What's new

Pakistan to supply Super Mushak trainer aircraft to Iraq.

View attachment 16563

Pakistan today signed a key agreement with Iraq for the supply of trainer aircraft to Iraqi Air Force, in what is billed as "major milestone" in the export of aviation products from the country.

The contract of sales of Super Mushshak Aircraft to Iraq was signed by General Anwer Hamad Ameen Ahmed, Commander Iraqi Air Force and Air Marshal Sohail Gul Khan, Chairman of the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) Kamra.

Super Mushshak is a more advanced, upgraded variant of the MFI-17 Mushshak basic trainer.

It was designed and is being manufactured at the Aircraft Manufacturing Factory.

"The sale of Super Mashshak aircraft to Iraqi Air Force is a major milestone in the export of aviation products of Pakistan," a statement released by the Prime Minister's Office said.

The statement did not mention how many aircraft will be sold.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said that Pakistan will provide assistance to Iraq in fields of training and development.

He said Pakistan Air Force has a past a rich experience in training personnel of friendly countries and will, undoubtedly, assist in developing Iraqi Air Force on modern grounds.

He said this in a meeting with General Ahmed, who called on him at Prime Minister's house.

Federal Minister for Defence Production Rana Tanvir Hussain and Chief of Air Staff Air Marshal Tahir Rafique Butt were also present at the occasion.

In total two agreements were signed including the one for sale of the trainer aircraft.

According to the first agreement Pakistan Air Force will provide Training, to Iraq Air Defence Force personnel, in all sphere of Modern Air Force concept pertaining to different field special Air Defence, and Air Crew.

Pakistan to supply trainer aircraft to Iraq | Business Standard

Hopeful that PAC has gained order of 30 Super Mushak. Also hoping that PAC will gain orders for:
30+ K-8s
35-50 JF-17s Block-IIs very soon.

INSHA ALLAH

Contract signed between Iraqi MOD and PAC (US$92M for 20 Super Mashaak's with Training & Support) and PAF Training Directorate (US$70M for basic training of Iraqi pilots). Well done PAC and AHQ!!

we have exported basic mushaqs to saudia, south africa etc, but this is the first sale for super mushaq. Nice development.

if yanks sell them, its legal, if anyone else does, wooplaa!!!

simple ;)

No its more than good that we are selling a very stable product my query was what's wrong with Lasta 95 or perhaps maybe as fatman said it would be easy to train pilots, maybe lasta isn't that easy [hard to believe though] but we don't know seems an excellent product as well for basic/intermediate Training.

Anyway a deal is a "good deal" where you bag money, how big the deal is probably up to 20m I am counting not less than 20 planes.

Could there be any upgrades for RSAF...that remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Iraqi Air Force Orders Super Mushshaks from Pakistan

February 10, 2014

IMG_4258.jpg

Pakistan Air Force Super Mushshak 91-6322. A contract for an unspecified number of Super Mushshaks was signed today by the Iraqi Air Force. AFD-Alan Warnes

PAKISTAN SIGNED an agreement today, February 10, for the supply of Aircraft Manufacturing Factory (AMF) MFI-395 Super Mushshak training aircraft to the Iraqi Air Force (IqAF), marking a major export milestone for the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC), which builds the type. The contract was signed in Islamabad by General Anwer Hamad Ameen Ahmed, Commander of the IqAF, and Air Marshal Sohail Gul Khan, PAC Kamra Chairman.

The number of aircraft involved in the deal was not announced. The type is an upgraded version of the MFI-17 Mushshak basic trainer, which is itself a developed version of the Swedish Saab MFI-17 Supporter. A second contract signed between Iraq and Pakistan today covers the provision of training by Pakistan to Iraqi Air Defence Force personnel in all spheres of modern air force concepts, particularly relating to air defence and aircrew. AFD-Dave Allport

1601124_687155561327228_1667135140_n-g.png

General Anwer Hamad Ameen Ahmed, Commander of the Iraqi Air Force ( IqAF), and Air Marshal Sohail Gul Khan, PAC Kamra Chairman, signing an agreement at PM House in Islamabad today, February 14, between Pakistan Air Force and Iraq Air Force , witnessed by Pakistan’s Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif. Pakistan’s Defence Production Minister, Rana Tanveer, Pakistan Air Force Air Chief Tahir Rafiq Butt and Iraqi Air Chief General Anwer Hamad were also present on the occasion. Pakistan Prime Minister’s Office

Iraqi Air Force Orders Super Mushshaks from Pakistan | AirForces Daily

Great news,

The iraqi's can opt for a similar hi-lo mix for their air force as the PAF

Of course everyone wants the best but for a maturing airforce like the iraqi's have which has to be built from the ground up having 100-200 JF-17 with full support and a full weapons package available to them they can can opt for these aswell as 100 or so more powerfull aircraft from a provider of their choice

we have exported basic mushaqs to saudia, south africa etc, but this is the first sale for super mushaq. Nice development.

if yanks sell them, its legal, if anyone else does, wooplaa!!!

simple ;)

Saudis bought 20 Super Mushaks in 2004 .. Correct me if I'm wrong..

Last edited:
Now looking forward to sale of JF-17

You should try harder to promoting JF-17 in our country (Indonesia) for the next couple years, because we will spend a lot of money to build a formidable Air Force in the ASEAN region. Send the best salesman in Pakistan here, and trying to secure at least 3 to 4 billion US dollar contract because that's the number of money we will spend for the next 3 years for our New Fighter procurement programme.

You should try harder to promoting JF-17 in our country (Indonesia) for the next couple years, because we will spend a lot of money to build a formidable Air Force in the ASEAN region. Send the best salesman in Pakistan here, and trying to secure at least 3 to 4 billion US dollar contract because that's the number of money we will spend for the next 3 years for our New Fighter procurement programme.

Sooner than later you will have to replace your F-5s and JF-17 will definitely be a good option.

We heard from our Defence Minister on television saying he had an excellent trip to your country. Don't know too many details but he was referring to the sale of JF-17. I won't be surprised if ToT and local production line is offered to Indonesia. I mean this is one of the big reasons why countries like Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt are in talks with Pakistan.

Sooner than later you will have to replace your F-5s and JF-17 will definitely be a good option.

We heard from our Defence Minister on television saying he had an excellent trip to your country. Don't know too many details but he was referring to the sale of JF-17. I won't be surprised if ToT and local production line is offered to Indonesia. I mean this is one of the big reasons why countries like Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt are in talks with Pakistan.

We had decided the options to replace the F-5 with either Su-35 BM or F-15SE, but what i am talking about is right now Indonesia wanna to add her fighter fleets with additional capable and worthy work horse fighter until KF-X program bore to fruit, IMHO considering the price and capability the JF-17 has offer, it must be a great choice for Indonesian fighter wing.

How does Gawadar help China or Iraq with oil transit without all weather transport links or pipelines?

#1) What do you mean by all weather transport links? The KKH is an all weather transport link.

#2) Pipelines are in the pipeline, so to speak, so is a rail link. Frankly speaking, with the road laid out the pipeline won't be an issue, the rail link though will be impressive.

I would love to see the feasibility report of an oil pipeline across a 16,000 feet mountain range in frigid weather across an earthquake zone along the only major water source for the entire country.

Oil everywhere is not transported through just pipes. In difficult areas tankers are used. Given that there are a dozen and a half reports on the expansion of the KKH route, many of which explain the intended rail and pipeline links and give oil transport from the ME as one of the major reasons for developing the link, you can research a bit on it yourself. They built a road there, when it was nowhere, many many years ago.

The bold parts, you just forced in. If you haven't noticed the convergence of the Indian and the Eurasion tectonic plates runs northwards right through the country's center (The reason why we have so many mountains everywhere), i.e. almost the whole country is in a high risk earthquake zone. Next their are plenty of measures to protect almost everything from earthquakes these days,including pipelines. For the water source; pipelines aren't sea tankers, they can be turned off like faucets or pipes, pun intended.

Just thought that I should clear some things up. I believe there was a thread on the proposed plans, you can answer me there so as not to derail this thread further.

On topic:

A good opportunity to make inroads into the Iraqi market. The probability of hitting big sales there right away is low, the probability of making many low profile sales, on the other hand, is a lot. We should play smart with this opportunity.

Last edited:
#1) ...................
On topic:

A good opportunity to make inroads into the Iraqi market. The probability of hitting big sales there right away is low, the probability of making many low profile sales, on the other hand, is a lot. We should play smart with this opportunity.

20 Super Mushhaks is a good start, yes. Let's see how smart Pakistan plays with this "opportunity", specially whether it leads to other sales, may be even the JF-17. Good Luck!

Offtopic...which neighbor are you referring to...at this point nobody in the neighbor can compete with highly capable advance fleet of israel air force not even turkey. egypt has no active bvr no AMRAAMs. Syria is nothing, jordan also have F-16s with some 180 AMRAAMs and no BVRs for Iraqi Air Force from US.

What is Iraqi air force looking for with its capable Jets?

All would be available to FC-1/JF-17
BVR Missiles SD-10A/B
WVR Missiles PL-9 varaints/PL-5 variants
AESA [future Blocks]
Anti-radiation Missiles
Anti-shipping cruise missiles
AL Cruise Missiles [+/- 250km]
Targeting pods
Jamming pods
Glide stand off like H-4,H-2/free fall bombs /PGMs
Anti Runway munitions -HAFR-1
Cluster submunitions?
Lets not forget there is a news of AEW&C package for customers...

I'm asking you some info maybe you can post it in Arab Section and let me know as what is coming [weapons etc] with Iraqi F-16s.

Well iraq is looking for max capabilities. Remember we are facing block 60 f-16s, latest f-15's, f-18's, f-35's soon, eurofighter typhoons....

The JF-17 wouldn't be the greatest first line fighter against these. Iraq is in a tough neighborhood where everyone is arming to the teeth.

Well iraq is looking for max capabilities. Remember we are facing block 60 f-16s, latest f-15's, f-18's, f-35's soon, eurofighter typhoons....

The JF-17 wouldn't be the greatest first line fighter against these. Iraq is in a tough neighborhood where everyone is arming to the teeth.

What do max capabilities mean, elaborate. What capabilities are US providing with Iraqi F-16s..do list.

I think you are mistaken you mean a different medium to heavy class Platform to counter similar or in same class platform.

Because the capabilities/systems are there and Chinese/russians can provide the same level and +/- advancements which can be integrated with sino/russian Flankers or J-10 like aircraft same as on FC-1/JF-17....I don't see iraqi F-16s can take on anyone [apart from syria they too have R-27AE BVR] in the neighbor not even Jordanian AMRAAM equip F-16s. Iraq and egypt are in the same league and position you wont' be sold AMRAAMS or the more advance sea/land cruise missiles or the latest in precision munitions i can name a list that is not available to neither egyptians and jordan and it certainly not coming with Iraqi F-16s so there you go what actual capabilities are coming with Iraqi f-16s apart from the platform itself...hope you understand....we are waiting on the list of goodies Iraqi f-16s are offered/coming with.

Ok this is what i found.
The net effect seems cleverly calibrated to give Iraq an air defense force that can handle aging threats from Syria or Iran relatively well, and perform strike missions within Iraq, without being a serious threat to more advanced air forces in the region. Regional memories among its Arab neighbors, as well as Israeli concerns, make that a smart starting point.

Which means downgraded capabilities not max capibilities of F-16s the platform itself is excellent but without much weapons systems compared to what Chinese/russians can provide and can be integrated with FC-1/JF-17..i am not saying JF-17 is super plane but for the cost and capabilities it comes with Iraq would keep on requesting US but will not get it ever same is the case with egypt in dire need of active BVRs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom