What's new

Pakistan Tourism: Information Desk

Neelum is the place to go, it is the jewel in all of Kashmir. Bagh, Leepa, Kotli, etc. can always come later on.

I've posted before on Neelum. If you have questions which I didn't cover in the two posts below, let me know.

https://defence.pk/threads/18-reaso...-least-once-in-your-life.430859/#post-8316434

https://defence.pk/threads/18-reaso...-least-once-in-your-life.430859/#post-8417343
https://defence.pk/threads/18-reaso...-least-once-in-your-life.430859/#post-8417343

Thank you ................. from the looks of it God willing I will have to wait another 4 years before I manage to visit Neelum and Arang Kel, my younger is two right now and all that trekking to reach that heaven with other two being seven years and four years does not seem possible. :(

ps: You just need to marry a travel-nut like yourself, trust me.

Trust me they all become the same after marriage ...................... they are the worst enemies of your friends, the very first casualty are your friends in this war of love.:D

That sucks but you should've still gone, IMO. Too many times have I faced the same and never have I backed out of a trip, never have I regretted doing so either. Quite a few times I've even ended up going alone, which has always been awesome.

ps: You just need to marry a travel-nut like yourself, trust me.
Well it was actually my idea that two or three of us wont be that much fun but yes you are right and we also knew that it would still be better then dropping it all together!

As for your future advice the choice have been made and it seem to be fulfilling the "requirement" :lol:. Not sure if it will be upto that Fairy Meadows and Deosai mark but Kashmirs and Swats are covered. :lol:
P.S: You think it would be fine traveling to the places i mentioned, like fairy meadows and deosai with family? Fairy Meadows seem do able now as per the information i collected planing this last trip (that got canceled)

Thank you ................. from the looks of it God willing I will have to wait another 4 years before I manage to visit Neelum and Arang Kel, my younger is two right now and all that trekking to reach that heaven with other two being seven years and four years does not seem possible. :(

Trust me they all become the same after marriage ...................... they are the worst enemies of your friends, the very first casualty are your friends in this war of love.:D
Neelum wont require any trekking as far as i know. It is accessible by car and you can just drive there. It will be near by places that you may want to visit which require some trekking but you can always drop that. The valley itself is a nice place!

Anytime :tup:

I concur with Arsalan. The trip that those posts were about has only the Arang Kel trek in it since Shumais wanted to see it. Otherwise it's very tame (although the Arang Kel trek is super tame as well). Everywhere else you reach by car/jeep. You can easily drop Arang Kel and still have a very spectacular family trip.

I got some pretty insane treks as well, if someone is interested.

Haha true. But families can be pretty adventurous too. I got this bug from my travel-junky parents.

As for your future advice the choice have been made and it seem to be fulfilling the "requirement" :lol:. Not sure if it will be upto that Fairy Meadows and Deosai mark but Kashmirs and Swats are covered. :lol:

Masha' Allah :tup: If my mom can do it, our bhabi can too!

P.S: You think it would be fine traveling to the places i mentioned, like fairy meadows and deosai with family? Fairy Meadows seem do able now as per the information i collected planing this last trip (that got canceled)

Yes of course. You shouldn't face any problems. I've met a couple of foreign 'regular women' soloing on the Fairy Meadows track. Families on the other hand are a regular occurrence. And don't worry about the length of the trek either, there are mules available for hire on the way. Deosai is even easier, the jeep will take you all the way and then you get purpose-built camp sites for families once there (I've heard reports of some hotels having been built since my last visit there, don't know how they are though).

Gilgit-Baltistan is very hospitable to families. It's usually the lodging which at times can be lacking in some of the smaller towns and villages, with regards to a typical Pakistani family's standards. But then I've had the pleasure of climbing with women who slept on rocks, climbed through ice-fields and carried their own loads.

1074552_615718358501006_1714397252_o.jpg

Nice thread, i will need the info here and questions coming up to plan my trip. :D

And yes the article was a good one. Have been to the temple as well and it is a must visit if someone is into the archeology.

Hi sir this is quoted from that archaeology thread ..................... I have always wanted to visit those sites in Taxila but could not figure out the directions (call it my incompetence), as soon as I reach the Taxila museum gate I fail to gather any clue which direction should be followed to reach these sites. Plus that Taxila museum it does not seem to be open for general public? Once I tried they did not let me take my car inside and park there. I would appreciate if you could help me with the directions .............. I think this is one of those over the weekend trips I can make with my family.

Hi guys, long time reader and viewer. First time poster. Salam everyone!

Guys, I've lived in Lahore almost my entire life. My mother, however, spent her childhood in Balochistan and her stories about it have always made it seem like a land of beauty and mystery. Based on what I've witnessed here on this forum, that seems to be true. I yearn to visit Balochistan but am a little unsure about how safe it is etc. etc. I'd greatly appreciate any pointers I could get from you guys. Thanks.

Hi sir this is quoted from that archaeology thread ..................... I have always wanted to visit those sites in Taxila but could not figure out the directions (call it my incompetence), as soon as I reach the Taxila museum gate I fail to gather any clue which direction should be followed to reach these sites. Plus that Taxila museum it does not seem to be open for general public? Once I tried they did not let me take my car inside and park there. I would appreciate if you could help me with the directions .............. I think this is one of those over the weekend trips I can make with my family.
First things first sir, the taxila museum IS for general public and it is open to all. No worries about that. However parking is not allowed inside the museum. I think this is why you had some trouble. There is this museum parking outside the boundary fence, right in front of the Museum. When you are on Khanpur road going towards the museum the Museum gate will come on your right hand side (i am assuming that you are going there from South side (Pindi/Islamabad) and not coming from north ( Haripur/Abbotabad ) while the parking is on the left hand side, across the road. It is completely secure so no need to worry about it.

Things to see:
Obviously, you will want to visit those halls with all the ancient Gandhara civilizations relics on display. If you are with family chances are a guide will approach you himself and show you the two three smaller locked rooms as well (coins and other such things in them). I wont go into details, you can see that all for yourself. However one thing most people miss are the airy laws with ages old tress providing an excellent relief from sun. Do visit those lawns on the back side of Museum (you will normally get out of the halls from the back door so you will be there anyway). Just like most of our things those are not well maintained either but i do love that tree cover and airy space.

Archaeology Sites: Taxila is full of such sites but there are two or three important places that you need to visit when on tour. Once you have been there, you can say you have seen all of taxila. :) I will try to cover those three and give you simplified directions to get there (they really are simple for me as i spent 26 years of my 30 year life in that place :P so if any confusions please do let me know)

Dharmarajika Stupa:
328975896_72c8e18a7a.jpg

This one is just about 10 min drive from the Museum. I am assuming that you know you way to the Museum. To go to the Museum you take the Khanpur road from GT road right after the Margalla hills. That road passes in front of HIT and gets you to Taxila Museum in about 15 min maximum. Right in front of the museum gate you will see a road that goes on your right hand side from that Khanpur road that you originally came from. Take that road, and just in a minute or so you will come at a fork. Take the left hand side road and drive for about 5 minutes and you will come to the stupa site on your left hand side. You won’t miss it because there is a board mentioning it (blue color board). Take the small cement track to your left, park somewhere in shadow and walk to the site (just a few meters)
Dharmarajika_stupa,Taxila.jpg

It is an amazing place, sits on a mound and there are some huge tress on one side where you can have a nice family picnic. (it is quite an airy place)
Map
Map 1.jpg

Sirkap Excavations:
This was the main city in the region at that time and is a must visit when you are on a tour to archeological sites in Taxila. Luckily, this one again is not more then 10 minutes drive from Museum. Direction, simple again!!
Remember that Khanpur road you took from the GT road to reach the Musems? (the one in Yellow above) just go past the Museum and keep going. Right after the museum you will come to the handicrafts market. Shops on you right hand side displaying Taxila's famous hand made marble and stone pieces. You must buy something as without that the visit is incomplete. A nice 8 to 12 inch tall pair of Onyx vase should cost you around 1500 Rs.
onyx-vase-onyx-flower-vase-p377305-1b.jpg

If bhabhi is there she might be interested in:
5796968486_b7c19efc3c_b.jpg

:)

Anyway, back to the topic you just go past that Museum, through the market and keep driving on the Khanpur road for about 8 minutes. Once you are through that market area and as soon as the shops etc end you will see fields on your right hand side (lower then the road level) and immediately after that a water stream (again it is quite lower than road level so you may not notice it). Please note that this will be after driving for some 7 8 minutes past the Museum. You will cross the bridge on that small stream and immediately on your right hand there is a road going to the site. Again, a huge board clearly marks the spot. Take that road and in a minute you will be at gate of Sirkap.
dscn0253-jpg.317067

Park there, it is secure, be aware of the "guides" you do not need them. Visit that other thread you mentioned about Sirkap and all the information is there. Also those supposed Murthys of Buddah that those guides will try to tell you are NOT FROM THE SITE but from that market you just crossed :P you do not need them!!
Park the car and visit the Sirkap site, the spots inside are marked with boards so you wont have any trouble guiding yourself around. :)
https://defence.pk/threads/archaeology-in-pakistan-thread.437102/#post-8459742

One little tip or hint for you. About 300 meters after that road on right to Sirkap there is the UET Taxila gate on left side. So if you come across that UET Taxila gate you can be sure that you have missed the Sirkap road :)

Suggestion: Avoid going there in afternoon and there is not much vegetation/big trees to provide shadow. Evening are perfect as it is a vast plane and you will normally be welcomed by cool breeze.

Things to see: Well the whole site. It takes an hour or so to visit it all. Plus i have already told you about those handicraft shops, you must visit them and you will enjoy that (just be ready to bargain).
Plus in Sirkap, when you enter the site you are on what used to be the main boulevard with houses shops and temples on both sides. IF you just keep going on that track, go past those excavation you will see a small hill right in front of you. It takes about an hour to reach that and on top of that hill are the remains of what used to be the Kings palace at that time. It is quite a long walk and frankly, the place is also a must visit but i am telling you just in case. One good thing about that is that it is on a hill and once on top the view is nice. :) (perhaps it was for me only as i could see as i could make sense of! Wont be that great for you, not sure. I liked it however, specially the evenings)

NOTE: You can cover all this in a single day tour as you can see all three sites are right next to each other.

Nice thread, i will need the info here and questions coming up to plan my trip. :D
Sure thing! Shoot them sir, i hope someone here will have all the right answers for you. :)

Please some info about Naltar valley.
I have never been there personally.
@krash @Sulman Badshah Can you help our friend here? :)

I will just suggest one thing that if you are going from Punjab etc you need to plan at least a 5 to 6 days trip to properly explore the area. I mean, Naltar is some 40-50 Km from Gilgit which itself is a LONG journey (unless you plan to reach Gilgit by air and get the jeep to Naltar, I wont suggest you do so)
As far as i know, the best approach will be to take the MNJC to Naran, stay there for one night (i am assuming you are traveling somewhere from Punjab).
Early morning take to jeep via Babusar to Chilas and do not stop there rather keep traveling all the way to Gilgit (Stay is Chilas is no fun). Stay for the night. Next morning take the jeep to Naltar.

The guys i tagged would hopefully be in better position to guide about Naltar in more details.

NOTE: FRIENDS! IT WILL BE BETTER IF YOU CAN MENTIONED THE AREA YOU ARE FROM/WHERE YOU WILL BE STARTING YOUR JOURNEY FROM. That way we can see how much time is required and the best routes!

@ghazi52
Please let us not make this one of those dozens of other threads where we are just posting videos and images from internet WITHOUT a single word by our self!

We are just answering questions asked about different places and are NOT suggesting trips via those advertisement/promotional videos. Please do not mind and please do share this stuff as well when someone asks for that. We wont like this to be crowded with all the info readily available on internet.

Last edited:
I have never been there personally.
@krash @Sulman Badshah Can you help our friend here? :)

I will just suggest one thing that if you are going from Punjab etc you need to plan at least a 5 to 6 days trip to properly explore the area. I mean, Naltar is some 40-50 Km from Gilgit which itself is a LONG journey (unless you plan to reach Gilgit by air and get the jeep to Naltar, I wont suggest you do so)
As far as i know, the best approach will be to take the MNJC to Naran, stay there for one night (i am assuming you are traveling somewhere from Punjab).
Early morning take to jeep via Babusar to Chilas and do not stop there rather keep traveling all the way to Gilgit (Stay is Chilas is no fun). Stay for the night. Next morning take the jeep to Naltar.

The guys i tagged would hopefully be in better position to guide about Naltar in more details.

NOTE: FRIENDS! IT WILL BE BETTER IF YOU CAN MENTIONED THE AREA YOU ARE FROM/WHERE YOU WILL BE STARTING YOUR JOURNEY FROM. That way we can see how much time is required and the best routes!
Please some info about Naltar valley.

Arsalan is right ...

if you wanna go through road than it is good to take a route of Abbotabad/ mansehra / challas and all the way to gilgit baltistan ... via road it is better to go through northern area own transport (NATCO)

but it will be more comfortable journey if you travel through Airport ... It will be only one hour and fifteen minutes journey to reach in gilgit ...

And going to Naltar from gilgit is easy .. it is just few KM away .. Naltar pine are around 3

FRIENDS! IT WILL BE BETTER IF YOU CAN MENTIONED THE AREA YOU ARE FROM/WHERE YOU WILL BE STARTING YOUR JOURNEY FROM. That way we can see how much time is required and the best routes
Islamabad

I would love to tell you guys please stop visiting murree
as it is too much expensive than other area like swat valley or Naran Kaghan and more over it is less beautiful than other areas
people visiting Murree should avoid this famous hill station, Murree's people are very dirty minded and quarrel loving guys and I have seen too many incidents, even I have seen incident with families where murree's local gather and beat tourists.

@Arsalan

Thanks a lot that information would be really helpful, let's see if we could make it on this coming Sunday INSHALLAH.

And your bhabi already bought this from there :), I told you sir I enjoy travelling on that road while going to Abbottabad it is comparatively peaceful and has better views to offer at least for me .
5796968486_b7c19efc3c_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom