behind your knife to slice them.

Heat your oil in a medium sized pan and then add the carom/ajwain and let it sizzle for 20-30 seconds, this stuff is delicate and burns easily. Then add in diced potatoes, red chili powder, salt, turmeric, and tomato paste. If you do not have tomato paste then half a finely diced tomato is fine. Cover with water and cook on a simmer till potatoes are tender, this should take about 20-25 minutes. Add a good dollop of your achar or achar seasoning of choice and either add water or reduce heat to evaporate the water to desired consistency. Garnish with cilantro and green chilies if desired.

Oh and as a shout out to my friend Aalya who has been berating my all morning, you can easily make this exact recipe with just chickpeas/chanas, and skip the potatoes in their entirety. Folks, can you believe there is someone who doesn’t like potatoes? I know. So weird. It’s okay though – she has lots of other redemptive qualities.

Bhatura

2¼ cup all purpose flour
5 tbsp plain yogurt
5 tsp oil
1 tsp salt

Sieve flour and rub in the oil. Add salt, yogurt and water and knead well to make soft dough. This took me about 15 minutes of pretty aggressive kneading and I did have to add another spoon of yoghurt. Form a ball, cover it with a wet cloth and let it rest for about an hour. The dough should feel softer now.

Divide the dough into 10 equal portions and form little balls or patties with your hands, cover them with a wet cloth and let them rest for another 45 minutes.

When you are ready to eat then heat about 1 ½ to 2 inches of oil in a skillet with high sides and then get to work on rolling out the dough.

This took some trial and error for me. I can’t really remember the last time I would have made any kind of traditional bread. However I did develop a system that more of less works.

First I formed the dough into a disc shape with my hands, then brushed the dough discs with oil and rolled it out thin with my rolling pin. I did several of these and then covered them with a wet cloth as I wanted to fry them rapidly and eat them soon after.

Drop a teeny amount of dough into the oil, if it rises to the top immediately then you are in business. Gently slide a poori into the oil, it took me about 30 seconds to get them golden and puffed on each side. Drain on paper towels as you continue to fry others.

Halwa Recipe

Ingredients Of Halwa

• 2 cups semolina (sooji)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp yellow food color
  • 10 almonds, boiled
  • 20 pistachios, boiled
  • 4 cloves
  • 6 cardamoms
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 10 raisins
  • For Puris
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil as required
Method Of Halwa

• Heat oil in a pan, split the cardamoms and put them in it.
  • Add semolina and fry till it is cooked, take out the fried semolina in a bowl.
  • Heat sugar and little water in a pan to dissolve the sugar. Mix food color in this.
  • When everything is combined then add semolina. Add almonds, pistachios and raisins. Take out in dish and serve with hot pooris.

Hi! I am Sarah, a Pakistani Canadian mama cooking and baking my way through a flavorful life. Join me as I make some classic Pakistani food and some sweet eats!

Back
Top Bottom