What's new

Pakistan Tourism: Information Desk

Hi @krash
Just hope you are active these days and i can get a response, it might be a time sensitive piece of info that i need.

Fairy Meadows, any idea how much time it takes these days to reach Fairy Meadows from Chilas and how is the route?
Need to travel next week and since i am the one organizing the trip for this group of friends of mine, though its better to get some necessary info in time. (It is the same trip we had to cancel two years back, not sure if we talked about that or not)

Plus time, the road to Babusar was ready last summer and they were working on Babusar-Chilas. Any idea if that is ready now?

Asking you since i though you might have visited recently.

Only other guy i can think of is @WAJsal ,,,,, ANYTHING now that you are back? :)

Last edited:
Plus time, the road to Babusar was ready last summer and they were working on Babusar-Chilas. Any idea if that is ready now?
If it isn't ready by now i will commit suicide :cheesy:, aur kitna time lagaein gey. But don't worry it shouldn't be a big problem if it isn't done yet most of it is definitely complete.
Fairy Meadows, any idea how much time it takes these days to reach Fairy Meadows from Chilas and how is the route?
I remember it taking us a lot of time but that was a long time ago, i hope this helps:
https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/t/...trip-to-fairy-meadows-from-islamabad/232136/4

Hi @krash
Just hope you are active these days and i can get a response, it might be a time sensitive piece of info that i need.

Need to travel next week and since i am the one organizing the trip for this group of friends of mine, though its better to get some necessary info in time. (It is the same trip we had to cancel two years back, not sure if we talked about that or not)

Asking you since i though you might have visited recently.

Only other guy i can think of is @WAJsal ,,,,, ANYTHING now that you are back? :)

I remember. And I passed through there last Oct, I got you.

Since you're taking the Babusar pass you wouldn't be hitting Chillas (you would be in Chillas district though, as soon as you pass the police post on top of Babusar), you'll join the KKH a bit north of Chillas (which is ok since Chillas is pretty "meh..."). Babusar to Raikot bridge will take you 1.5-3 hrs depending on how you drive. From Raikot (the Shangrila Hotel's parking lot) you'll take a 30-45 min jeep ride to the jeep point from where you'll start your trek to Fairy Meadows. The trek can be anywhere from 4-6 hrs depending on how hard you push (don't listen to the locals when they say it's an hour). Take the trek slow, enjoy it but don't stop too often. The only variable you'll have would be that it is not recommended to start the trek mid day since at this time of the year the first half of the trek would be unbearably hot, if you have clear skies (you'll see as soon as you come down Babusar). The second half is pleasant since by then you've climbed high enough from the scorched valley. So try to reach Raikot early in the morning or you'll have to wait till evening time before you start and it will be just time wasted sitting in an ok-ish hotel in the middle of nothing spectacular.

The road from Babusar till you hit the KKH is perfect, except for any landslides you encounter. The road after that till Raikot bridge is crappy but very doable. You'll get potholes, some rough patches, some old road that has fared better and some new patches which will be perfect. This part is still the KKH from the 90s and the early 2000s; doable but annoying.

I'll be checking here regularly in case you have any more questions. And I'll try to find some of my pictures to get you a better idea.

If it isn't ready by now i will commit suicide :cheesy:, aur kitna time lagaein gey. But don't worry it shouldn't be a big problem if it isn't done yet most of it is definitely complete.

Bratharaan, what are we talking about? The Babusar to KKH stretch was built before they built the Lulusar to Babusar part :D. In fact I clearly remember as early as 2014 when I drove on dirt from Lulusar till right at the top of Babusar. Then from the Police post on top of the pass till the KKH it was all paved. Could we be talking about the re-carpeting?

Last edited:
@krash noori top, dudi pat, ansoo, sat sar ........ what should be the ideal age of kids to take them there?

@Arsalan @WAJsal Check this. I took these in June of 2014. They're all from the same trip.

Passing Lulusar,
IMGP0272_zpsztbmneiw.jpg

Between Lulusar and Babusar,

IMGP0287_zps1kxvgjom.jpg
IMGP0290_zpsxojxtscl.jpg
IMGP0316_zpsnoi3v9jv.jpg

Took this looking back towards Lulusar while climbing up the Babusar pass. Notice that it was all just a dirt track.

IMGP0342_zps8uzorsjr.jpg

And then below is what you saw on the other side (Gilgit-Baltistan) from the top of Babusar. Newly carpeted, still without road markings and signs. It was like this till you hit the KKH.

IMGP0367_zps3twu4607.jpg
IMGP0380_zpsrerhyzkk.jpg
IMGP0383_zpsnvkwphjo.jpg
IMGP0390_zpscnfrv5ve.jpg

IMGP0393_zpszp0lyuon.jpg

Last edited:
And this is what the stretch from Babusar to KKH looks like today, well Oct 2017. Notice that now all the road markings and signs are there. And also notice that its pretty good.

Coming down the Babusar Pass on the Gilgit-Baltistan side,

DSC_0585_zpskwpdi9o9.jpg

Took these on the way back, after having left the KKH behind, going towards Babusar,

DSC_0622_zpsmvxdbxxa.jpg
DSC_0623_zps2lagnimx.jpg

How things have changed. Check this bridge on the dirt track back in 2014,

IMGP0319_zps7k2diaeu.jpg

Same bridge in 2017 but no dirt track,

DSC_0560_zps5guz1jxj.jpg

And the Babusar Pass now,

DSC_0581_zpsxmyqnkl1.jpg

Its too easy to travel there now.

And btw, below is how the stretch after hitting the KKH and then on to Raikot will mostly look like (even though this pic is from 2014. Couldn't find one from last year). Bumpy, well trodden, aged but still very doable.

IMGP0412_zpsrjoxahy8.jpg

When you hit the KKH you'll find yourself at a pretty fancy looking intersection sort of a thing, don't be fooled by it. As soon as you turn right and pass it reality will welcome you. Then the road will oscillate between the above picture, patches that are barely gravel tracks and then some which were re-carpeted recently. In any case, you'll be fine and you'll have a blast.

@krash noori top, dudi pat, ansoo, sat sar ........ what should be the ideal age of kids to take them there?

It really depends how much they are into things like these. I wouldn't really take them on any trek that was anything more than elementary (e.g. Ayubia National Park, Margala Hills, Mushkpuri Top) until they were at least 15-16. If at that time you think they can handle the physical and mental exertion then by all means. I would however still start them small and then gradually increase it. One year, take them on a trek from Naran to Saif-ul-Maluk or from Jagran to the "Jagran Glacier" (just perennial snow but a lot of it), for example. It doesn't matter if they fail, as long as they give it a shot. I wouldn't push them at all, let them see if they like it. And if they get hooked (and this is the age when kids usually get hooked to their true interests) then they'll have a life long worth of opportunities to pursue it further. TBH, all the treks that you've mentioned aren't technical at all, they are just outdoor walks over gravel and grass on a gradually inclined plane, and yet a majority of our average people find them very difficult because they aren't even used to walking to their neighbours'. Plus it's not for everyone, I've been taught that the hard way way too many times for my liking.

Last edited:
(which is ok since Chillas is pretty "meh...")
It is hell...

Bratharaan, what are we talking about? The Babusar to KKH stretch was built before they built the Lulusar to Babusar part :D. In fact I clearly remember as early as 2014 when I drove on dirt from Lulusar till right at the top of Babusar. Then from the Police post on top of the pass till the KKH it was all paved. Could we be talking about the re-carpeting?
I guess we were talking about the babusar route itself.

It really depends how much they are into things like these. I wouldn't really take them on any trek that was anything more than elementary (e.g. Ayubia National Park, Margala Hills, Mushkpuri Top) until they were at least 15-16. If at that time you think they can handle the physical and mental exertion then by all means. I would however still start them small and then gradually increase it. One year, take them on a trek from Naran to Saif-ul-Maluk or from Jagran to the "Jagran Glacier" (just perennial snow but a lot of it), for example. It doesn't matter if they fail, as long as they give it a shot. I wouldn't push them at all, let them see if they like it. And if they get hooked (and this is the age when kids usually get hooked to their true interests) then they'll have a life long worth of opportunities to pursue it further. TBH, all the treks that you've mentioned aren't technical at all, they are just outdoor walks over gravel and grass on a gradually inclined plane, and yet a majority of our average people find them very difficult because they aren't even used to walking to their neighbours'. Plus it's not for everyone, I've been taught that the hard way way too many times for my liking.

I have started taking them to places where they can hike trek enjoy the snow, go up little hills climbing with me, but the frequency of it is twice a year at max ...... 15-16 years is a long way to go yet ..... Insha ALLAH someday.

Thanks for the tips and advice.

And this is what the stretch from Babusar to KKH looks like today, well Oct 2017. Notice that now all the road markings and signs are there. And also notice that its pretty good.

Coming down the Babusar Pass on the Gilgit-Baltistan side,

DSC_0585_zpskwpdi9o9.jpg

Took these on the way back, after having left the KKH behind, going towards Babusar,

DSC_0622_zpsmvxdbxxa.jpg
DSC_0623_zps2lagnimx.jpg

How things have changed. Check this bridge on the dirt track back in 2014,

IMGP0319_zps7k2diaeu.jpg

Same bridge in 2017 but no dirt track,

DSC_0560_zps5guz1jxj.jpg

And the Babusar Pass now,

DSC_0581_zpsxmyqnkl1.jpg

Its too easy to travel there now.

And btw, below is how the stretch after hitting the KKH and then on to Raikot will mostly look like (even though this pic is from 2014. Couldn't find one from last year). Bumpy, well trodden, aged but still very doable.

IMGP0412_zpsrjoxahy8.jpg

When you hit the KKH you'll find yourself at a pretty fancy looking intersection sort of a thing, don't be fooled by it. As soon as you turn right and pass it reality will welcome you. Then the road will oscillate between the above picture, patches that are barely gravel tracks and then some which were re-carpeted recently. In any case, you'll be fine and you'll have a blast.

PERFECT!!
Thanks man, that was really helpful and that road to babusar, inst it amazing now??? You can go there on a 660cc, lolz! No troubles at all!

Anyway, we opted for an option that we have NEVER chosen before! Going with a tour organizer now. It was a group of 8, 9 friends so we were never planning to go in our own cars since half the fun is actually traveling to the spot, to do it together, the idea was to hire an APV or Hiace high Roof to take us to Chillas and then to Raikot and jeeps from there. Not really sensitive about accommodations since we are all university friends and hostel fellows so.... well, would have stayed anywhere. Found that food was a bit of a problem, eps in Naran with quality being not so good so were going to take our own utensils, enough for may be a karahi or two and BBQ!!

NOW, we are doing it all with a tour organizer who will do this all for us, car, food, accommodation, jeeps, hut at fairy meadow, everything. One of our friends have used him with his office trip in the past and recommended so we decided to give it a try. Not really have much to manage now.

Hein :o: may be it was a patch being re-worked then. Was there last summer (Babusar). Rood to Babusar was perfect and then there were some heavy machinery at the top and some work going on a track that look pretty bad when you looked down toward Chillas. I guess it must be some repair work then. Good to know that road to KKH is fine now and no, we don't plan to stay in Chilas. The organizer was giving us a night in Chilas but i have asked them to move that to somewhere around Raikot so we can began our journey to Fairy Meadows early morning. All of us are in pretty bad shape really and smoke too so may need some extra time to get there, lolz!

It is hell...

Can't object to that.

I guess we were talking about the babusar route itself.

Ah, makes sense. That bit was complete by mid 2016.

I have started taking them to places where they can hike trek enjoy the snow, go up little hills climbing with me, but the frequency of it is twice a year at max ...... 15-16 years is a long way to go yet ..... Insha ALLAH someday.

Thanks for the tips and advice.

Insha' Allah. And anytime brother.

That's brilliant. And twice a year is good, we don't want to wear them or the feeling out.

PERFECT!!
Thanks man, that was really helpful and that road to babusar, inst it amazing now??? You can go there on a 660cc, lolz! No troubles at all!

Anytime :tup: and Lol yeah. I remember when the carpeting beyond Naran began. Till 2011 it was only paved till Jalkhad which only had 2-3 tents and a hut. You had to off-road to get till Lulusar. But man that fresh tarmac without a bump anywhere till Jalkhad, you could cruise seamlessly at 100kph. That stretch has deteriorated quite a bit since then but its still decent.

Took this on the way to Lulusar in July 2010. The mud was at times half way to my knees. Can't even recognise it now.

39188_459828883318_7707857_n_zpscfezgp9g.jpg

Anyway, we opted for an option that we have NEVER chosen before! Going with a tour organizer now. It was a group of 8, 9 friends so we were never planning to go in our own cars since half the fun is actually traveling to the spot, to do it together, the idea was to hire an APV or Hiace high Roof to take us to Chillas and then to Raikot and jeeps from there. Not really sensitive about accommodations since we are all university friends and hostel fellows so.... well, would have stayed anywhere. Found that food was a bit of a problem, eps in Naran with quality being not so good so were going to take our own utensils, enough for may be a karahi or two and BBQ!!

NOW, we are doing it all with a tour organizer who will do this all for us, car, food, accommodation, jeeps, hut at fairy meadow, everything. One of our friends have used him with his office trip in the past and recommended so we decided to give it a try. Not really have much to manage now.

Not a bad idea. A group that big on a long journey like this becomes a headache for a single guy to handle, all you need is that one hypersensitive guy/girl. Oh the mistakes I've made, never took a group that big though.

And try this; eat at the worst looking dhabbas, they usually have the tastiest food, plus its cheap. This goes pretty much for all of our North. Pretty sure you already knew this.

Hein :o: may be it was a patch being re-worked then. Was there last summer (Babusar). Rood to Babusar was perfect and then there were some heavy machinery at the top and some work going on a track that look pretty bad when you looked down toward Chillas. I guess it must be some repair work then. Good to know that road to KKH is fine now and no, we don't plan to stay in Chilas.

Yeah probably. The whole length from Babusar till the KKH takes quite a beating all year round. The bit down the pass gets quite a lot of snow in the winter and then the stretch after that receives rock and land slides all too frequently. I don't think I've ever passed there without passing over a fresh landslide, last time I counted four on my way north and then on my way back was stuck behind one that was reportedly 2 hrs old.

The organizer was giving us a night in Chilas but i have asked them to move that to somewhere around Raikot so we can began our journey to Fairy Meadows early morning.

Good thinking. You'll be staying at the Shangrila Hotel, nothing else there.

All of us are in pretty bad shape really and smoke too so may need some extra time to get there, lolz!

Hahaha. Keep some quick energy snacks with you guys then :p

Last edited:
Good thinking. You'll be staying at the Shangrila Hotel, nothing else there.
Leaving tonight. Shangrila had no free rooms so will be moving further up the road to Jaglot and stay there for the night. Wont make a fuss about whatever we get there, its just one night and with friends together, i think we will enjoy that too!

Hahaha. Keep some quick energy snacks with you guys then :p
Yup, will be carrying cigs :P
Will keep some chocolates. Any other suggestions? We will be leaving tonight around 10, i am about to leave for Lahore.

Leaving tonight. Shangrila had no free rooms so will be moving further up the road to Jaglot and stay there for the night. Wont make a fuss about whatever we get there, its just one night and with friends together, i think we will enjoy that too!

Not too bad. Would just need to wake up even earlier to make up for the drive to Raikhot. BTW right besides Jaghlot is the Bunji cantonment area. If you know someone in the army they could get you some pretty nice rooms.

Yup, will be carrying cigs :P
Will keep some chocolates. Any other suggestions? We will be leaving tonight around 10, i am about to leave for Lahore.

Don't smoke, at least on the trek :p and have a blast!

Not too bad. Would just need to wake up even earlier to make up for the drive to Raikhot. BTW right besides Jaghlot is the Bunji cantonment area. If you know someone in the army they could get you some pretty nice rooms.

Don't smoke, at least on the trek :p and have a blast!

:smitten::smitten::smitten::yahoo:
DSCN1789.JPG

Nicely done, sir. I was wondering today if you'd gotten back yet. How was it?
How was it? Cannot explain in words dear. NangaParbat have always been a fascination, one of the three places i wanted to see in my life! I was speechless! Just sat there and gazed upon its beauty for 2 - 3 hours straight upon reaching the meadows. AMAZING!!

Since this thread was meant to share travel experiences and serve as a travel guide, will share detailed experience later.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom