Pakistan ranks 60th at Global Hunger Index

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan ranks 60th at Global Hunger Index
Staff Reporter

ISLAMABAD: As the world celebrates annual World Food Day on October 16 with a vow to ensure the availability of food for all, Pakistan is ranked at 60th (GHI-P score 0.219) followed by Bangladesh 42nd (GHI-P score 0.444) and India 33rd. (GHI-P score 0.496).

According to the Global Hunger Index Progress Indicator (GHI-P), it is said that like other countries of Saarc region such as Bangladesh, India and Nepal, Pakistan is lagging behind to achieve the GHI targets.

A statement released by the Network for Consumer Protection Tuesday says the country is still struggling to ensure the availability of adequate food to its people.

This year's theme for World Food Day is 'The Right to Food', which highlights a basic human right that is often ignored as extreme scarcity of food continues to afflict more than 850 million people across the world.

Easily affordable food is not being provided to consumers, mainly to due to high prices. A main source of affordable food is street food, which is a midday meal for a vast majority of working class, including daily wage workers, labourers, lower middle and middle class. Due to soaring prices access to food is beyond the financial capacity of a common man, said the Network. According to the Federal Bureau of Statistics (FBS) the food prices witnessed a surge by 8.4 per cent in September. "This index provides particularly comprehensive measure of the three indicators in 115 developing countries; child malnutrition, child mortality, and estimates of the proportion of people who are underweight," said The Network.

"While Pakistan is working at a slower pace to eliminate hunger from the country as compared to India and Bangladesh," it added.

Dr Talib Lashari, executive coordinator of The Network for Consumer Protection, opined that soaring prices and shortage of food could seriously impede progress on the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), specifically the first goal, which pledges to eradicate poverty and hunger and fourth goal which is aimed at reducing child mortality till 2015. Dr Lashari stressed the need for revamping the health sector to achieve the MDGs.

He further said that according to the GHI-2007 about one fourth of the population of the country was suffering from malnutrition and one third of children under five years of age were underweight.

Dr Lashari urged the strict implementation of the Food laws to ensure an access to hygienic food for all.

Islamabad News

Resurgent India goes to bed hungry
14 Oct 2007, 1234 hrs IST,PTI
Resurgent India goes to bed hungry-The United States-World-The Times of India

WASHINGTON: India may be the second fastest growing economy in the world but it still has a long way to go in eradicating hunger where it is ranked at 94th position well behind neighbouring China and Pakistan, a global report says.

According to the latest Global Hunger Index 2007 from International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), although India has improved its score of 25.03 on the index compared to 33.73 in 1990, it is lagging behind China and Pakistan ranked at 47th and 88th positions, out of the total list 118 countries, respectively.

During 1990-2007 period, China bettered its score to 8.37 from 12.77 while Pakistan improved to 22.7 from 25.73.

The index is mainly based on proportion of undernourished in the population, prevalence of underweight in children under five years and those under-five mortality rate.

"One in seven people go to bed hungry every day. That's 854 million people worldwide. Hunger is one of the world's major problems and therefore one of its most important challenges," say the report's authors.

Besides, India's score on the progress indicator of the Global Hunger Index is 0.496. The country managed to reduce hunger by 8.7 since 1990 whereas the reduction target is 17.6 for the period from 1990-2015.

Libya is at the top of the list with a score of 0.87 this year whereas it had a score of 2.70 in 1990.

Sorry, mate but we need to measure every thing on even scale.

So another d*** measuring contest?

When you can compare fighter with a fighter, you should compare poverty with a poverty in another country.

It helps us all. Give some attention to those people too.

Purchasing billions of dollars of arms from both sides is easy as going for a drive through at McDonalds!

The wisest, and the smartest country wins.

I understand that population of India is going at the speed of light, but the country will soon stabilize itself.

Recently, i saw an interview on how an Indian father had to sell his daughter to get blood for his young born son, in order to keep him alive.

The realities are there, but we call it a "dick measuring contest", yet what the "dick measuring contest" is by the officials from both sides.

Spending $5 billion on a 5th generation fighter programme and working on a 4th generation fighter which will have no success, makes us all sad, when someone is hungry and cant eat a single bread.

Even what you call enemy shell weep, over the innocents across the border.

The index is mainly based on proportion of undernourished in the population, prevalence of underweight in children under five years and those under-five mortality rate.

Pakistan can do much better than current ranking since undernourishment isn't fully connected to poverty but also to feeding pattern of the children.
Simple changes in the daily menu could improve nourishment and health of millions of children.

So another d*** measuring contest?

Well the best way to get a sense of improvement is to have comparisons, both with past rankings and indicators of yourself, as well as with others who are in similar situations/brackets. One cannot for example, have a pessimistic outlook on life by contrasting Pakistani socio-economic indicators with Japan, nor can we allow ourselves to be content with our progress, when comparing it to some central African countries.

Comparisons with countries in South Asia do make sense, if only to get an idea of whether we have done enough.

When you can compare fighter with a fighter, you should compare poverty with a poverty in another country.

Fighters are going to be used against each other whereas Poverty is ones own headache. Indian poverty hasn't got anything to do with Pakistan or vice versa but ofcourse, MKI or JF-17 can be used against the other country. Should I say it is humourous or ridiculous that everytime the word hunger or poverty is mentioned, some posters here jump to find corresponding figures from the neighboring country. This might subside the heartburns here seeing the neighbor in a mess aswell but it cannot provide any kind of nourishment to the people who are in need of food.

Sorry, mate but we need to measure every thing on even scale.

Why do you want to turn the number of starving people into an ego contest?

Have we run out of things to compare now? Even d*** size is better!!

What amuses is that 94th position is highlighted in red in the 2nd post while 88th position seems like a pride or a good postion since its not highlighted....

But for me if it's not more than satisfactory then i can not say its worst either. if Indian reduction target is 17.6 for the period from 1990-2015. That way India reduced hunger by 8.7 points since 1990 gives hope.

At the same time Pakistan improved by ~3 while china by ~4.5 points in the same duration if you insist on comparing.

its not that I am saying Pakistan is doing bad or India is doing good here...But the good thing is that we are improving . Poverty is not something that you uproot in a year or two...it takes time.

Members involved in P***ing Contest should should see the indexed point improvements if they insist.

We have long way to go and lots of hard work to do....by the way any one of you personally involved in Poverty reduction program here ? I doubt...

Should I say it is humourous or ridiculous that everytime the word hunger or poverty is mentioned, some posters here jump to find corresponding figures from the neighboring country. This might subside the heartburns here seeing the neighbor in a mess aswell but it cannot provide any kind of nourishment to the people who are in need of food.

I dont understand. Why do you people (indians) are so ashamed of poverty in India? It is a global phenomena. Every other person in the world has a right to remove poverty in any nation. So it matters to us.

Why do you want to turn the number of starving people into an ego contest?

Have we run out of things to compare now? Even d*** size is better!!

Ego contest? What makes you think it is an ego contest? Or it really hurt your feelings because we want to discuss poverty of your super power nation?

What amuses is that 94th position is highlighted in red in the 2nd post while 88th position seems like a pride or a good postion since its not highlighted....

Stop assuming things.

Members involved in P***ing Contest should should see the indexed point improvements if they insist.

What pissing contest are you talking about? :lol: Highlighting a fact that India is way behind in poverty compare to Pakistan and China is a pissing contest for you? It should be a reality check, an statement to pursue contribution to decrease poverty in your nation.

We have long way to go and lots of hard work to do....by the way any one of you personally involved in Poverty reduction program here ? I doubt...

Dont be narrow minded. You dont know anyone on this forum.. Really!

Even what you call enemy shell weep, over the innocents across the border.

Webby, with all due respect to your feelings...If i were in your place i would not had spent my precious time in weeping but utlilized the same time in doing something at personal level for my own country..in your case Pakistan.
As per report pasted here
In Pakistan according to the GHI-2007 about one fourth of the population of the country was suffering from malnutrition and one third of children under five years of age were underweight

See if you can wipe out your tears and help the poor in Pakistan...the smile on their faces would make sure that you have no time for weeping over their misfortune.

I have no time to weep for their misfortune because the same time is spent in doing the hard work (getting them education free of cost) for Poor kids and families to see the smiles on their faces

P.S: Webby ,There is nothing personal against you here.

See if you can wipe out your tears and help the poor in Pakistan...the smile on their faces would make sure that you have no time for weeping over their misfortune.

I have no time to weep for their misfortune because the same time is spent in doing the hard work (getting them education free of cost) for Poor kids and families to see the smiles on their faces

We do our best to make sure that poors can live happily, and most of them are. At least they are able to eat, and live. It is in our religion to make sure, that our neighbor never sleeps without eating anything due to financial problems. I am sure Muslims in India effect the lives of millions of Hindus that way.

In Pakistan according to the GHI-2007 about one fourth of the population of the country was suffering from malnutrition and one third of children under five years of age were underweight

That might indeed be true. However, personally in my opinion it has less to do with poverty. Pakistani children (who ever i have seen) are always born underweight, and their weight increases substantially over the months. As oppose to other countries like United States/UK. It has more to do with nutrients i believe. I am sure the same is the case of India, i am sure you agree.

P.S: Webby ,There is nothing personal against you here

None taken. Its a platform for awareness and knowledgeable gain.

Cheers :cheers:

Dont be narrow minded. You dont know anyone on this forum.. Really!
May be you are correct...as i did see of mocking the Indian poverty situation but no one raised a concern over poverty in pakistan...

Indeed you are correct....I dont know anyone on this forum

May be you are correct...as i did see of mocking the Indian poverty situation but no one raised a concern over poverty in pakistan...

There was no mocking as personally taken by you. I think it just comes naturally, and i probably would have take in it a same way, but i dont think those were the intentions. The intentions were to show that we are better than Indian poverty at MAX.

If no one was concerned about Pakistan poverty in this forum, the article wouldn't have been posted, and other related things in background wouldn't have been done.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom