What's new

Pakistan offers to help train Libyan Army

I think many here are too focused on the military, and not other aspects. Pakisatan is economically weak and has always needed the help of others. This not even mentioning economic sanctions.

Giving basic military training is relatively cheap but not many countries (even rich ones) can do this to a high standard, it's the reason Pak Mil are so sought after in the Gulf. This is a cheap yet effective way to help Libya and to stick two fingers up to the UAE.

This is likely in response to all the anti-Pakistan moves the UAE has been making. It's probably a warning to the Arabs that Pakistan can get involved in Arab affairs, and make things very difficult for the Emiraties.
And the Arabs already have an idea of how efficient we are when we get involved in matters, Afghanistan being the prime example. They'll probably take a beating and come back to negotiating.
Moreover, we might not be facing the weak Arab militaries but Israel itself which could be doing the dirty work.

Last edited:
I think it's actually bigger than that.

The recent Israel normalization trend has really accelerated the split of the Middle East and basically has caused a situation where now nobody can stay neutral anymore. Pakistan tried it's best to stay neutral for as long as could but Israel normalization was a clear red line we were not willing to cross. There is really no middle ground on this issue, it is a yes or no question and for Pakistan that is no.

So basically this forced all of the countries of Middle East to reveal their cards and show the big power brokers what side they were really on.

So now on one side you have countries who either recognize Israel officially or unofficially. On the other side you have countries that do not recognize Israel and are forming a separate coalition. Pakistan has ultimately decided that in spite of its differences with Turkey and Iran on certain issues, in the long term Pakistan has more unity in common with Turkey and Iran in terms of geopolitical alignment than with Arabs.

So basically now it is Israel/Arabs/India vs Turkey/Iran/Pakistan.

It is a long game and it will be interesting to see which alliance comes out on top in the long term.
Agree with what you said but there is no Iran/Turkey/Pakistan team.
On one side there's the Arabs with their zionist friends
On one side there's the Turks and Azeris
On one side there's Iran and their proxies.

We have to choose among these three, and looking at popular Pakistani opinion its gonna be Turkey.

Exactly what I was thinking. Seems like Pakistan is starting to take more active role in regional conflicts. First Azerbaijan, then Syria, now Libya. Very intriguing. Good way to take out revenge on Khaleeji Arabs via proxy and gain some leverage over them by force.

What we did in Syria ? How are we participating ?

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but I getting the feeling that this is Pakistan telling the Arabs to stop making anti-Pakistan moves, or else. I'm pretty sure Pakistan's civil and military leaders are tired of being financially blackmailed, and this is their warning shot.
Libya is important we had strong ties at gaddafi era and lot of pakistanis working their in oil industry

Libya is AS important if not more ..

So we had to make a move ..

Obvioulsy joining a dictator rather then UN govt is not an option
I think some of you guys are reading too much into this. We have extensive COIN experience, in modern times probably more than anyone else. It makes sense that we'd be amongst the people the Libyans would be talking too.
COIN against who...?
You know that the opposition is emiratis

Libya is important we had strong ties at gaddafi era and lot of pakistanis working their in oil industry

COIN against who...?
The emiratis are cannon fodder.

COIN against who...?

So? If it was up to me the Emirate would be a desert again by now. These people have been working against us for decades. If the UN recognised gvt of Libya wants us to help train them to destroy the forces of Haftar, that is exactly what we need to do. Let the GNA fight Haftar to the last terrorist. There is nothing the Emirates can do about it.

Good opportunity for Pakistan to build strong ties with Libya, this shouldn't be limited to just military, arab / North africans countries can become a strong export market for our fruit,veg and meat.

The recent Israel normalization trend has really accelerated the split of the Middle East and basically has caused a situation where now nobody can stay neutral anymore. Pakistan tried it's best to stay neutral for as long as could but Israel normalization was a clear red line we were not willing to cross. There is really no middle ground on this issue, it is a yes or no question and for Pakistan that is no.

So basically this forced all of the countries of Middle East to reveal their cards and show the big power brokers what side they were really on.

So now on one side you have countries who either recognize Israel officially or unofficially. On the other side you have countries that do not recognize Israel and are forming a separate coalition. Pakistan has ultimately decided that in spite of its differences with Turkey and Iran on certain issues, in the long term Pakistan has more unity in common with Turkey and Iran in terms of geopolitical alignment than with Arabs.

It is a long game and it will be interesting to see which alliance comes out on top in the long term.

with israel comes america and the rest of europe

In case this does happen that we land in the Turkish bloc, Pakistan should start purchasing Turkish F-16s as they get retired.

Ek tw hamari army ko sb ka abba bn nay ka bara shoq hai. Middle East is a mess, better to stay away. We have enough problems of our own to deal with.

If UAE is going to blackmail Pakistan and use its leverages, why shouldn't Pakistan do the same where it can?
I think some of you guys are reading too much into this. We have extensive COIN experience, in modern times probably more than anyone else. It makes sense that we'd be amongst the people the Libyans would be talking too.

The issue is that UAE is openly supporting the opponent forces to the Government, financially and militarily. So for Pakistan to even offer training to Government troops is a direct clash with UAE and Gulf states in Libya.

Note sure if this is being over blown. Could just be routine gov to gov dialog. Timing is very interesting though.

Back
Top Bottom