What's new

Pakistan UAVs News & Discussions

Still, I have always noticed that our UAVs lack endurance compared to similar offerings from other countries. We probably even use same power plants but still.
Yes exactly. This directly points towards aerodynamic design deficiencies which makes the following important:

Also there are clear signs of maturity of aerodynamic design. There are signs of aerodynamic optimization: Notice the 737-Max style main-wing tips (vertical stabilizers) and the 787 style canard wing-tips. This isn't just a scaled up Shahpar, but a scaled-up and refined Shahpar.
This probably means that Shahpar-II isn't much bigger than Shahpar-I (and is definitely smaller than Azm MALE) and yet has a significant advantage in endurance over the Shahpar-I (twice as much endurance).

Yes exactly. This directly points towards aerodynamic design deficiencies which makes the following important:

This probably means that Shahpar-II isn't much bigger than Shahpar-I (and is definitely smaller than Azm MALE) and yet has a significant advantage in endurance over the Shahpar-I (twice as much endurance).

Yes but still about 42% less than similar class Turkish TB2 and if it doesn’t carry similar payload (150Kg) then the difference is even more stark.

Yes but still about 42% less than similar class Turkish TB2 and if it doesn’t carry similar payload (150Kg) then the difference is even more stark.
I am reasonably sure that it will have comparable (probably larger) payload capacity but the lower endurance relative to TB2 is possibly due to:
1. Turkey's access to much more efficient aeroengines and fuels.
2. Better (more optimized) aerodynamic design of both the aircraft and the propeller.
3. Possible use of a variable pitch propeller by the TB2.
I can only speculate but I think those are the reasons.

If they're promoting it for export, then they've likely capped the range at 300 km to honour the MTCR. The domestic-use version could exceed that if they're using SATCOM. @JamD @Bilal.
Shahpar I has range
Data link Range (real time)250 km

so obviously the Shahpar II being marketed for export is without Satcom , hence 300km

I am reasonably sure that it will have comparable (probably larger) payload capacity but the lower endurance relative to TB2 is possibly due to:
1. Turkey's access to much more efficient aeroengines and fuels.
2. Better (more optimized) aerodynamic design of both the aircraft and the propeller.
3. Possible use of a variable pitch propeller by the TB2.
I can only speculate but I think those are the reasons.
IMO some these differences (e.g., efficient engines, fuels, etc) have a lot to do with WA and MTCR membership.

Which brings us back to this point...

We all remember how GIDS literally scratched off the Burraq's weaponization capability in 2018. It wouldn't surprise me if the issue there wasn't China, but rather, avoiding problems with US and EU states.

Likewise, I don't think we'd actually offer an AZM-sized UAV to the export market precisely for those reasons. Besides cost and risk control, the Shahpar-series may be something we're comfortable offering to the export market because it stays in a safe range and capability range. Basically show we're responsible enough to one day get access to better technologies, but for our domestic needs only.

1615311741186.png

We all remember how GIDS literally scratched off the Burraq's weaponization capability in 2018. It wouldn't surprise me if the issue there wasn't China, but rather, avoiding problems with US and EU states.
A more likely explanation, you're right.

Likewise, I don't think we'd actually offer an AZM-sized UAV to the export market precisely for those reasons. Besides cost and risk control, the Shahpar-series may be something we're comfortable offering to the export market because it stays in a safe range and capability range. Basically show we're responsible enough to one day get access to better technologies, but for our domestic needs only.
That Guy: If what you're saying is true, then this whole exporting UAVs thing sounds like a peacock dance to show that we are responsible let us into MTCR. We don't really expect to export UAVs that by all measures are inferior to other options available in the market, right? Maybe we are trying to sell them at a loss (because we can because state-owned organizations make them), and that's our USP.

A more likely explanation, you're right.

That Guy: If what you're saying is true, then this whole exporting UAVs thing sounds like a peacock dance to show that we are responsible let us into MTCR. We don't really expect to export UAVs that by all measures are inferior to other options available in the market, right? Maybe we are trying to sell them at a loss (because we can because state-owned organizations make them), and that's our USP.
Look, we are talking about a nation that takes pride in winning 5th-gen warfare and come up with cheesy music videos, ISPR meeting pro-wrestlers, and other zany stuff.

This ploy to get into the MTCR is totally in line with our brand -- in fact, from a "5G warfare" standpoint, it'd be a brilliant strategy.

So brilliant, I doubt it's something we're doing intentionally...

Interesting news. Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee of Pakistan Armed Forces General Nadeem Raza visited Turkey’s leading UCAV manufacturer Baykar along with a delegation from the Pakistan military. The delegation visited Baykar’s Research & Development and Production Centres. Seems like it is pretty much set in stone or the model wouldn't be gifted.

Attachments

• Exp1ehrXMAco3L6.jpg
    Exp1ehrXMAco3L6.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Exp1ehtWYAYWsfa.jpg
    Exp1ehtWYAYWsfa.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 72
Interesting news. Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee of Pakistan Armed Forces General Nadeem Raza visited Turkey’s leading UCAV manufacturer Baykar along with a delegation from the Pakistan military. The delegation visited Baykar’s Research & Development and Production Centres. Seems like it is pretty much set in stone or the model wouldn't be gifted.

Which drone model was gifted?

Back
Top Bottom