What's new

Pakistan, Russia allies in every sense of word: Putin

Aeon

Reaction score
Pakistan, Russia allies in every sense of word: Putin

rrrrrrrrrrrr9000000000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

DUSHANBE (Tajikistan), Nov 25 (APP): Prime Minister Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin met here on Thursday and discussed bilateral, regional and international matters of mutual interest. The two leaders, who met here on the sidelines of the 9th SCO Heads of Government Council (HGC) hosted by Tajikistan, deliberated in detail on the prospects as well as the ways and means to further strengthen their bilateral relations through increased trade and economic interaction and cooperation in various fields. Prime Minister Gilani and Prime Minister Putin, who also discussed the situation in the region, were unanimous in the view that peace and security were vital for the enhanced economic development and prosperity of the people of this region.

During the meeting, which was scheduled for half an hour but continued for around 45 minutes, the two leaders had a frank discussion on various matters of bilateral and regional interest.

Prime Minister Gilani was assisted by Minister for Water and Power Raja Pervez Ashraf, Minister for Petroleum and Natural Resources Syed Naveed Qamar, Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir and senior officials.

Prime Minister Putin appreciated Pakistan’s efforts and sacrifices in the war against terrorism and extremism.

He said despite the global recession the bilateral trade between Pakistan and Russia had improved and picked up over the last eight months.

The Russian Prime Minister said that a number of Russian companies were interested to invest in Pakistan’s various sectors. “Pakistan and Russia are allies in every sense of words,” he maintained.

He also expressed his sympathies and condolences over the huge losses caused by the recent floods in Pakistan and said Russia was quick to respond and provided support to the Government of Pakistan in its relief and recovery efforts.

Prime Minister Gilani thanked the Russian Prime Minister for his country’s support and assistance after the devastating floods hit Pakistan in summer, affecting over 20 million people.

Gilani also extended invitation to the Russian Prime Minister for an official visit to Pakistan.

The Prime Minister recalled his last meeting with the Russian leader in Beijing in October 2009 and noted good progress in the bilateral relations, including high level contacts.

He said, ”Pakistan seeks a comprehensive partnership with Russia and is prepared to invest in developing mutually beneficial relations between the two countries for the shared goals of peace, stability and prosperity in the region.”

The Prime Minister said he believed that their interests at most of the strategic, political and economic planes converge, adding, there are complementarities that must be utilized optimally to the mutual advantage.

He said Pakistan and Russia should also consult closely on evolving new security architecture in the Asia-Pacific region as well as Greater Eurasian region.

Prime Minister Gilani suggested a bilateral dialogue between Pakistan and Russia on matters relating to peace and stability of Afghanistan.
He said the two countries must supplement the existing mechanisms between the two foreign ministries for a high / senior level dialogue on strategic and political issues.

The Prime Minister said Pakistan and Russia have had good interaction at the official level between various departments as well as at the inaugural session of Inter-Governmental Commission in Moscow.

“Our President has been participating in the quadrilateral process. We are happy that this process is now being institutionalized. We need to especially focus on our cooperation in building connectivity in trade and energy sectors”, he added.

The Prime Minister proposed that Pakistan, Russia, Afghanistan and Tajikistan should initiate consultations on quadrilateral transit trade arrangement.

Gilani said Pakistan was keen to expand its trade ties with Russia and he believed that the present volume of trade of $700 million could be enhanced to $1 billion.

He also sought increased market access to Pakistani products in Russia, adding that there had been a renewed interest in Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India gas pipeline.

The Prime Minister mentioned the signing of a new MoU on Cooperation in Oil and Gas between the two countries on November 19 during Pakistani Minister of Petroleum’s visit to Moscow and said, “We welcome the interest of GAZPROM and its subsidiaries in participating in Iran-Pakistan and TAPI gas lines projects.”

He said, "Pakistan hopes that the Russian leadership and government will endorse this participation and encourage the Russian companies to take part in these projects.”

The Prime Minister reiterated Pakistan’s interest in the purchase of MI-35 attack gunship helicopters to fight terrorism. He also proposed the signing of an MoU on Defence collaboration between Pakistan and Russia, to intensify cooperation in this important field.

Russia is most welcome to play its role of balancing and helping asia grow as an independent economic and power block.

signing an MoU on defense collaboration a is big sign of improving Pak-Russia relations.

Russia has started to sell defence products to Pakistan, but we need to have a good economic relation with Russia.

THE GAME IS ON!!

Quote my words

"THE GAME IS ON"

Russia has started to sell defence products to Pakistan, but we need to have a good economic relation with Russia.

Most of the article seems to be statements coming from Gilani. Putin seems to have stopped at allies statement and Condolences for the floods..

THis is how the Russian Govt is reporting this meeting

Prime Minister of the Russian Federation - Events - Prime Minister Vladimir Putin meets with Pakistani Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani

At a working meeting with Pakistani Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said that a number of Russian companies are interested in expanding their presence on the Pakistani market and broadening cooperation with their Pakistani partners. He also expressed his renewed condolences over the flood that ravaged Pakistan last summer.

Transcript

Vladimir Putin: Mr Prime Minister, ladies and gentlemen, I’m very glad to see you again.

First of all, I’d like to again express my condolences over the disastrous flood that ravaged your country last summer. Russia promptly responded to this disaster and attempted to supply top priority aid.

We are still affected by the aftermath of the global economic crisis. It has damaged our bilateral economic ties as well. However, the level of our trade has been recovering in the first eight months of this year. A number of Russian companies are directly interested in expanding their presence on the Pakistani market and cooperating with their partners in Pakistan.

All of us have witnessed the recent anti-terrorist efforts of the Pakistani leadership. We are your allies in this struggle without reservation. I’m very glad to see you. I hope we’ll have the opportunity to discuss all issues of our bilateral relations.

Yusuf Raza Gilani (as translated): Your Excellency, first of all I’d like to thank you for today’s meeting. After we met in Beijing in October, our relations and exchange of visits have been on the upsurge. Our oil minister visited Moscow recently, as well as the economy minister. Our relations have been developing fast.

Taking this opportunity, I’d like to thank you for your assistance during the calamities in Pakistan. About 20 million people remain homeless in our country.

We are doing all that we can to counter extremism and terrorism. We will not make any concessions. There are and will be huge human losses – our soldiers – on this road. We have lost many more lives than the NATO countries. We have also sustained economic damage. :azn:

I dont see any mention of a signed MoU on defence or Selling of defence equipment here.. Do you??

yeh hoe naa baat :rofl:

India jitna qareeb USA ke jaata hai utna qareeb Russia Pakistan ke aata hai... seems like its a magnet... that has been balanced at all times

If one nation is sidelined with other... third nation starts dealing with the fourth.... wonderful news - thanks for sharing

Oh yes, Russian investment was always welcome by Pakistanis... during 1970s and in 2000s

Thanks to India's latest friendship with USA that brought us closer to Russia and made us deals easy indirectly from Chinese sources

Its no longer a secret that the Russian companies are willing to invest in Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline too and they are willing to fund it so its a long way to go for the new Pakistan-Russia friendship

yeh hoe naa baat :rofl:

India jitna qareeb USA ke jaata hai utna qareeb Russia Pakistan ke aata hai... seems like its a magnet... that has been balanced at all times

If one nation is sidelined with other... third nation starts dealing with the fourth.... wonderful news - thanks for sharing

Oh yes, Russian investment was always welcome by Pakistanis... during 1970s and in 2000s

Thanks to India's latest friendship with USA that brought us closer to Russia and made us deals easy indirectly from Chinese sources

I think Pakistani media has gone on an overdrive.. They seem to be taking lessons from India TV or Aaj Tak it seems ;)

See the Russian reports on the meeting above..

foxbat said:
All of us have witnessed the recent anti-terrorist efforts of the Pakistani leadership. We are your allies in this struggle without reservation. I’m very glad to see you. I hope we’ll have the opportunity to discuss all issues of our bilateral relations.

Kya spin kiya hai bhai !! :woot:
foxbat said:
I think Pakistani media has gone on an overdrive
And this is APP (Associated press of Pakistan) similar to our PTI!!! :woot:

The article says PM Gilani "proposed" signing of an MoU... It does not mention "signed." All you have to do is read...

^^^^^^^
Guys, relations b/w countries is not a zero sum game...World has changed...Today there are talks about Russia joining the NATO Missile Defence Shield....Good relations of Russia and Pakistan does not mean Indo-Russian ties are downhill....even though i can see that pakistani media has given it a good spin yet even if we take this news on face value, i do not see anything wrong in it....

To my Pakistani friends, it will take some considerable time before Pak-Russia relations can improve at a meaningful level....though good to see Pak is trying to improve her geo-political foot print...

This is positive. Now Russia can also contribute to countering the growing problem of terrorism in south Asia apart from the obvious trade and economic relations. As opposed to what Pakistani friends think here, we Indians welcome this; More engagement in the region means more hands for the same work which is good.

I mean who would have though NATO would invite Russia to join missile shield 20 years ago!? :woot:

Russia is an independent player and has all the rights to seek diplomatic ties with as many countries in any manner that benefits them. Today's world is for all. :)

I think Pakistani media has gone on an overdrive.. They seem to be taking lessons from India TV or Aaj Tak it seems ;)

See the Russian reports on the meeting above..

Zaki ^ you almost killed me with your pj.

I am talking about the improving relationships of both countries. Obviously it will never sideline India... but just telling the fact and balance of relationships between all 5 nations (Pakistan, India, Russia, China and USA)... If one edges towards another... 3rd reacts automatically

See there was a change of policy in USA towards India couple of years ago (probably 5-6 years ago) and there goes the first President of Pakistan to visit Russia after 30 years... remember Musharraf's tour to Russia in 2003?

The US-India relationships started taking shape and there comes Russia's Prime Minister in Pakistan after 38 years :woot: and that too for 3 official days.... you can imagine what he would be discussing in 3 days :woot:

Remember that visit?

Next... There were talks of Russia-India military purchases.... and the disconnected relationships of Pakistan and Russia started to form once again when they revised there policy and allowed the Russian engines for Pakistan military aircraft JF-17? remmeber? One could imagine a collaboration of Pakistan-Russia in economic sector but here comes the defence purchases too

Next there were bilateral meetings between the both nations since past 7 years and has met on different places including Pakistan, Afghanistan, CARs countries, Turkey, China and Russia itself... and we never experienced regular course of dialogue between the both nations in the 60 years history of Pakistan....The Russians proposed investment in our country's infrastructure including Pakistan railway, steel mill, Iran-Pakistan pipeline and road constructions etc.

Now comes another meeting.... and its increasing day by day.... it has never happened in past... just trying to connect the chain

Can somebody count the number of meetings we had with Russia in past 7 years? its too many i guess. Obviously it will not sideline India for the sake of Pakistan, but the world has totally changed... even the enemies like to maintain good relationships with each other during peace time

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom