What's new

Pakistani Ambassador to USA Sherry Rehman to be charged with Blasphemy

Of course the abuse is quite troubling but I'd disagree from removing it due to two reasons :

(a) Expediency - There is a huge group (from Moderates to the Hardliners) who support this law so unless we want a backlash from the public I won't be in favor of removing it just like that; going cold turkey on it would be counter-productive. Instead the change should be from within the society whereby the civil society must take it upon themselves to bring in intellectuals (religious or otherwise) to try to educate the society into why, if ever, this law should be removed to begin with, so that when the time comes any Government would be willing to remove it to appease the will of the people. Right now - No one will ! No Government would be willing to commit political suicide by even touching this law.

(b) This is one of a hundred other laws that are used & abused to no end in Pakistan & so any change would be superficial or cosmetic at best. So I say forget the law & revamp both the judicial & police system instead; make them truly impartial, competent & corruption free by making them free from any political interference, by inducting educated & well trained individuals in its cadre & by having a stringent system of accountability looming over them.

Of course you are right. The law needs to be modified, right now it is just he said she said. The people will not make a fuss if it is modified but get riled up if they talk about removal, heck I doubt most would notice a modification. Make it so it is applicable to all and the accuser must have evidence to back up the accusation. More than just witnesses as we all know witnesses are faked all the time in Pakistan. It should also protect all faiths, it does not matter if the person worships a flying meatball no one should be able to abuse them. Fake accusations must be punished with harsh jail time to serve as a deterrent, ten years or so.

Your argument is with your fellow Muslim, Zarvan. I don't count, do I?

You are right, missed his post went straight to the last page. The point still stands and Zarvan is a known mullah of PDF.

A law is properly characterized as "black" when misused against its intent it becomes an instrument of oppression.

How can you logically claim that "no body can be killed for only saying he want to end this law" while also maintaining that Taseer was properly killed because when he called it "black" he was criticizing a law "based on the Quran and Sunnah"?
Sir abusing laws of Quran and Sunnah is complete another thing Sir he started abusing many times in his speeches Sherry didn't said anything like that

as we all know witnesses are faked all the time in Pakistan.
Very depressing and a characteristic also noted by the British colonial Administration, which discovered that defendants could often pull in a dozen cousins that would earnestly foul any oath if only it would clear their kinsman. As George Washington put it,

happily the Government of the United States gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance, requires only that they who live under its protection should demean themselves as good citizens, in giving it on all occasions their effectual support.

False witnesses arguably fail the "good citizen" test and when the majority of the populace acts that way GW didn't believe the republican form of government coud succeed - or that community should remain within the U.S. The early U.S. expelled many anti-republican "Tories" in its first years - probably a few more after the 1812 War as well.

Sir abusing laws of Quran and Sunnah is complete another thing Sir
I can't perceive the difference between criticizing a law and criticizing a law that somebody says might just possibly be justified by a special or obscure interpretation of a religious text. Perhaps Pakistanis, if they don't agree with me, possess some facility for understanding such differences that I lack.

Very depressing and a characteristic also noted by the British colonial Administration, which discovered that defendants could often pull in a dozen cousins that would earnestly foul any oath if only it would clear their kinsman. As George Washington put it,

happily the Government of the United States gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance, requires only that they who live under its protection should demean themselves as good citizens, in giving it on all occasions their effectual support.

False witnesses arguably fail the "good citizen" test and when the majority of the populace acts that way GW didn't believe the republican form of government coud succeed - or that community should remain within the U.S. The early U.S. expelled many anti-republican "Tories" in its first years - probably a few more after the 1812 War as well.

I can't perceive the difference between criticizing a law and criticizing a law that somebody says might just possibly be justified by a special or obscure interpretation of a religious text. Perhaps Pakistanis, if they don't agree with me, possess some facility for understanding such differences that I lack.

Yes but what makes these even more diabolical is that they can send people to prison or even death although no one has ever been executed for this.

The decision if any , made on a high profile diplomat will be noticed worldwide and will showcase the nation in a very bad manner and will be reflected in their outlook towards the nation and the nationalities, which is already happening.

Sadly the people responsible for all such decisions and moves are least concerned about the actions, repercussions, long term damages due to blinding over the cause.

a question to Pakistanis is this blashphemy law applicable only for Islam or every religion

i hate these stupid 18th century laws, we should have ditched them long time ago.

But Qadiri loves these Blasphemy laws, and clearly says in his video, anyone who is found to be involved into Blasphemy act, should be killed.

Now what?

a question to Pakistanis is this blashphemy law applicable only for Islam or every religion

Even for Muslims.
Did not you realize Salman Taseer's case details.

:eek: what? Charged with blasphemy for recommending changes in existing blasphemy law? Even more shocking is the fact that courts are entertaining such petitions...

The Judges only directed the CPO to follow the law. Judges didn't make the law. Sherry Rehman's political party has the power to amend such a law.

Sherry Rehman's political party has the power to amend such a law.
Yet discussing changing the law would itself be a violation of it so such power doesn't exist at the moment, not as long as the consequences of discussion are fatal.

:what: charged? who the idiot has used the word charged? the news was the court will take up the case filed by someone against her for hearing. Thats all.

nothing to prove against her

Yet discussing changing the law would itself be a violation of it so such power doesn't exist at the moment, not as long as the consequences of discussion are fatal.

The violation is up for discussion at the courts. A petition was filed by her, she has not been indicted or arrested. Remember where she works is Pakistani soil and can be arrested from DC too but that she hasn't been. She hasn't been arrested hence the usage of the word charged is flimsy at best.

There are many other ways to do that.

if change is not possible there is a big room for debating and stopping misuse of this law. if done that it will be a big achievement.'

With awarness there are some positive developments. Just last month one such case of miuses of this law came to light and was highlighted by the media.

Remember where she works is Pakistani soil and can be arrested from DC too but that she hasn't been.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/nation...rehman-charged-blasphemy-4.html#ixzz2IgJQezZ6

Contrary to popular belief, diplomatic missions do not enjoy full extraterritorial status and are not sovereign territory of the represented state. Rather, the premises of diplomatic missions remain under the jurisdiction of the host state while being afforded special privileges (such as immunity from most local laws) by the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations.

Back
Top Bottom