What's new

Pakistan to get more SAAB 2000 Erieyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
But bro we don't need extremely expansive European or russian jets, but Chinese jet like J-16 is most suitable for Pakistan, we need deep strike rather than pure single mission AD jets

That's another viewpoint- which i appreciate.. But wouldn't the Russians need to give the green signal? I mean why would they allow China to sell those flankers, when it would want PAF to purchase some from them directly and make more 'dosh'. Also if india decides to upgrade her 30's that would bring them pretty close to the 35's. Which is a problem, at least in my view. In any case, I would rather Pakistan be anything but under-equipped vis a vis India. Any new platform is welcome!

But bro we don't need extremely expansive European or russian jets, but Chinese jet like J-16 is most suitable for Pakistan, we need deep strike rather than pure single mission AD jets
J-11 series from China has no chance of coming

If it helps, it's key to understand that the availability of the JF-17 - especially the Block-III - has given the PAF a good general purpose platform to handle most air warfare tasks, e.g. air defence, short-range strike, etc. The need for another platform, e.g. Typhoon, Su-35, etc - would be tied to fulfilling very specific roles that the JF-17 simply cannot fulfill, e.g. deep strike, extended-range maritime coverage, air interdiction, etc. Thanks to the JF-17, few high-tier fighters are necessary. In fact, if you partner the high-tier fighter with the PAF's F-16s, you could have a decent offensive force (e.g. Tranche 3 for strike and F-16s for top cover).

Thanks :) ... As per Alan Warnes, the PAF has 3 active Erieye and another 3 in the procurement pipeline.

Welcome! I concur. In your view, which option would be the most suitable in terms of a new platform and which is most feasible? I somehow feel Typhoons (as brilliant as they are) would be problematic for Pakistan.. I mean it would be a sight for sore eyes if they got hold of some tranche 2's and maybe even 3's with those Meteor missiles, but I feel it won't happen.. I would love to be proven wrong! What say you?

Welcome! I concur. In your view, which option would be the most suitable in terms of a new platform and which is most feasible? I somehow feel Typhoons (as brilliant as they are) would be problematic for Pakistan.. I mean it would be a sight for sore eyes if they got hold of some tranche 2's and maybe even 3's with those Meteor missiles, but I feel it won't happen.. I would love to be proven wrong! What say you?
Just my opinion, but I think the PAF itself would prefer a Western platform for the simple reason that it'd be easier to pair them with F-16s and Erieye in joint missions. If, hypothetically, the PAF were to ask for the Typhoon Tranche 3, then it has the option to arm them with the AIM-120C5 (of which it has 500). If not (e.g. ITAR), then it could ask Turkey for its newly revealed Merlin AAM.

Just my opinion, but I think the PAF itself would prefer a Western platform for the simple reason that it'd be easier to pair them with F-16s and Erieye in joint missions. If, hypothetically, the PAF were to ask for the Typhoon Tranche 3, then it has the option to arm them with the AIM-120C5 (of which it has 500). If not (e.g. ITAR), then it could ask Turkey for its newly revealed Merlin AAM.

..Sounds like a plan mate. Let's see how things unfold! These additional Erieye aircraft might just be indicative of what you're stating! I.e laying the groundwork for more western aircrafts and of course for greater coverage overall including the sea; with Cpec, EEZ and all in mind.

PAF has no plan to buy a 4.5 gen fighter. They will create a dense AD network of integrated SAMs which will act as a deterrent and move on to 5th gen.

Meanwhile, some more F-16s may also join in.

... That's also a distinct possibility.. But SAM's have their own utility, it doesn't replace the need for fighter aircrafts as you most certainly already know.. Jumping to the 5th generation is unlikely given that it's still some time away. I feel PAF will 'bite the bullet' and nail down a new 4.5 generation aircraft soon, if not it's delicate balance with IAF is going to erode further with those Rafales arriving soon. I bet they (PAF) are prowling for something above and beyond the Vipers.

Last edited:
PAF has no plan to buy a 4.5 gen fighter. They will create a dense AD network of integrated SAMs which will act as a deterrent and move on to 5th gen.

Meanwhile, some more F-16s may also join in.

In my opinion, based on publicly available knowledge, this is the best assessment of the situation so far.

Those men are traitors, leaking confidential information to someone who can't keep it to himself and bragging about it on a public forum. Those men should be publically executed.

I know I have men inside okay now Happy. Every one close of PAF knows what are these meetings for. Never a Air Chief has met a PM so many times in which current one has in past two to three months and don't work like this AWAC news has come you would soon hear about the news I am talking about.

We bought 4 one was destroyed and one was damaged but damaged one was repaired so now 3 are active

Those men are traitors, leaking confidential information to someone who can't keep it to himself and bragging about it on a public forum. Those men should be publically executed.
That was a joke !!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's another viewpoint- which i appreciate.. But wouldn't the Russians need to give the green signal? I mean why would they allow China to sell those flankers, when it would want PAF to purchase some from them directly and make more 'dosh'. Also if india decides to upgrade her 30's that would bring them pretty close to the 35's. Which is a problem, at least in my view. In any case, I would rather Pakistan be anything but under-equipped vis a vis India. Any new platform is welcome!
Yes bro you right, but its too early to say that Russia is offering Su-35 for Pakistan, and Russian is not mastered in system integration and avionics integration as compare to west but one thing is for sure they build great airframes but not good building in sophisticated avionics it is quite probable that we will get J series from China
J-11 series from China has no chance of coming
But all our Chinese brothers said that they can sell it their J-11 series of jets without Russian permission:p:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes bro you right, but its too early to say that Russia is offering Su-35 for Pakistan, and Russian is not mastered in system integration and avionics integration as compare to west but one thing is for sure they build great airframes but not good building in sophisticated avionics it is quite probable that we will get J series from China

But all our Chinese brothers said that they can sell it their J-11 series of jets without Russian permission:p:
No not happening from China we would get J-10 C

... That's also a distinct possibility.. But SAM's have their own utility, it doesn't replace the need for fighter aircrafts as you most certainly already know.. Jumping to the 5th generation is unlikely given that it's still some time away. I feel PAF will 'bite the bullet' and nail down a new 4.5 generation aircraft soon, if not it's delicate balance with IAF is going to erode further with those Rafales arriving soon. I bet they (PAF) are prowling for something above and beyond the Vipers.

PAF is cash-strapped, a new 4.5 gen aircraft will require billions. Given the constraints, I am not optimistic about Typhoon, Su-35, J-10 or even MiG-35 (though the need was always there).

Currently, PAF is focusing on replacing obsolete F-7P & Mirage III / V (non-ROSE) aircraft operated by five squadrons. At least three of those will be replaced by JF-17s. I am inclined to believe PAF is desperate for another two squadrons of F-16s (old or new).

In interviews, senior PAF officials have repeatedly said PAC and PAF's future lies in manufacturing and operating 5th gen fighters. Eventually, they will commit to a program (TFX or FC-31) and invest all they have.

No not happening from China we would get J-10 C
No:disagree: they have to replace their vast numbers of J-7 and J-8, they have to filled that void with J-10C, as for Pakistan J-10C is still 5 years away from now:p:

Well no not from west and Italy and UK and Spain are more than ready to sell us EFT that is why Air Chief has met PM around 10 times in last two to three months. Also PAF Chief last year visit to Italy was for same reason and Saudis are ready to help. As for J-10 C well preparations are already being made at KAMRA for that. NS is pushing in Russian direction because Russia is giving him heavy commissions mainly to his sons.

If KSA is ready to help then EFT n Aster-30 block-1NT should be considered by PAF and Government.

Nawaz being pushed by Russia??? Well that's a new one, btw What circle is that?

I think Shahid Masood discussed about corruption in up coming deal of fighter jets with Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom