What's new

Pakistan to install air defence system at Pak-Afghan border

since its the Islamabad who gives permission to act, i still think nothing would happen unless gilani or zardari come up to the tv and declare it to the public that any intruding aircrafts will be shot down!

If this news is true then it implies that our military fears that there could be further 'adventures' from NATO. But why was this step not taken after OBL raid ? (given that NATO used stealth cloak but even then ... stealth doesn't mean complete disaaperence and there r some countermeasures) ... I can bet on my life that US will never 'invade' Pakistan (because not only they cannot afford another venture but also Pakistan will be a hell of a lot more nightmare for them then Iraq /Afghanistan ) and there are/will be differences between US Military and white House Baron (who ever wins in 2012) on what to do ?

Wow What a meadia we have ,

The only Deployment there was of MANPADS nothing more , and they news made it look like we have deployed some 7th generation AA system .

sumhow i fail to simply accept this "upgrade part".

What was there before? Soldiers with slingshots?

IMHO they have made this news public just to lower the domestic anger and also "inform" US/NATo/ISAF that pstan wont let future incursions a cakewalk.

Really good point. Electronic jamming is where the American's are leaps and bounds better than the rest of the world. Due to the nature of the tech, it is also easier to hide and be secretive about. No nation in the modern world has been able to withstand it so far.

While we may see a massive gap in the capabilities of Pakistan and Iraq & Libya; from the top...where the Americans are looking from, it all looks the same...I know that sounds crude, but the Americans will only find Pakistan a worthy adversary, relative to other third world countries...not in the grand scheme of things. It may take them a few of weeks extra to gain air superiority, but that's hardly the kind of odds you want to play against.

Equally, I have yet to understand what will be gained if we were to shoot down a NATO aircraft...aside from a further deterioration of relations that may lead to a greater conflict Pakistan can't win. Closing off border to NATO supplies is Pakistan's greatest trump card, any military action against a force so powerful is bound to blow up in our face.

If its all for the sake of protecting our dignity...a more fruitful endeavor maybe, to change our pathetic leadership that has allowed us to end up in this situation.

Well, some of us are not used to bending over hence the flood of emotions.

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

sumhow i fail to simply accept this "upgrade part".

What was there before? Soldiers with slingshots?

IMHO they have made this news public just to lower the domestic anger and also "inform" US/NATo/ISAF that pstan wont let future incursions a cakewalk.

The soldiers role at the border was to fight against Talibaan, who have no airborne offenses and hence no need for anti air warfare tools ever before.

Well, it initially seemed to be Anza. It doesn't match the context though. (If the news of major Air Defence systems are true)
As for AAA, it was already position in the 'Boulder' post.

It could very well be HQ-9 or Spada 2000.
I would go with the first one though.

Glad to hear this. But still I don't see it being used as both Pakistan and US want the things to cool down, which is not going to happen unless the US wants to.

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani on Friday warned the US and its Nato allies that any future cross-border attack would meet with a “detrimental response.”

US-Pakistani relations plunged to a new low last month after a cross-border Nato air strike which killed 24 Pakistani soldiers.

Gilani made the comments while meeting army chief of staff General Ashfaq Kayani, the prime minister’s secretariat said in a statement.

“The democratic government would not allow similar attack on the country’s sovereignty and any attempt in future will definitely meet the detrimental response,” the statement quoted Gilani as saying.

Pakistani security officials earlier said they had upgraded the air defence system on the Afghan border to make it capable of shooting down aircraft.

Kayani informed the prime minister of the steps taken on the western boarders to revamp defence capabilities aimed at effectively countering any future incursion into Pakistani territory.

“The government and the people of Pakistan were ready to provide the armed forces all the necessary resources to bolster its defence and professional capabilities,” Gilani said.

Pakistan shut its border to Nato supply convoys on November 26, hours after the deadliest single cross-border attack of the 10-year war in Afghanistan.

The government also ordered the United States to leave the Shamsi air base in the southwest, widely reported to be a hub in the covert CIA drone war against the Taliban and al Qaeda in Pakistan’s border area with Afghanistan.

According to sources the Shamsi base has been vacated completely by the US forces on Friday. UAE officials were expected to take charge of the base from Saturday.

The November 26 attack brought the fragile Pakistani-US alliance to a fresh low, already reeling from a covert American raid that killed al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden near the Pakistani capital on May 2.

Gilani warns of ‘detrimental response’ to border attacks | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

Mav3rick said in his post #23

Pakistan has deployed the latest Chinese variant of S-300 missile & radar systems that were quietly and urgently provided by China after Abbatabad raid. These are believed to be able to detect stealth Jets at maximum shooting range.

can anybody confirms it? as if its true really good news for Pakistan???

as Kayani also brief prime minister about new air defense system

---------- Post added at 02:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 AM ----------

Pakistan warns of 'detrimental respose' to border attacks

Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani warned to retaliate against any future cross border attack.

Pakistan s Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani Friday warned the US and its NATO allies that any future cross-border attack would meet with a "detrimental response".

US-Pakistani relations plunged to a new low last month after a cross-border NATO air strike which killed 24 Pakistani soldiers.

Gilani made the comments while meeting army chief of staff General Ashfaq Kayani, the prime minister s secretariat said in a statement.

"The democratic government would not allow similar attack on the country s sovereignty and any attempt in future will definitely meet the detrimental response," the statement quoted Gilani as saying.

Pakistani security officials earlier said they had upgraded the air defence system on the Afghan border to make it capable of shooting down aircraft.

Kayani informed the prime minister of the steps taken on the western boarders to revamp defence capabilities aimed at effectively countering any future incursion into Pakistani territory.

"The government and the people of Pakistan were ready to provide the armed forces all the necessary resources to bolster its defence and professional capabilities," Gilani said.

Pakistan shut its border to NATO supply convoys on November 26, hours after the deadliest single cross-border attack of the 10-year war in Afghanistan.

The government also ordered the United States to leave the Shamsi air base in the southwest, widely reported to be a hub in the covert CIA drone war against the Taliban and Al-Qaeda in Pakistan s border area with Afghanistan.

The November 26 attack brought the fragile Pakistani-US alliance to a fresh low, already reeling from a covert American raid that killed Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden near the Pakistani capital on May 2.

Dunya News: Pakistan:p:akistan warns of 'detrimental respose' to border ...

Mav3rick said in his post #23

Pakistan has deployed the latest Chinese variant of S-300 missile & radar systems that were quietly and urgently provided by China after Abbatabad raid. These are believed to be able to detect stealth Jets at maximum shooting range.

can anybody confirms it? as if its true really good news for Pakistan???
Do not believe unless you have got it confirmed.
What he posted is just an assumption. The Armed Forces won't disclose it and try to hold the reality as much as they can, as this is a really sensitive topic.

The world is not foolish who try not to monitor our posts. Do you know, our media is over here, in this very forum? I saw yesterday on Geo News some brief-ups of the NATO/US attack. And I immediately recognized that it was said by Irfan Baloch. They have copied it. And am I not surprised, as my work on my NGO has been copied multiple times, but shown with some difference. I haven't copy righted anything on it. I tried to talk to a leading news channel of Pakistan, for promotion of my NGO, instead my ideas got copied.

If the media can keep an eye on what we post, expect the Pentagon and others to do the same.

Wow What a meadia we have ,

The only Deployment there was of MANPADS nothing more , and they news made it look like we have deployed some 7th generation AA system .

Leave it to the pakistani media to hype it up like this!!!

MANPADS are being given, and they are as if oerlikon guns have been placed there!!! or have they?:what:

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 PM ----------

Well, it initially seemed to be Anza. It doesn't match the context though. (If the news of major Air Defence systems are true)

Glad to hear this. But still I don't see it being used as both Pakistan and US want the things to cool down, which is not going to happen unless the US wants to.

Definitely not SPADA or HQ-9.

Something smaller

Trust me its Anza or RBS-70

Spada is a point defense system therefore it is out of the equation.. HQ-9? I doubt we possess such system..

Back
Top Bottom