What's new

Pakistan soldiers killed by friendly fire in ambush !

Friendly fire killed 13 Pakistani soldiers caught up in an ambush by suspected militants near the Afghan border, a military commander says.

Government officials earlier reported that the soldiers were killed by the suspected militants during a gun battle in the Khyber tribal region on Monday.

But Lt Gen Asif Yasin Malik says a mortar fired by soldiers during the clash resulted in the deaths.

Among those killed were a colonel and a captain in the Corps.

"The soldiers were coming under machine gun fire and they were retaliating with mortar fire. But a mortar bomb missed the target and mistakenly hit their own position," Lt Gen Malik told reporters after the funeral of the soldiers in the north-western city of Peshawar.

The Akakhel area skirts the restive Darra Adamkhel tribal region in the north and the Mattani area of Peshawar in the east.

An ambush did take place there on Monday night and there was heavy exchange of fire for over an hour, local officials told the BBC.

It is not clear which group was involved in Monday's ambush but the region has been a hotbed of militant activity where several groups, such as the Taliban and the Lashkar-e-Islam group led by a former petty criminal, Mangal Bagh, are active there, the BBC's M Ilyas Khan in Islamabad says.

Pakistani forces have a heavy presence in the area. Apart from conducting military operations, they have recently restored some of the bridges and roads that were destroyed during the fighting of the past few years.

But troops are often targeted by militants linked to al-Qaeda and the Taliban.

Earlier, Khyber government official Iqbal Khan said the convoy had been returning from a mission in three vehicles when it was attacked.

He also said several of the attackers were also killed.

BBC News - Pakistan soldiers killed by friendly fire in ambush

A very sorry incident of friendly fire. I just realized that yesterday Abu Z sir had opened the thread on the same issue, concerning the ambush. I request the mods to merge the thread. Thanks.

wat the hell....friendly mortar fire????.....sorry to hear this and RIP for the dead.

A sad incident, but perhaps the Fauj should concentrate on the core proficiencies, instead of foreign policy and internal policy of ethnic and religious mischief making.

A sad incident, but perhaps the Fauj should concentrate on the core proficiencies, instead of foreign policy and internal policy of ethnic and religious mischief making.

Friendly fire artillery incidents are rare.. but not uncommon..
The latter part I dont feel is needed on this thread.. 13 men are dead.. regardless of what the army leadership promotes.
May god have mercy on their souls.

It's precisely that attitude which will ensure that the incident is not investigated and not corrected -- and it does not matter whether you think it is necessary or not, the reality is that so long as we refuse to think critically, to pose difficult and yes, impertinent questions, we are not going to get this right.

See, "what is Pakistan" thread - and unlike the "Indian not arab" thread, try not to close it because our "please no thinking" crowd don't like it.

Last night we were receiving mortar went off at a tank some were saying anti-tank mine exploded

RIP to soldiers . May Allah showers Blessings on your souls

It's precisely that attitude which will ensure that the incident is not investigated and not corrected -- and it does not matter whether you think it is necessary or not, the reality is that so long as we refuse to think critically, to pose difficult and yes, impertinent questions, we are not going to get this right.

See, "what is Pakistan" thread - and unlike the "Indian not arab" thread, try not to close it because our "please no thinking" crowd don't like it.

I really dont know if what anti-Army people think but as far as i know even minor incidents have been investigated within army and people responsible were put under appropriate actions .

RIP to Soldier.
That is why we all respect them for the sacrifices they make and danger they buy.
Occupational hazard i say ! for those who may raise hogwash on this; against army.
I am very sure like any army PA is going to investigate this incident, lesson should be learnt.

It's precisely that attitude which will ensure that the incident is not investigated and not corrected – .

why did you decide that this incident wont be investigated? What is the basis of your contention that army brass takes the death of its own personal that lightly that even an investigation wont be launched?

and it does not matter whether you think it is necessary or not,

… But it matters what you think… because you are on a crusade here.. it doesn’t matter what is the thinking of people that have a different take here.. you will just rubbish them all…

the reality is that so long as we refuse to think critically, to pose difficult and yes, impertinent questions, we are not going to get this right.

Sir, the reality is that we have a an age old tradition to show respect to the dead and we give our differences a break. You see it in civilian and military circles where the political opponents and opposing armies show their respects and salute the dead.

As far as the difficult questions are concerned, believe me they are always very blunt and honest and they are not weighted down by Shakespearian grammar.

In this very incident they will be like the following

Who made the request?
Was it the officer himself or the operator?
Who gave the coordinates?
Who took down the coordinates?
Who gave out the coordinates to the officer leading the mortar team?
Who ordered the fire?
Do the coordinates given by the requesting person match with the ones that were used by firing team? Yes / no?
What was the location of the troops when the fire was requested?
Were they too close to where they were requesting fire?
If the coordinates tally then was it the mistake of the requester to fire in close proximity?
How far off was the actual impact from the requested target?
If it was off target, Was there a malfunction in the mortar?

A thread should be closed if the debate drifts away from the subject and cant be controlled or the very subject and the contents are in breach of the forum rules.
Apart from that everyone is free to think and have an opinion like you and I are.

A sad incident, but perhaps the Fauj should concentrate on the core proficiencies,
Indeed, the core proficiencies include the art of war and adapting yourself to change.
In the other thread you took a swipe at the Pakistan army saying it has a mindset of the mid 20 century army. It might be clear for you what you are saying or maybe a select few members but it helps to elaborate for people like us what you mean.

On the face of it, let me share this with you that NATO has employed the tactics of Hannibal in the Gulf war and the BFM and ACM in the air warfare still base on the WWI and WWII dogfight tactics. There are few things that cant and should be changed. Talking about change, any army is as reluctant to change as any other organisation because there stakes are very high here why fix something that is not broken? It takes time and testing until an idea is adopted.

Re change in Pakistan army thinking it has been happening for a long time. General Baig advocated the idea of offensive defence because like him there was a strong feeling in the army that we cant fight on the lines of the Allied vs the Axis in Africa where there were large deserts and cities that didn’t natively belong to any of them and giving huge territory to later surround and defeat was just no possible in case of Pakistan. The introduction of CBQ and urban warefare in the regular army formations is another change in the current times and not the exclusive domain of SSG anymore.

Writing anymore on this will essentially derail the subject but I just wanted to point this out because your posts are consistently anti-Pakistan Army which might be very amusing & entertaining for a certain groups of members but I feel I should clarify and put my point across for the sake of an open debate.

… instead of foreign policy and internal policy of ethnic and religious mischief making.

I think that’s the domain of military and civilian intelligence agencies not the conventional army. To ensure the foreign policy and internal affairs best serve the country. As far as as the ethnic and religious mischefs are concerned, please allow me to make a tall claim now. All such masterminds are either dead or retired. You might see one or two of them coming on the television but that’s about it.

Army has lost its personal from a foot soldiers to star generals (the death of Surgeon general and the General in the Mosque in Rawalpindi).I believe and hope that army/ISI has lost the appetite for such foul play because it has fired back a lot in the shape of LeT and LeJ & TTP etc. the last such general who prided himself to be able to lecture all politicians about democracy was blown to bits when his purpose was served in ousting the Russians from Afghanistan. From his time to Kayani I do see a lot of change but yes we have a long way to go.
But lets not forget the fallen soldiers and show respect by saving our anti-army rhetoric for other threads.

RIP to brave soldiers.

"Please no thinking but ever criticize own motherland" crowd we can find in every nation & country.
This is bad luck of our nation.

I am no soldier but I think the title of this thread can do with a bit of ammendment
a friendly fire cant come from an Ambush
specially when the victims themselves requested it

I really dont know if what anti-Army people think but as far as i know even minor incidents have been investigated within army and people responsible were put under appropriate actions .

events not disclosed to general public:

1. the payment of ransom for the son in law of formed CJSC. (public money of 15 corore)
2. the court marshalled officers after GHQ attack investigtions.
3. Lahskare Jhangvi men negotiating with GHQ kidnappers.
4. NLC scam
5. identity of two men in raymond davis case (ISI tails)
6. why ISI prosecutor was appointed for victims family prosecution (raymond davis case) and where did the original lawyer go.

i am not anti army. but the army (establishment) is not ALWAYS rite. it has its mistakes and every one should be willing to understand them.

events not disclosed to general public:

1. the payment of ransom for the son in law of formed CJSC. (public money of 15 corore)
2. the court marshalled officers after GHQ attack investigtions.
3. Lahskare Jhangvi men negotiating with GHQ kidnappers.
4. NLC scam
5. identity of two men in raymond davis case (ISI tails)
6. why ISI prosecutor was appointed for victims family prosecution (raymond davis case) and where did the original lawyer go.

i am not anti army. but the army (establishment) is not ALWAYS rite. it has its mistakes and every one should be willing to understand them.

Conspiracy theories........... Our favourite time pass.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom