What's new

Pakistan successfully tests Babur 2 Cruise Missile.

I believe the physical dimensions of Missile is same as before, range/payload/speed/size is same the thing which is updated is guidance system. From INS - GPS based system to TERCOM - DSMAC is big leap as this tech will be followed in other available options too. New Missile has achieved new levels in accuracy, stealth, trajectory flexibility & counter EW capabilities. :pakistan:

And wouldn't that mean it's capable of "anti ship" missions ... Because that's what the MODP 2014-15 report officially suggests...

And considering the new Babur II test claims anti sea capability.... I'd suppose this is the system the report mentions ? To be operational by 2018.

While the Sub Launched version would be ready by the time Pak gets the new subs.. 2020-22 deadline.

A slimmer dia would indicate that the Babur SLCM and the AShM have a lot in common, also indicating that it can be launched from current 533mm tubes.

Anti Sea Capabilities = what? Fishing? Poondi? obviously AShM.

Pakistani's today you finally gave the world a glimpse of what Babur is up to. Congratulations!

It would, because then you would have an antiship specific guidance package. As opposed to a missile that relies on INS, TERCOM and DSMAC that initital page one articles referred to, which is primarily useful for are land attack. As indicated, a nuke warhead with good INS and datalink may be brought close enough to an area sea target, but is unlikely able to pinpoint a single ship.

If a sublaunched version - whether land attack or antiship or both - will be ready for the new subs, then IMHO that means that at this point current submarines likely do not have the ability to fire Babur while submerged.
The current subs arent meant to fire the Babur at all. Whiskey class launch systems were studied but were found to be thoroughly impractical(for the purpose) and very very noisy.

For all the kiddos who are confused about the range and role of this missile, This is a cruise missile. It is used for precision strike to take out high value targets with pin-point accuracy. A cruise missile is quite expensive due to very advanced systems since it flies like an airplane for the most part of its flight thus it has turbojet engine in it and flight systems that allow it fly low, thus it can avoid detection from enemy radars and also change course in case of obstacles. It can fly above or around the obstacles depending on the algorithms fed into its flight computer.
And as being speculated that this is a naval version of Babur Cruise missile, so it will be used for taking about enemy ships especially the heaviest ones like ACC at a range of 700-km so it means that it can target the moving targets thus it has to be linked to some satellite navigation system

Last edited:
The current subs arent meant to fire the Babur at all. Whiskey class launch systems were studied but were found to be thoroughly impractical(for the purpose) and very very noisy.
"Weren't" would be the right word. Thats why the 90B's upgrades include a lot more than just the AIP module.

For all the kiddos who are confused about the range and role of this missile, This is a cruise missile. It is used to precision strike to take out high value targets with pin-point accuracy. A cruise missile is quite expensive due to very advanced systems since it flies like an airplane for the most part of the of its flight thus it was turbojet engine in it and flight systems that allow it fly low, thus avoid detection by enemy radar and also change course in case of obstacles. It can fly above or around the obstacles depending on the algorithms fed into its flight computer.
And as being speculated that this a naval version of Babur Cruise missile, so it will be used for taking about enemy ships especially the heaviest ones like ACC at a range of 700-km but that means it can target the moving targets.

I wouldn't go with the 700Km range.

In my years of service, I have yet to see a missile manufacturer declare the correct range of a missile, on marketing material / press releases.

Thank you. That's a very clear answer as to the status of SLCM in the PN.

"Weren't" would be the right word. Thats why the 90B's upgrades include a lot more than just the AIP module.

I wouldn't go with the 700Km range.

In my years of service, I have yet to see a missile manufacturer declare the correct range of a missile, on marketing material / press releases.
That's the declared range but actual range can differ and above sea it is slightly different and it is customary to specify in nautical miles which implies. Turbine engine technology is one area that needs a lot of R&D once Pakistan is able to develop more powerful engine, the range will be increased.

News coming through ISPR officials.

Pakistan has successfully tests Babur 2 Cruise Missile newer version with 700 KM range. advance aerodynamic, avionics, today.

@Side-Winder @farhan_9909 @Horus @Oscar @HRK

And that tracking from air was suppposedly through a Mirage DP I guess. Nonetheless I really doubt that they had set the range of Babur as 700 km only. Now if it can hit targets even in sea then its enough to give an idea of range further enhanced than reported 700 km. Like I keep on saying that I just love the way people out there keep things secret. In short seedhi baat and no bakwas.

That's the declared range but actual range can differ and above sea it is slightly different and it is customary to specify in nautical miles which implies. Turbine engine technology is one area that needs a lot of R&D once Pakistan is able to develop more powerful engine, the range will be increased.

I wouldn't go with 700NM, just yet, unless there is some sort of confirmation. But yes the range is definitely more than 700km.

Not only engine tech, but fuel tech as well.

Thank you. That's a very clear answer as to the status of SLCM in the PN.
Quite frankly, the second strike capability is essentially of deterrent value anyway. As long as the ability exists to even get a single 100kt nuke on a target. It serves its purpose.

To quote an old propaganda movie on US SAC; SAC exists to ensure peace, its greatest focus to make sure war never breaks out in the first place.

Nor will anyone give you access to real time sat feed, just as an e.g.
except China :)

I wouldn't go with 700NM, just yet, unless there is some sort of confirmation. But yes the range is definitely more than 700km.

Not only engine tech, but fuel tech as well.
SIr jee I didn't say it is 700 nm either..what I was saying it is textbook practice and in case Babur 700km = 377.97 nm.
but yeah the undeclared range is different :)

Back
Top Bottom