What's new

Pakistan to build a Nuclear submarine

Is it possible to acquire 3 SSBNs till 2025? and 11+ SSKs
Possible yeah...but you can't get all indigenously. Also the cost of building and then operating will be a huge strain on the country. If your economy improves then you can easily build and buy these subs.

According to the news channels, funds for Nuclear Sub have already been allocated. :yahoo:

Are news channels still reporting it ? I am yet to see any :(

if the news managed to reach news channels with blessings of ISPR than i am pretty sure that we are way ahead of "planning to build a nuclear sub" just my 2 cents

Here is the news from ARY news!
VIDEO LINK TO NEWS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFTt3Ss_fgg

this is a great news. i hope we now go ahead with this...
:yahoo:
:pakistan:

Can some one clear me some things about nuclear sub-

what is a nuclear sub?-

1. A sub which can launch nuclear missiles?-
2. A sub generating power from controlled nuclear fission?-
3. Both 1. 2.

Thank You-

Number two is basically a nuclear sub. Even a conventional sub can launch nuclear tipped cruise missiles like Qing class equipped with CJ-10 missiles.

i dont see the need of a nuclear sub- Qing class should suffice-
Our policy is to maintain minimum deterrence- Not to match at max-
The money and resources will be better off if we invest them on acquiring more frigates and destroyers-
PN needs more ships that can sail over not under-

i dont see the need of a nuclear sub- Qing class should suffice-
Our policy is to maintain minimum deterrence- Not to match at max-
The money and resources will be better off if we invest them on acquiring more frigates and destroyers-
PN needs more ships that can sail over not under-

Well whether Pakistan needs it or not is debateable. Since submarines are the offensive part of PN's war doctrine that's why they might have decided to add maximum power to it. Well still a lot to be done on this project since it is a very big project. Wait and watch.

You do know the liability of nuclear detterance. If for some reason your nuke submarine has any accidents, (hey all subs do)
Your messed up bigg time you have to pay billions to UN and this will mess up economy. Better stick with economy than to compete with India. Remember Soviets did the same mistake and collapsed

Indians and their obsession with Pak military budget or Pak having no resources.

You guys are something. Even after 14 pages still not getting the point.

As i always say, its useless to make Indians understand in pretext of Pakistan.

Bhai,

1. labor cost are just 10% of the nuke sub project so the reason we can do or china can do that so cheaply is all falls.

2. all the chinese stuff costs so cheap because of the economy of scale and use of cheaper options but one can't go for the cheaper stuff in the case of nuke subs.

3. Where is the economy of scale in nuclear submarines which is there in jf 17 as u have mentioned it.

4. Even traditional submarines takes 60 months (5 years) to be ready and a nuke submarine needs much more time as the time taken in testing nuclear reactor (after fitting it into nuke subs) + sea trials + weapon testing takes another 3-4 years.

5. Even if you got lottery or china funds everything and also provide technology, spare parts and assistance it will take minimum of 12-14 years to have ur 1st nuke submarine in the pakistani Navy.

1. Plz tell me how you came up with the 10% figure, i would really like to see your research on that in context to Pakistan / China.

2. Go read and learn of why Chinese products even not being manufactured on large scale are cheap. Its not about just economies of scale, many other factors come into play.

3. Did i talk about economies of scale with regards to JF-17 or the nuke subs ?? heck even JF-17 had not reached economies of scale and it costs 20.0M$$ or less.

4. Nobody said that the nuke sub will be operational in 5 years or 7 years, they just gave a time line of 5-7 years to make it, ope-rationalizing it will take further time. And said before it may take 10 years, they are giving best estimates right now of max 8 years, its just a plan, in reality what happens who knows.

5. So what ?? 8 years max is the time limit given by Navy currently, who knows what happens and how things shape. I being one give it a 10 year time line, very much near to what you said, so what. Its a very long term and ambitious program and we know that and we have the patience for that. We are not saying we will have it tomorrow or in a year.

Indians and their obsession with Pak military budget or Pak having no resources.

You guys are something. Even after 14 pages still not getting the point.

As i always say, its useless to make Indians understand in pretext of Pakistan.
Military can be used to defend agreed, but excess usage of finance on military destabilises economic growth. Obtaining tech is good but maintaining in the long term is a nightmare. Even US is thinking of sinking its aircraft carrier in persian gulf as it is too expensive to decommission it. Right now pakistan's economy is not so strong to maintain a nuke submarine let aside have a fully functional base to handle that kind of tech. Looking at the insurgency movement in pakistan I think you need to spend more on army than on navy due to size of shoreline .

Military can be used to defend agreed, but excess usage of finance on military destabilises economic growth. Obtaining tech is good but maintaining in the long term is a nightmare. Even US is thinking of sinking its aircraft carrier in persian gulf as it is too expensive to decommission it. Right now pakistan's economy is not so strong to maintain a nuke submarine let aside have a fully functional base to handle that kind of tech. Looking at the insurgency movement in pakistan I think you need to spend more on army than on navy due to size of shoreline .

totally agreed, that is economy should be the preference one. But we are not commissioning the nuke sub right away. We are just planning the thing and thinking to take a journey on this path. What's the big deal in that. Lets us go on the journey, we know we have tight resources, that is why we not a large naval fleet and our quality has gone down in recent years.

PA is getting what is needed, but COIN doesn't means we neglect PN or AF, they need to be upgraded too. COIN will finish once US leaves, its all due to them, so we need to keep a balance between the threats we are facing.

A good news for national defence but personally i would have been happy if this was accompanied by setting up the largest education city in Pakistan within next 08 years.

Back
Top Bottom