What's new

Pakistani corner

Bachaana’ makes Rs20m in three days

1056576-image-1456757143-339-640x480.JPG

Cinema owners and producers are confident the film will pick up in the following week, especially given that there are no new major releases. PHOTO: FILE

KARACHI:
When Bachaana was first announced a year ago, it was not exactly the most-anticipated Pakistani film among the local audience. But just three days since its release, the film may have turned that sentiment on its head.

With the Mohib Mirza, Sanam Saeed — starrer sandwiched between two major cricketing events — the Pakistan Super League (PSL) and Asia Cup T20 — there were concerns of Bachaana not performing too well at the box office. However, the movie has managed to punch above its weight.

Although an opening weekend a little in excess of Rs20 million will not break any records or make people sit up and take notice, a positive sign for the movie’s stakeholders was how the film has shown tremendous growth over the course of its initial three days.

Talking to The Express Tribune, managing director of Mandviwalla Entertainment, Nadeem Mandviwalla, said the film fared impressively at both Atrium Cinemas (Karachi) and Centaurus (Islamabad).

Atrium Cinemas recorded an average occupancy of 54% during the three days, bringing the film’s box office collection in the cinema up to Rs1.7 million. Centaurus, on the other hand, saw a healthy turnout of 81% between the same period, with its total collections amounting to Rs1.4 million.

1150.jpg

“In comparison to other Urdu movies, Bachaana has surprisingly done better in Islamabad, given that Urdu films tend to do better in Karachi,” said Mandviwalla, pointing out a common trend with local releases.

Judging by the positive word of mouth the movie has garnered during its initial run, cinema owners and producers are confident the film will pick up in the following week, especially given that there are no new major releases.

According to a representative of Eveready Pictures — the film’s distributors — the real takeaway for them has been the film’s growth on a daily basis. “Not just in Pakistan; the movie has shown tremendous growth in Dubai as well,” remarked the official.

Interestingly, the 65% upsurge mentioned by the representative seems to have come on the day of the India-Pakistan T20 match. He added how they had accounted for the match in advance and had shifted a majority of the (Dubai) shows to the afternoon and evening timeslots to ensure that the screening of the film does not coincide with the Asia Cup encounter between the arch rivals.

Yet, even though the movie has done well in multiplexes, it has been unable to maintain the same form at single-screen cinemas. A prime example of this was Capri Cinemas, where the film performed at an occupancy of about 40% to 50%, with the high point coming on Sunday. Despite a dip in performance on Saturday across single-screen cinemas, exhibitors were not surprised, claiming that it was bound to happen given the excitement and hype surrounding the India-Pakistan match.

Having already crossed Rs20 million at the box office, Bachaana’sproducer Nasir Khan is optimistic the film’s lifetime grossing would fall between Rs100 to Rs120 million.

Released across 83 screens in Pakistan on February 26, Bachaana is a comedy starring Mirza, Saeed and Adeel Hashmi. Directed and Produced by Khan and Rizwan Saeed, respectively, the movie follows the story of a Pakistan taxi driver, Vicky, and a newly-wed Indian girl, Aalia, on the run from drug lords in Mauritius. It is also expected to release in India as the Times music label, Junglee, recently bought the rights for the film’s music distribution in India.

I asked some people who were not happy with the decision regarding the crime of Salman Taseer, they had no idea, like literally. Mullahs can easily mislead the masses in this country. Shows our failure in a big way. Pathetic.

Why we blame mullahs for everything? Don't you think our education system is very poor too. It fails to educate our thoughts and mind. Isn't it just limited to a race b/w schooling systems and which one is 5 stars. In order to get the title of 'excellence' the quality of schooling got pretty poor. Also, it's all about degree now, but the enhancing of minds and getting yourself educated? I'm not defending mullahs, but we also need to see the other occurrence of erroneous in our society?

Why we blame mullahs for everything? Don't you think our education system is very poor too.
Primary retards to blame in this case. Agreed with your point.
Education alone cannot educate a person, school alone won't educate you. Society in general has a problem, no real plan to fix things.

Any Aalim or well respected Islamic Cleric supporting Qadri protest? except political parties in the name of Islam.

The word mullah/molvi means a friend of Allah and now we even use this word like a curse. :(
Those uneducated people don't even meet the requirements of this title and we believe they are representative of Islam and bash it. Now we even have started misusing this word.
We have stopped differentiating b/w educated mullah and an uneducated mullah. We don't do ourselves a favor and research about the matters. Sub Kuch plate main chiye.

Education alone cannot educate a person, school alone won't educate you. Society in general has a problem, no real plan to fix things.

Nor someone is willing to give it a start even as a step towards betterment in any subject, from education to society etc, which will ultimately result as fruitful. While looking at the faces in the democratic system, seems like we are paying for our sins.

Sub Kuch plate main chiye.

Gar bethay Jannat chahiye..... Kaam ek b theek nahi karna.... The word Mullah is indeed used very badly and looks like, for granted and it was done most by fascists liberals.

I second it all. To move a society forward, you need collective work and effort. We are all failing to do our jobs. I would blame parents here with some extent. (Those parents who have teenagers or younger). I have seen many parents today, relying completely on teachers and/or their molvi teachers to teach their kids everything. Noooooooooo you are parents and no one can teach a kid better than his/her parents. We ha d to help things out with collectively working.

Last edited:
12801214_1358961904120832_5149673115081110278_n.jpg

CII=Council of Islamic Ideology.

@Ammara Chaudhry @WAJsal indeed this is what Ulema thinks and people protesting on roads are not supporting the version of these Ulema but indeed some blind & fooled love.

12801214_1358961904120832_5149673115081110278_n.jpg

CII=Council of Islamic Ideology.

@Ammara Chaudhry @WAJsal indeed this is what Ulema thinks and people protesting on roads are not supporting the version of these Ulema but indeed some blind & fooled love.

Irony.
It's heartbreaking to see extremism of both groups in this case. One is celebrating (it shouldn't be, yeah appreciate the justice but celebration with my point of view doesn't sound good) and on the other hand people are sabotaging the cities. Allah reham kare Pakistan pe.

Irony.
It's heartbreaking to see extremism of both groups in this case. One is celebrating (it shouldn't be, yeah appreciate the justice but celebration with my point of view doesn't sound good) and on the other hand people are sabotaging the cities. Allah reham kare Pakistan pe.

Aameen.... and PS, the timing of NS government is this regard creates an iota of doubt like NS do not want this country to rest some days without any protests. While viewing the security situation and our Op Zarb-E-Azb, should have delayed the execution for some time so the forces wouldn't have to be tangled inside as well and also such kind of ill timing will indeed encourage the anti Pakistan elements to damage us which is witnessed since last 2 days. I just wanted it to be postponed for sometime that we have bigger things to deal with.

15 Dirtiest Cities in the World

1. Port Harcourt, Nigeria
2. Luanda, Angola
3. Lome, Togo
4. Moscow, Russia
5. New Delhi, India
6. Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
7. Baghdad, Iraq
8. Mumbai, India

9. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
10. Port au Prince, Haiti
11. Mexico City, Mexico
12. Antananarivo, Madagascar
13. Dhaka, Bangladesh
14. Baku, Azerbaijan
15. Karachi, Pakistan

@The Eagle earlier we were talking about our youth and I said I partially agree but for most part they really need to get mature. So today on @Horus Bhae's Facebook page I commented and all the guys went crazy and called me secular, and judging me (just because I think qadri got what he deserved). Even few boys cursed me like the real curses. Said every nasty word they could say :-/ later he called me munafiq. :D

Ugh this is why stopped using Facebook.

Last edited:
Nor someone is willing to give it a start even as a step towards betterment in any subject, from education to society etc, which will ultimately result as fruitful. While looking at the faces in the democratic system, seems like we are paying for our sins.
Fruits of radicalizing a society, blame the rich industrialist, Dictators, Feudal/Politicians, and of course the people.
I have seen many parents today, relying completely on teachers and/or their molvi teachers to teach their kids everything. Noooooooooo you are parents and no one can teach a kid better than his/her parents. We are helping things out with collectively working.
well said.
Even few boys cursed me like the real curses. Said every nasty they could say :-/ later he called me munafiq. :D
And cursing and all is all acceptable in Islam, logic applied.

@The Eagle earlier we were talking about our youth and I said I partially agree but for most part they really need to get mature. So today on @Horus Bhae's Facebook page I commented and all the guys went crazy and called me secular, and judging me (just because I think qadri got what he deserved). Even few boys cursed me like the real curses. Said every nasty they could say :-/ later he called me munafiq. :D

Ugh this is why stopped using Facebook.

Such remarks are indicators of a mindset though they would have replied due to the passions. We have a problem here and I will try to draw a better picture here.

I am a Muslim Al'Hamdu'Lillah and always try to do as much as Islam said but I know I am not up-to the mark and sometimes may have done sins. In the mean time, if i urge one to pray five time Namaz while on other side I am not doing so, is indeed not fair nor I have any right to criticize or curse the one. Also, being a Muslim, i am very sure that I am not the one who can judge anyone whether to be a good or bad but indeed it is ALLAH that will decide for all of us though one thing I can do better is not to jump into such situations where I am not sure about results for the subject like in case of Qadri being right or not but surely he was a Muslim, died as a Muslim and who knows he is Shaheed or not as will be decided by ALLAH because it is not clear here what has been done was right or not but one thing for sure need to understand that the writ of law was challenged. Qadri was hanged due to his disobedience to the law not in account of killing a Munafiq, Qadyani, Jew, Christen or whatever we may call it and it is not mention anywhere but surely for proven guilty of murder of an official at that. I am a true Muslim and indeed every Muslim like me will never ever stand down in case of any threat to Islamic teachings but there are ways, better ways to do so despite breaking the law. The same rally's and protests could have been launched while Taseer's attempted the blasphemy or whatsoever but no one came out openly until Qadri hanged. Qadri died as a Muslim so we should not mock dead. When things are out of our hands and indeed we have no idea what is happening so it is better we should refrain ourselves while passing such remarks for anyone whether it is Qadri or Taseer. In case of Qadri intention or his illegal hanging and his act within Islamic boundaries, I will believe more the authentic and senior Ulema and their words. If we start to kill people like this only as per own observations alone then definitely there will be unfilled spaces and will cause more damage to society so it is better to bring such details in front of all people and justice so the issue could be redressed in detail and would be a lesson for all. To me, killing someone like this is not a best option in start but indeed bring out the detail to the public, let them learn and understand that what exactly the one has done which is not appropriate at all, what really happening behind those doors in high offices against Islam, how people misleading the people about blasphemy law and the untold truth rather to kill someone like this that the evidence vanished and details gone with the dead otherwise would have been fruitful for this society especially for Muslims.

The world has played its part here now justice will be served by ALLAH as well in this case indeed though we will have to wait till that day and the people involved from either sides will have their results as well.

Thread of the day:
Kashi as old as Indus Valley civilization

Comments of the day:

"India has to find something older than indus Valley civilization - their existence is at stake -"
Source: Kashi as old as Indus Valley civilization

"Oh gawd ..... Blacks in Africa already claim IVC now the focus is moving east and before you know it Mayanmarr will also claim "discoveries". All you need to get the gloss is hyphenate it "IVC" or "Harappa" and your on a winner."

Source: Kashi as old as Indus Valley civilization

@Atanz , what is behind this behavior? why, what...is there something special about IVC?

Back
Top Bottom