What's new

Pakistan-Turkey 4 Milgem Ada Class Corvettes Contract - Construction started

The FL-3000N and RAM were both on offer (RAM via Germany), but the PN has clearly opted for a gun-based CIWS across both the MILGEM and the 054A/P. So it's clearly a technical decision more so than political.
which is a pattern, if RAM was available it should have been the choice

which is a pattern, if RAM was available it should have been the choice
RAM has its appeal, but bear in mind, you're now dealing with lots of little missiles and their individual shelf-life. If in 5-10 years you need to refresh your stocks and the US or EU embargo you, you're done. It's also an issue of high cost, which applies to the FL-3000N as well (vs. other options).

Looks like the Jinnah Class is stepping away from guided Western munitions where possible, even though fancy kits were on offer from MBDA and Leonardo.

RAM has its appeal, but bear in mind, you're now dealing with lots of little missiles and their individual shelf-life. If in 5-10 years you need to refresh your stocks and the US or EU embargo you, you're done. It's also an issue of high cost, which applies to the FL-3000N as well (vs. other options).

Looks like the Jinnah Class is stepping away from guided Western munitions where possible, even though fancy kits were on offer from MBDA and Leonardo.
Which really mean that ibdigentor joint venture must be sought..
As all ships even the smaller one will need a RAM rather than gun based CIWS

Which really mean that ibdigentor joint venture must be sought..
As all ships even the smaller one will need a RAM rather than gun based CIWS
It may have to do with economy of scale and lack of finding. I do however wonder that if we get our teeth into HOBS missiles whether this could be utilized for a generalized defensive role with local manufacturing.
A

Pn harpoons can still be on some western platform, Turkish and danish platform are only options

Lastly not sure if newer agosta -90 are capable of sub launch harpoon but older a-70 had that capability

Pn has almost 100 plus harpoons and they would need a platform to continue their deployment till they run out of life or are used in training

Two ships are coming from Damen, I think.
Why not install these on those ships.

US CIWS is only 20mm which is effective against regular sized, subsonic anti-ship missiles. But what about the Brahmos? It's huge and supersonic. It will not be stopped by the 20mm which will mean that even after a successful hit, the debris will be kinetic enough and have enough mass to damage the ship.

Now, Turkey has a weapon which is a copy of the millenium gun, something like 35mm, if memory serves me right. It has the mass and kinetics to stop a supersonic heavy missile much better. If this can be coupled with a Turkic close-in SAM, you have a winner.

Problem with Chinese equipment, now they are exhorbitantly priced, often unreliable operationally.

If only Pak would develop its own SAM systems. PN, PA and PAF could have all benefited.

US CIWS is only 20mm which is effective against regular sized, subsonic anti-ship missiles. But what about the Brahmos? It's huge and supersonic. It will not be stopped by the 20mm which will mean that even after a successful hit, the debris will be kinetic enough and have enough mass to damage the ship.

Now, Turkey has a weapon which is a copy of the millenium gun, something like 35mm, if memory serves me right. It has the mass and kinetics to stop a supersonic heavy missile much better. If this can be coupled with a Turkic close-in SAM, you have a winner.

Problem with Chinese equipment, now they are exhorbitantly priced, often unreliable operationally.

If only Pak would develop its own SAM systems. PN, PA and PAF could have all benefited.

I want to add some info,
1) You are talking about Korkut-D - Gökdeniz And yes it is 35 mm. And it is not a copy it is original Turkish Design.
2)Korkut-D-Gökdeniz has special ammunition called ''Atom'' And Turkish defence Industry is really proud of this new ammunation because they say ATOM dont just tear to pieces... it creates a ''special barriel'' against cruise missiles And destroy them with this way. Imagine like cruise missiles will hit a wall of special 35mm ammunition. And thanks to that warships will be protected.

So it would be a good solution against Brahmos but we shouldnt forget, it is the last Defence of warships.

There is no harm in buying off a design from the Europeans. I believe that is what happened. Its a Millenium Gun CIWS

There is no harm in buying off a design from the Europeans. I believe that is what happened. Its a Millenium Gun CIWS

Of course there is no harm, for example we get some tect transfer about T-129 from İtaly, (which it wasnt a secret) but as far as I know Gökdeniz and Korkut (land version) is original Turkish design. Are you Saying this ''copy'' thing just because they both 35mm? Or do you have any other info?

Of course there is no harm, for example we get some tect transfer about T-129 from İtaly, (which it wasnt a secret) but as far as I know Gökdeniz and Korkut (land version) is original Turkish design. Are you Saying this ''copy'' thing just because they both 35mm? Or do you have any other info?

The specs (not only just calibre) are very similar.

Back
Top Bottom