What's new

Pakistan should acquire Altay Tanks from Turkiye?

A1Kaid

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Let's have a discussion whether Pakistan should acquire the Altay MBT from Turkiye.

The tank is projected to have a 120 mm smoothbore gun and will be protected against chemical, biological and radioactive attacks. The planned maximum speed is set at 70 kilometers per hour, thanks to a 1,800 hp (1,300 kW) engine (the first two batches will have 1,500 hp engines), and the MBTs will be able to function under 4.1 meters of water.

The tank will benefit both from indigenously developed systems and from the armor technology of the South Korean K2 Black Panther, thanks to the agreement signed with South Korea. The candidates for the engine are German MTU Friedrichshafen and the new South Korean engine which is currently under development. The first two batches will be powered by the 1,500 hp (1,100 kW) MTU engines whereas the last two batches will be powered by an indigenous 1,800 hp engine.[9] On 16 June 2008, SSM and industry members discussed a possible participation for the development of 1,800 hp (1,300 kW) indigenous power pack for use in the armoured personnel carriers and main battle tanks produced in Turkey.

First 3D picture of Turkey’s new main battle tank, Altay, was released to public on April 7, 2010 during a press release by SSM.

Altay appears to share strong chasis characteristics with its technological base, the South Korean K2 Black Panther, with a re-designed Turkish turret and Aselsan’s state-of-the-art Volkan-III modular fire control system.
The tank will be fielded with a STANAG 4579 compatible battlefield target identification system that ensures interoperability among small tank units. The number of wheels have been increased to seven, which translates to a longer hull, heavier armor and increased survivability.

According to reports, a military envoy from Colombia was also present at the press meeting to obtain more information about the tank.[10]

Excerpt is from Wiki, you'll have to excuse. Though the footnotes link back to reputable sources, Jane's, Undersecretariat for Defense Industries, etc.

Pakistan should purchase a batch of these tanks and test them and see if they would be optimal for Pakistan's theater of war.

I do favor Pakistan acquiring at least 200 Altay MBT's for Army, they are superior to Al-Khalid and would certainly give Pakistan a decisive edge in tank warfare in the region.

ID8096_1_300.jpg

milli-tank-altay1.jpg

Pakistan and Turkiye should cooperate on this program.

Either Pakistan develop Al-Khalid 2 which may take many years and accumulate many expenses or Pakistan could acquire the Altay MBT platform in few years time.

Is it possible after acquiring Altay MBT, Pakistan could get transfer of technology and begin domestic manufacturing of the Altay MBT after license is acquired, of course a major deal has to be struck here but possibility is there.

Either Pakistan develop Al-Khalid 2 which may take many years and accumulate many expenses or Pakistan could acquire the Altay MBT platform in few years time.

Is it possible after acquiring Altay MBT, Pakistan could get transfer of technology and begin domestic manufacturing of the Altay MBT after license is acquired, of course a major deal has to be struck here but possibility is there.

If Pakistan can get them with Transfer of Technology than why not but Pakistan should keep working on indigenous AL KHALID 2 or whatever they name it

But why we need this tank ? We have enough Al-Khalids,T-80UDs, Al-Zarrars,Type 85-IIAPs etc (along with back up) ...Pakistan has been inducting Al-Khalid-I also and in couple of years..we would start inducting Al-Khalid-II Inshallah ...what is there to worry then? Also we have sufficient artillery firepower to defend our Eastern border ...We are good !

Altay is very heavy tank so can it run in subcontinent with its 65+ ton weight would be the concern . but Pakistan can benifited heavily from altay program and can improve its alkhalid II significantly .Pakistan need to find out a better solution before 2020 to counter the t-90am/ms and arjun mk2 .
di-SN0C.jpg

Altay Ballistic Hull & Turret Design(from cabalti )

Altay is very heavy tank so can it run in subcontinent with its 65+ ton weight would be the concern . but Pakistan can benifited heavily from altay program and can improve its alkhalid II significantly .Pakistan need to find out a better solution before 2020 to counter the t-90am/ms and arjun mk2 .
di-SN0C.jpg

Altay Ballistic Hull & Turret Design(from cabalti )
Pakistan should be careful about T-90 but not about a already failed project Arjun and by the way Pakistan is very close in developing the TANK and by the way I don't know about this but what about Japans latest tank Type 10 if Pakistan can 50 or 100 of those what some people have to say about that
Type 10 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taking design and technology guidance from Turkey is not bad.....but that would be extremly wrong decision if Altay Tanks purchased from Turkey rather then developing or depending on own resoruces.
Some parts of Altay from SK who would not like to share with Pakistan :tdown: [Thumbs down idea of purchase]

Altay is heavy

What we all need to recognize is that the different tanks are designed with differnt concepts in mind. Challanger,Leopred,Lecrec,Mirkava,Al-Khalid and Altey are all not the same concept. While AK is ideal for subcontenental conditions, it may not be useful for Cold climate of europe or hilly terrain where the warfare doctrine would be different. For example, Mirkava can be a formidable opponent on flatter plain, but its almost worthless in hilly terrains and deserts where already slow tank would quickly become immobile. The same goes for Altey, if it fits operational requirements of IA, sure, not a bad purchase, but if it doesn't, then there is another range waiting for selection. AK is a in a different class of tanks, its a lightweight, readily deployable tank and has its own operational doctrine.The army operating Al-Zarrar and other T series hints that one tank can't fill the shoes of all. A clear case is that Al-zarrar's were deployed in FATA and NWzT instead of Al-Khalid.

Pakistan can build such a tank by itself. No need to buy it and waste money. If ever it comes to buying then, Pakistan should buy the most sophisticated like Abraham A2, or T-90. Buying what can be built inside country is just going to hurt the economy. I am myself in favor of Pakistan getting 1000 Abraham tanks from US. After all Pakistan is doing alot and should get paid for it. Abraham tanks would be a real deterrent for Indian T-90s. This Turkish tanks is not going be any deterrent at all.

Pakistan can build such a tank by itself. No need to buy it and waste money. If ever it comes to buying then, Pakistan should buy the most sophisticated like Abraham A2, or T-90. Buying what can be built inside country is just going to hurt the economy. I am myself in favor of Pakistan getting 1000 Abraham tanks from US. After all Pakistan is doing alot and should get paid for it. Abraham tanks would be a real deterrent for Indian T-90s. This Turkish tanks is not going be any deterrent at all.
A few corrections,
1- Buying an already operational tank and customization for adaptation is more economical than developing a whole new tank.
2- T-90s parameters are at par with AK with only T-90S being slightly better.
3- Abrams failed once, US usually doesn't allow customization, add to this the possible mismatch for IA's war doctrine. While I like AK-47, I cant use it in place of an AA gun.
4- Millitary has its funds allocated, as soon as these are allocated, the economy bleeds. How to use those funds optimally is something which is next rather than anything else.
5- These threads quickly turn into (my *ick, your *ick) threads. please be considerate of the fact

Pakistan is self-sufficient in this sector; no need in my opinion to even consider procuring tanks from other countries.

what we can do is sign MoU on joint production of critical components which we are not manufacturing on our own e.g. the transmission and diesel engines which in AK's case we are having cooperation with Ukraine

Pakistan should be careful about T-90 but not about a already failed project Arjun and by the way Pakistan is very close in developing the TANK and by the way I don't know about this but what about Japans latest tank Type 10 if Pakistan can 50 or 100 of those what some people have to say about that
Type 10 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Japan doesn't export weapons. But the Type-10 is one mighty fine tank :tup:

Pakistan is better off developing the Al-Khalid II. After all, all of system's components other than the engine are indigenous.

It will be better for Pakistan if they just stick with there own Indigenious design rather than running here and there if you are so keen to get new tech so just rope in Turkey in the development of AlKhalid 2.

PA will continue to build / increase the number of AK's in its inventory. a total of 1,200 are required so there is a long way to go. meanwhile it will continue to upgrade the existing fleet with new technology.

Back
Top Bottom