What's new

Pakistan Reaches Out for Russian Arms

We have a lot of homemade stuff, but we need high tech from outside, if our R&D continue like this we would be self sufficient in next decade.

why dont we go for something european? we cannot trust uncle sam and we cannot trust the quality of russian equipment. so why not shop in europe?

Because a lot of the Euro equipment share parts with American equipment and would suffer under any embargo. Others such as the French tend to have have higher asking prices due to the fact that they are trying to defray development costs.

We have a lot of homemade stuff, but we need high tech from outside, if our R&D continue like this we would be self sufficient in next decade.

The Pakistani R&D funding is poor, Pakistan needs to develop its R&D capabilities more it at the moment Pakistan is heavily dependent on forign equipment. There is still a long way to go for Pakistan probably couple of decades before it has much more established economy I believe by 2025 Pakistan will have advanced capabilities to desing and develop by it self.

Poor?
Considering the low budget I'd say its been more than effective and provided us with a lots of latest technologies.
But otoh I agree that more funds are needed.

Poor?
Considering the low budget I'd say its been more than effective and provided us with a lots of latest technologies.
But otoh I agree that more funds are needed.

That has happened recently, however, in the past the Pakistan defence budget was huge have a read.

--------------------------

Pakistan recently unveiled a 1.09 trillion rupee (USD $18.16 billion) national budget for 2005-2006. The budget increased defense expenditures from 194 billion rupees in 2004-2005 to 223 billion rupees, a rise of more than 15%. Spending on development will also rise, and the overall increase in expenditures is 21%.

The largest single item is for the country's debt payments, which amount to more than 300 billion rupees. The government also vowed June 6 to undertake a wide network of roads, dams and other infrastructural work under the 272-billion-rupee Public Sector Development Program.

The moves will be financed by a combination of tax revenue increases and borrowing. Pakistan's GDP rose by 8.4% in 2004-2005, the highest recorded in 20 years.

Sources and Additional Readings

* Agence France-Presse: Pakistan Hikes Defense Spending by 15.5 Percent

* A Brookings Leadership Forum (June 9, 2005 in Washington, DC) - The U.S.-Pakistan Relationship: Challenges and Opportunities with Khurshid M. Kasuri, Minister for Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. Transcripts are ususally posted several days after the event.

* DID (June 06/05) - Pakistan Requests $1.3B Defense Package

* DID (Feb. 28/05) - China's Defense Budget PRepares for Double-Digit Growth

* DID (Feb. 28/05) - Slower Growth for India's Defense Budget [~7.8%]

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/2005/06/pakistans-defense-budget-rises-155/index.php

---------------------------------------------------------

The money put in to the Defence is variable depending on situations its peace times with India now however, if the countries education system was more developed the need for extraspending in R&D would be slightly less. This just recent that Pakistan has just developed a small sector of companies that are now able to compete with the Pakistani defence ordnance and are selling there products indepdently to Middle east, europe, america and Pakistan.

actually he is right the price of the j-10 is $41.6 million i researched it in many websites

It is far toooooo expensive as it can be easly comparebale with the f-16. The f-16s unit cost is only $20 million.

actually he is right the price of the j-10 is $41.6 million i researched it in many websites

This can't be true, Su-30MK comes at $40 million per unit, China is much cheaper. FC-20, PAF version of J-10 will be somewhere between $30-35 million due lots of western avionics and subsystems, Russian AL-31FN TVC Turbofans and probably an AESA radar.

I 'd love to know where that price came from. Since there have been no foreign sales.

The F-16 price mentioned is for a base model F-16. It doesn't include MLU's and the assorted extras included in the deal.

J-10s Cost $41.5million. Whereas the F-16 Block15 Costs $26million. Now I have confirmed the price of Block 60 is $75 million so the price of Block 50/52 which Pakistan is receiving would be close $60million.

What Happend if russians denied the Engine and other Avionics suits sales to Pakistan ..
Can China play heres the KEY role ..

This can't be true, Su-30MK comes at $40 million per unit, China is much cheaper. FC-20, PAF version of J-10 will be somewhere between $30-35 million due lots of western avionics and subsystems, Russian AL-31FN TVC Turbofans and probably an AESA radar.

If the Price diffrence is so little between SU series and J-10 why dont we go for the SU's they are already tested and reliable aircraft and also handfull to establised some good relations between Russia and Pakistan:disagree:

Defense Security Cooperation Agency
NEWS RELEASE
On the web: http://www.dsca.mil Media/Public Contact: (703) 601-3670
Date: 28 June 2006 Transmittal No. 06-09
Pakistan – F-16C/D Block 50/52 Aircraft
On 28 June 2005, the Defense Security Cooperation Agency notified Congress of a possible Foreign Military Sale to Pakistan of 36 F-16C/D Block 50/52 Aircraft as well as associated equipment and services. The total value, if all options are exercised, could be as high as $3 billion.
The Government of Pakistan has requested a possible sale of:
Major Defense Equipment (MDE)
36 F-16C/D Block 50/52 aircraft with either the F100-PW-229 or F110-GE-129 Increased Performance Engines (IPEs) and APG-68(V)9 radars;
7 spare F100-PW-229 IPE or F110-GE-129 IPE engines;
7 spare APG-68(V)9 radar sets;
36 Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing Systems;
36 AN/ARC-238 SINCGARS radios with HAVE QUICK I/II;
36 Conformal Fuel Tanks (pairs);
36 Link-16 Multifunctional Information Distribution System-Low Volume Terminals;
36 Global Positioning Systems (GPS) and Embedded GPS/Inertial Navigation Systems;
36 APX-113 Advanced Identification Friend or Foe Systems;
36 Advanced Integrated Defensive Electronic Warfare Suites without Digital Radio
Frequency Memory (DRFM) or AN/ALQ-184 Electronic Counter Measures pod without DRFM or AN/ALQ-131 Electronic Counter Measures pod without DRFM or AN/ALQ-187 Advanced Self-Protection Integrated Suites without DRFM; or AN/ALQ-178 Self-Protection Electronic Warfare Suites without DRFM and
1 Unit Level Trainer;
Associated support equipment, software development/integration, modification kits, capability to employ a wide variety of munitions, spares and repair parts, flight test instrumentation, publications and technical documentation, CONUS-personnel training and training equipment, U.S. Government and contractor technical and logistics personnel services, and other related requirements to ensure full program supportability will also be provided. The estimated cost is $3 billion.

Given its geo-strategic location and partnership in the Global War on Terrorism (GWOT), Pakistan is a vital ally of the United States, as reflected in the June 2004 designation of Pakistan as a Major Non-North Atlantic Treaty Organization Ally. This proposed sale will contribute to the foreign policy and national security of the United States by helping an ally meet its legitimate defense requirements. The aircraft also will be used for close air support in ongoing operations contributing to the GWOT.

Now this is from the DSCA website. You can see that the 81 million figure is incorrect. It does not allow for associated extras that are included

Ok, so how much does it cost, I got the 82 figure from keypub

Back
Top Bottom