What's new

Pakistan to import drug from Bangladesh for COVID-19 patients

Scam , Remdesivir does not work and it should be banned.
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...r-covid-19-treatment-in-expedited-review.html

Japan approves remdesivir for COVID-19 treatment in expedited review

logo_image_thumbnail.png
KYODO NEWS - May 8, 2020 - 06:30 | All, Japan, Coronavirus

The Japanese government approved Thursday the use of the anti-viral drug remdesivir for novel coronavirus patients in an expedited review as Japan, like other countries, scrambles to contain COVID-19 with the death toll gradually rising.

The government fast-tracked its approval of remdesivir just three days after the Japanese unit of U.S. developer Gilead Sciences Inc. filed an application, and one week after the United States authorized emergency use of the drug for COVID-19 patients.

photo_l.jpg

(Anti-viral drug Remdesivir)[Courtesy of Gilead Sciences Inc.]
Remdesivir, originally developed as a possible treatment for Ebola, is the first therapeutic drug approved in Japan to treat COVID-19, the respiratory illness caused by the novel coronavirus that was first detected in Wuhan, China, late last year.

Expectations have grown that the drug will help treat patients with severe symptoms, though there is concern over whether sufficient supplies can be secured. Some experts have voiced concern about remdesivir, saying there is little information about its safety and effectiveness.

Possible side effects of remdesivir, which is injected into a vein, include liver damage and nausea.

The anti-flu drug Avigan developed by a Fujifilm Holdings Corp. subsidiary is also expected to be approved later in the month for use to treat patients infected with the coronavirus.

The fast-track approval process employs simplified procedures and can be used when a drug has already been approved in another country.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has stressed the need for international cooperation to develop vaccines and treatment drugs amid the coronavirus pandemic. In Japan, over 16,200 coronavirus cases have been confirmed with about 600 deaths.

Japan has not seen an explosive surge in infections but Abe has extended the nationwide state of emergency until May 31 to make sure that the number of newly reported cases will fall further and not strain the medical system.

Still, the emergency could be lifted before May 31, depending on the situation in each prefecture.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said that could happen in any prefecture, regardless of whether it is currently designated as an area requiring "special caution." There are 13 such prefectures, including Tokyo, Osaka and Fukuoka that have been hit harder by the virus

NHS is a laughing stock. You have a higher chance of dying in the NHS hospital than at home. They give you the two week bed test , if you can can walk out on your own two feet after two weeks then great else it's diamorphine and you are sent out in a casket.
a

Thats a complete absolute cooked up deceitful absurd LIE. tens of thousands of Pakistanis would be dead without the NHS and NHS is there for Pakistanis who suffer many more genetic diaereses then any other ethnic community.
Pakistanis 99.9999% use the NHS not private doctors or hospitals.

As for the Chinese they do what they always do steal from others
Pharma Asia

Chinese firm copies Gilead's remdesivir, the most promising drug against the new coronavirus

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma...r-most-promising-drug-against-new-coronavirus

a

Thats a complete absolute cooked up deceitful absurd LIE. tens of thousands of Pakistanis would be dead without the NHS and NHS is there for Pakistanis who suffer many more genetic diaereses then any other ethnic community.

Pharma Asia

Chinese firm copies Gilead's remdesivir, the most promising drug against the new coronavirus

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma...r-most-promising-drug-against-new-coronavirus
Explains why more minorities die in NHS because of fools like you and your out of touch reality.

a

Pharma Asia

Yes this is great news as it is the first drug that is proven safe and has helped some patients recover quicker.

We need as many tools as possible to get life back to normal as soon as possible.

Explains why more minorities die in NHS because of fools like you and your out of touch reality.

We need to be blatantly honest here.

Are minorities more overweight than the average white person in the UK - Yes.

Do minorities exercise less than the average white person in the UK - Yes.

I agree that there is an element of racism, although no country is free of this, but minorities need to help themselves more.

Yes this is great news as it is the first drug that is proven safe and has helped some patients recover quicker.

We need as many tools as possible to get life back to normal as soon as possible.

We need to be blatantly honest here.

Are minorities more overweight than the average white person in the UK - Yes.

Do minorities exercise less than the average white person in the UK - Yes.

I agree that there is an element of racism, although no country is free of this, but minorities need to help themselves more.
You believe any crap you are given don't you?

And you are going against the evidence.

Please provide evidence for your claims.
What evidence? From Pharma companies who are well known for fiddling results to push products to market and well known for hiding victims of their products?

I take it you are air headedly referring to a higher covid-19 death rate re ethnic minorities.
There is a differentiation between Pakistanis and other ethnic minorities. Pakistanis are dying far more than Indians and Whites from covid-19 according to government statistics.
Covid-19 spreads in unhealthy environments like packing 5 people into single rooms and having HUGE families living in houses meant for a few individuals, not maintaining proper hygiene and the other genetic markers like obesity diabetes heart problems etc
Every country has recorded a HIGHER death rate amongst minorities . Studies are on within the NHS to give us the proper scientific reasons for this differentiation

But it is true that in UK Pakistanis are susceptible death from covid19 than the indigenous English and the immigrant Indians according to govt statistics.

NHS is a laughing stock.

What is a laughing stock is Pakistans "Pharma Industry"

Why Pakistan cannot produce essential medicines
Dr Hamid Ali Merchant | Dr Izhar HussainMay 30, 2020
Facebook Count
Twitter Share

5ed1daeb9f622.png

COVID-19 is now a major global health challenge. — AFP/File
COVID-19 is now a major global health challenge. Are we ready to fight a medical emergency of the magnitude seen in Europe and USA? One of the biggest challenges that Pakistan may face is an extreme shortage of essential medicines.

China and India are better off than many developed countries when it comes to the capability to produce medicines; why not Pakistan?

Pakistan is blessed with a pharmaceutical hub which already produces medicines. However, we lack the capability to produce raw materials needed to make medicines. For raw materials we mainly rely on imports.

In response to a global health emergency like Covid-19, do we know our total national pharmaceutical reserve for essential medicines? Do we know how long our reserve could last during a health emergency? Can we continue producing medicines if our raw material supply is interrupted from overseas?

The answer to most of these questions unfortunately is in the negative. The bitter truth is that over-reliance on imported raw materials have put the entire industry and public health in danger.

China and India supply most of the pharmaceutical raw material to the entire world; they are struggling to meet the surge in demand amid the present pandemic. Moreover, the global lockdown has not spared even the pharmaceutical supply chain.

To understand our capability of producing medicines, let’s take as an example paracetamol and ibuprofen tablets — a common baseline treatment for Covid-19 and a number of minor ailments like the common cold and flu.

Pakistan produces these medicines at a very low cost, but many would be surprised to know that we do not manufacture the active ingredients present in these products. We cannot continue producing these medicines if other countries stop the supply of these active ingredients.

Have we thought about how much reserve do we have nationally for the materials used to produce these medicines and the implications of the shortage of essential medicines like paracetamol and ibuprofen in the country?

There are two types of materials generally needed to produce any medicine. The first is the active ingredient which has the medicinal property to produce a therapeutic effect. The other ingredients, commonly referred to as “excipients”, are the materials needed to convert the active ingredient into a suitable dosage form, for instance a tablet, so that quality is maintained in medicine production and a drug is administered safely.

Pakistan does not have the capability to produce the active ingredients of most medicines, including life-saving drugs. Over-reliance on cheaper imports has ruined the country’s capacity to produce medicines.

The irony here is that massive quantities of inactive ingredients used to formulate active ingredients into dosage form are also imported.

Many pharmaceutical and food additives that we currently import are plant-derived carbohydrate polymers extracted from vegetables and fruits.

We do not produce them locally, even though Pakistan is among the top 10 producers of agricultural commodities.

Have we always been so incapable and handicapped? Well, a few decades ago, the situation was not so bad and our country used to manufacture drugs. Aspirin, penicillin, nicotinamide and ephedrine are a few examples.

While most of these drugs were produced by chemical synthesis, drugs like penicillin were produced in a biological production facility using microorganisms. The country was then on the road to achieving self-reliance in producing life-saving medicines.

Cheap imports kill local production

But we stopped manufacturing medicinal substances decades ago. The cheaper imports gradually killed the local produce over time. Consequently, we cannot make a single medicine without using an imported ingredient.

Covid-19 has not only shaken the world but also challenged public health organisations over the state of their preparedness in preventing a pandemic.

It is a wakeup call for Pakistan to realise the importance of self-reliance during a national emergency.

Recently, a pharmaceutical firm obtained a licence to locally produce remdesivir, the anti-viral drug approved to treat Covid-19 patients.

The medicine failed badly against Ebola and other viral outbreaks and its effectiveness against coronavirus is questionable. But all said and done, it is encouraging to see a local company come forward to establish the infrastructure for an anti-viral drug.

Even if remdesivir does not prove effective, the technology to make it will help us manufacture other anti-viral drugs of proven efficacy against other infections.

These drugs are widely prescribed and for their production, like others, we currently rely on imported ingredients.

Pakistan needs a holistic strategy to move forward and enhance the capacity of its pharmaceutical sector. The policy on pricing, equitable access to medicine, reforms in imports, tax relief and rebates for local manufacturers are a few examples.

Institutions like non-government organisations, not-for-profit bodies and universities can play their role in fostering the knowledge exchange and technology transfer from academia to industry.

Another example is Pakistan’s National Institute of Health. It was conceived in the 1960s to facilitate infectious disease control programmes, production of biological medicines such as anti-venoms, and vaccines.

The institute still collaborates with the World Health Organisation in the field of viral diagnostics and serves as a regional reference laboratory for viruses like polio and flu.

It is unfortunate that the institute’s capability has deteriorated over the years, mainly due to a lack of vision, strategic direction, government support and funding.

Revival of pharma industry

There is no reason that our national capability cannot be revitalised.

But it requires an honest attempt to set a strategic direction and priorities in the interest of the nation.

Millions of people across the world have been infected with coronavirus and it is highly likely that it will stay with us forever. Mutations are inevitable and future contagions are not impossible in the global village that we live in today.

Covid-19 is a global health emergency and all developed nations are struggling to cope with it. Hence overseas support is difficult.

If we do not act now, a severe medical crisis may hit the nation and more people will die due to emergencies and shortage of essential medicines than by the virus itself.

The lessons learned from the pandemic will even go beyond Covid-19 and can potentially protect Pakistan in the event of another pandemic. Together we can!

Dr Hamid A. Merchant is a Subject Lead in Pharmacy at the University of Huddersfield, UK, and Dr Izhar M. Hussain is the Director of the Institute of Business & Health Management at the Dow University of Health Sciences, Karachi. The authors have extensive experience both in the pharmaceutical industry and academia, and have worked for various organisations

Published in Dawn, May 30th, 2020

You guys come out with so much nonsense it's truly astonishing. What evidence that you have that Pakistanis are more over crowded than other minorities and that we have a higher birth rate?

I suffer from diabetes and am over weight but Corona hasn't touched me even though I was working in high risk areas? So there goes your nonsense number 2. As for hygiene Pakistanis have the highest sense and act of hygiene, we wash our hands before eating food, we wash our hands after toilet, we wash ourselves 5 times a day wazu. There goes your crap number 3.

People of Bangladeshi and Pakistani, Indian, and Mixed ethnicities also had statistically significant raised risk of death involving COVID-19 compared with those of White ethnicity. There goes your nonsense number 4.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...cgroupenglandandwales/2march2020to10april2020

Table 2. Number and percentage of COVID-19 deaths by ethnic group and source
NHS England (all ages) ONS (all ages)
Deaths
Percent Deaths Percent
White
14781 82.73 10726 83.76
Mixed 130 0.73 94 0.73
Indian 560 3.13 483 3.77
Bangladeshi and Pakistani 501 2.80 386 3.01
Chinese 66 0.37 59 0.46
Black 1022 5.72 766 5.98
Other ethnic group 806 4.51 291 2.27
Source: NHS England and Office for National Statistics

You guys come out with so much nonsense it's truly astonishing. What evidence that you have that Pakistanis are more over crowded than other minorities and that we have a higher birth rate?

I suffer from diabetes and am over weight but Corona hasn't touched me even though I was working in high risk areas? So there goes your nonsense number 2. As for hygiene Pakistanis have the highest sense and act of hygiene, we wash our hands before eating food, we wash our hands after toilet, we wash ourselves 5 times a day wazu. There goes your crap number 3.

People of Bangladeshi and Pakistani, Indian, and Mixed ethnicities also had statistically significant raised risk of death involving COVID-19 compared with those of White ethnicity. There goes your nonsense number 4.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...cgroupenglandandwales/2march2020to10april2020

Table 2. Number and percentage of COVID-19 deaths by ethnic group and source
NHS England (all ages) ONS (all ages)
Deaths
Percent Deaths Percent
White
14781 82.73 10726 83.76
Mixed 130 0.73 94 0.73
Indian 560 3.13 483 3.77
Bangladeshi and Pakistani 501 2.80 386 3.01
Chinese 66 0.37 59 0.46
Black 1022 5.72 766 5.98
Other ethnic group 806 4.51 291 2.27
Source: NHS England and Office for National Statistics

1. Statistical analysis from all over the world proves there is a higher risk of death from being overweight and diabetic. Glad to hear you are ok but remember coronavirus has only affected between 5-7% of the UK population in total and so there is a still a chance that even though you work in high-risk areas you will not have been exposed to the virus.

2. My mum's Pakistani neighbour seems to have a child every year and this is very common in the town where I come from, with a lot of the Pakistanis in the population. The local hospital has half or more Pakistani new mums when Pakistanis make up around 20% of the town's population.

Like I say racism plays a part as well but name me one country in the world that is free of racism.

PS - I think I got the virus back in March as I used to work in a very high risk environment with no ability to carry out any social distancing. For 3-4 weeks I had this very strange sore throat that I never experienced before.
Maybe the fact that I am young and extremely healthy stopped me from getting any more severe symptoms, if I did in fact I did catch the virus then.

Who can answer your stupid ignorance? Study and learn from teachers other than your Taleban. Even Taleban Mullah goes to a doctor for medicine when he is sick.

Leader of Al Qaeda Mr. Ayman Al Zawahiri is a surgeon. So yeah lmao...

May be this joker is having a bad time hearing Pakistan importing the drug from a " low life " country bangladesh. As "Pakistan is above bangladesh ". (The mindset some paks ). And thus he turning to religion lying to himself that corona virus is a scam.

That's what I thought initially, but it's not the case, this man is just extra special.

Pious? Perhaps. Logical? NO Foolhardy? 120%

Perhaps he wants one of us to slip up when we get annoyed and then say something we will regret. I've seen people get into arguments with other Muslims with different viewpoints and then regretting when they made blasphemous statements out of anger.

This is why I suggest all of you to let our brother be.

Btw if you want really want to be "religious" as is quite obvious by the amount of times you shout "Allahu Akbar" then abandon your life in the land of the "kuffars", return at once to Pakistan and give up on nationalism waving a flag is not 'Islamic' nor is having 'bitter taste' for bangalis even though they're your Muslim 'brothers'.

Last edited:
Leader of Al Qaeda Mr. Ayman Al Zawahiri is a surgeon. So yeah lmao...

That's what I thought initially, but it's not the case, this man is just extra special.

Pious? Perhaps. Logical? NO Foolhardy? 120%

Perhaps he wants one of us to slip up when we get annoyed and then say something we will regret. I've seen people get into arguments with other Muslims with different viewpoints and then regretting when they made blasphemous statements out of anger.

This is why I suggest all of you to let our brother be.

Btw if you want really want to be "religious" as is quite obvious by the amount of times you shout "Allahu Akbar" then abandon your life in the land of the "kuffars", return at once to Pakistan and give up on nationalism waving a flag is not 'Islamic' nor is having 'bitter taste' for bangalis even though they're your Muslim 'brothers'.

Someone has to bring the Message to the lost souls as well. And I wouldnt call them kuffar, they are people of the Book.

Bangladesh is a brother country and Alhamdulillah, we will always be side by side with each other.

Start prepping my brothers, its time to expand our territories into India in the cause of Allah and perhaps find our honorable exits from this world to our Creator, InshaAllah . :sniper:
:pakistan:

Last edited:
SAHIH INTERNATIONAL
Indeed, Allah loves those who fight in His cause in a row as though they are a [single] structure joined firmly.

Those who are killed in the cause of Allah: Do not call them dead." In fact ! they are living, though you can not perceive that life.

And if you are killed or die in the cause of Allah, forgiveness and mercy from Allah are far better than all that they could amass (of worldly wealths).

Do not think of those who are killed in Allah's cause as dead. Nay! they are alive, and they are given sustenance from their Sustainer.

SAHIH INTERNATIONAL

And what is [the matter] with you that you fight not in the cause of Allah and [for] the oppressed among men, women, and children who say, "Our Lord, take us out of this city of oppressive people and appoint for us from Yourself a protector and appoint for us from Yourself a helper?"

Allah O Akbar
:pakistan:
:sniper:

Back
Top Bottom