What's new

Pakistan-Turkey 4 Milgem Ada Class Corvettes Contract - Construction started

The three Pakistan Navy Milgems are J-class frigates. Fourth Ship will be even different. We are not buying the Milgem corvettes in configuration which are operational in Turkish Navy.

Yeah Air Force and Navy are slowly moving towards enhanced indigenization and development of domestically tailored weapon systems and support equipment, but our industrial and economic capability is very limited. We have barely managed to keep Jf17 project on track and are still struggling to evolve it into a project of our expectations. All because the economic support is limited. As long as the economic support is limited, all our initiatives of local defense production will end up in jeopardy.
The economic support can come from industrial capability, but it needs investment to work. That's basically the biggest reason why I recommend attaching offsets to our contracts moving forward, so that we get some money into these industries. If not, then hold-off on imports entirely, and divert that money to dual-use inputs.

This is a risky strategy because India is moving ahead, but I think of it this way:

Would you rather keep taking one step at a time and remain 2 steps behind India? Or would you take 2 steps back, and try leapfrogging 4-6+ steps and catch up to India? If we invest $500 m in developing ship grade steel at home, we'd save $1-2 bn in ForEx for future ships, and possibly export $1-2 bn in said steel.

It's a $2-4 bn gain, and we'd be able to put it towards more advanced systems (by investing in R&D, high-tech sectors, etc, i.e., help both the economy, generate ForEx and domestic revenue, and make it easier to buy arms locally).

Last edited:
The economic support can come from industrial capability, but it needs investment to work. That's basically the biggest reason why I recommend attaching offsets to our contracts moving forward, so that we get some money into these industries. If not, then hold-off on imports entirely, and divert that money to dual-use inputs.

This is a risky strategy because India is moving ahead, but I think of it this way:

Would you rather keep taking one step at a time and remain 2 steps behind India? Or would you take 2 steps back, and try leapfrogging 4-6+ steps and catch up to India? If we invest $500 m in developing ship grade steel at home, we'd save $1-2 bn in ForEx for future ships, and possibly export $1-2 bn in said steel. It's a $2-4 bn gain, and we'd be able to put it towards more advanced systems.

Pakistan, Turkey may be following in the footsteps of. Turkey produces its own steel, send out a Millux in Finland, was buying after a certain proccesor and was dependent. After Turkey's Army Pension Fund (OYAK), bought Miilux Company and set up factories in Turkey with technology transfer. Those, foreign dependency in this area is over. But as I said before, money and dedication is required for this. There are similar companies in Ukraine or other Eastern European countries, I think Pakistan should take a look

https://www.miilux.fi/en/miilux-partnering-with-oyak-steel-hardening-capacity-to-be-doubled/

Last edited:
Pakistan, Turkey may be following in the footsteps of. Turkey produces its own steel, send out a Millux in Finland, was buying after a certain proccesor and was dependent. After Turkey's Army Pension Fund (OYAK), bought Millux Company and set up factories in Turkey with technology transfer. Those, foreign dependency in this area is over. But as I said before, money and dedication is required for this. There are similar companies in Ukraine or other Eastern European countries, I think Pakistan should take a look

https://www.miilux.fi/en/miilux-partnering-with-oyak-steel-hardening-capacity-to-be-doubled/
You're right.

Pakistan, Turkey may be following in the footsteps of. Turkey produces its own steel, send out a Millux in Finland, was buying after a certain proccesor and was dependent. After Turkey's Army Pension Fund (OYAK), bought Miilux Company and set up factories in Turkey with technology transfer. Those, foreign dependency in this area is over. But as I said before, money and dedication is required for this. There are similar companies in Ukraine or other Eastern European countries, I think Pakistan should take a look

I swear to God this was the smartest move we ever did for all this time. We should keep doing these kind of moves when the time is right.

Last edited:
AEA319EC-9601-4371-A087-A250B7729534.jpeg

dont hold on my account buddy
i m not talking about jinnah class which we will see in 2028
m talking about milgem which is a corvette with a price of frigate

Sir capabilities wise and as per designation reported on net is frigate for Turkish ships being manufactured for PN. As per cost the capabilities of the coming ships are far better than any existing platforms of PN both in case of offensive and defensive capabilities. Other factor which shall be much important in future is enhanced stealth structure which shall ensure that enemy shall be unable to target them from longer ranges.
So far as per budget the most capable SAM available to PN is HQ16 and if it's latest version is acquired the range shall be up to 70 KM+ with enhanced capabilities to counter Brahmos like CMs along with other superior defensive gadgets. In future if Chinese are able to develop HQ9 lighter version we may be able to arm them with LRSAMs as well as Turkish options shall also be there in Medium term.

In terms of defence for anti ship missiles more than 50-60 km is not needed because of the curvature of the earth,instead aktif seeker of missile is more important which do not need radar illumunation of for all the way to hit target so you can engage more anti ship missiles simultaneously thats whar evolved sea sparrow block 2 have tihis capabilty,if its not you have vulnurable to multiple subsonic missiles as well,milgem was tested against on coast of south africa against 3 subsonic drones smultaneously and hit all of them that was the first case in turkish navys history,your ships will have aselsan areas system electronic attack capabilty for jamming of incoming missiles so pak ships gains tree layer defence HQ16 long range gökdeniz short range electronic attack-jamming the last one there is no fourth layer in any ship on the world

Ok so what’s the latest ?

steel cut of keel laid ?

MiiluxOY is producing not only high grade civilian steel but also steel armour protection solutions for mostly land vehicles (Kirpi-2, Cobra-2, Vuran, IFV). A new steel armour facility is being constructed in Manisa. Before Oyak purchased Miilux, Erdemir, the biggest steel manufacturing facility of Oyak group, was providing warship hull steel (DH-36 steel) solutions for Milgem. They are working on HY-80/100 ferromagnetic steel alloy solutions for national submarine program Milden. U-214TN constructed of German HY-80 steels.

wasn't Oyak trying to buy British steel too ?

OYAK was choosed by British government. When they started negotiations, OYAK realised that they will lose more than planned in order to re-activate a giant facility so they left the negotiations.

Confirmed for Turkish Ships?

In terms of defence for anti ship missiles more than 50-60 km is not needed because of the curvature of the earth,instead aktif seeker of missile is more important which do not need radar illumunation of for all the way to hit target so you can engage more anti ship missiles simultaneously thats whar evolved sea sparrow block 2 have tihis capabilty,if its not you have vulnurable to multiple subsonic missiles as well,milgem was tested against on coast of south africa against 3 subsonic drones smultaneously and hit all of them that was the first case in turkish navys history,your ships will have aselsan areas system electronic attack capabilty for jamming of incoming missiles so pak ships gains tree layer defence HQ16 long range gökdeniz short range electronic attack-jamming the last one there is no fourth layer in any ship on the world
What about for Supersonic Brahmos?

Back
Top Bottom