What's new

Pakistan Navy’s shelling of Dwarka in 1965 War

TO paksitanis

1] What was the objective of Dwarak mission
2] what all was destroyed ?
3] did the objective prove detrimental later on ?

1.Destroy Indian moral: HAPPENED
2.Indian Navy got scared Shitless
3.All Military operations don't go as planned

End of the story

1.Destroy Indian moral: HAPPENED
2.Indian Navy got scared Shitless
3.All Military operations don't go as planned

End of the story

1. Maybe The indian farmer's morale was "destroyed" because the shells hit some crops
2. Indian Navy got scared? really? :rofl: I find it hard to believe the same navy ruthlessly annihilated its opponent 6 years later
3.Navy was not involved in any "Military operations"

This is from Wiki

"On September 7, a flotilla of the Pakistan Navy under the command of Commodore S.M. Anwar, carried out a bombardment of the Indian Navy's radar station coastal down of Dwarka, which was 200 miles (300 km) south of the Pakistani port of Karachi. Operation Dwarka, as it is known, is a significant naval operation of the 1965 war[55][56][57] contested as a nuisance raid by some.[58][59] The attack on Dwarka caused the Indian Navy led to questions being asked in India's parliament[60] and subsequent post-war modernization and expansion, with an increase in budget from Rs. 35 crores to Rs. 115 crores"

If this Op wasnt that a Big deal then why the Parliamentary Inquisition?
Moreover, if anybody could shed some info on this. Did bomb raides at or near Karachi specifically and in the southern front in general actually decreased after Operation Dwarka or not? Becasue as I understand a radar installtion used for guiding indian bombers was the target.
Plus, why didnt the IN retaliated

This is from Wiki

"On September 7, a flotilla of the Pakistan Navy under the command of Commodore S.M. Anwar, carried out a bombardment of the Indian Navy's radar station coastal down of Dwarka, which was 200 miles (300 km) south of the Pakistani port of Karachi. Operation Dwarka, as it is known, is a significant naval operation of the 1965 war[55][56][57] contested as a nuisance raid by some.[58][59] The attack on Dwarka caused the Indian Navy led to questions being asked in India's parliament[60] and subsequent post-war modernization and expansion, with an increase in budget from Rs. 35 crores to Rs. 115 crores"

Moreover, if anybody could shed some info on this. Did bomb raides at or near Karachi specifically and in the southern front in general actually decreased after Operation Dwarka or not? Becasue as I understand a radar installtion used for guiding indian bombers was the target.
Plus, why didnt the IN retaliated

Seems that you have not read through the thread. Take the trouble to read post#41 for instance, you may be more enlightened.
BTW, sometimes WIKI is not worth the paper its written on; refer to it with care. Hell, WIKI is not even written on paper!! :azn:

Now about the claim that you quote from WIKI about the significance of the raid on Dwarka. You can try to work that out by totting up the damage wrought by it. On the factual evidence- very little!

Now compare that with the effects of a similar raid on Karachi in 1971:

1971 War Lessons

Located in the south-east corner of Pakistan Air Force Base Faisal off Karachi's main Drigh Road, the facility is hidden well away from prying eyes. PNS Mehran has stood proud serving the Pakistan Navy since being formally commissioned on September 1975, with only eight officers and four sailors.

Like any other Navy, Pakistan's sea-going vessels require protection while patrolling Pakistan's coastal waters, although some defense is provided by the ships onboard systems, they are still vulnerable to air-attack - as the 1971 India-Pakistan war highlighted. During that 13-day war, the Pakistan Navy lost two navy ships. PNS Muhafjz and PNS Khyber, seven gunboats, one minesweeper; the Coast Guard lost three patrol craft.

Some 18 civilian cargo, supply and communication vessels were also destroyed. Three merchant navy ships were captured and the naval base/dockyards in Karachi severely damaged. Around 1,900 personnel, naval and civilian lost their lives. For Pakistan, it was a disaster.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakistan-navy/41-pn-news-discussion-9.html#ixzz26RD9KRYN

Can you discern any difference in the significance?

Seems that you have not read through the thread. Take the trouble to read post#41 for instance, you may be more enlightened.
BTW, sometimes WIKI is not worth the paper its written on; refer to it with care.

Post#41 doenst has anything to explain the parliamentary inquiry and the immediate effects on the southern front vis-a-vis any bombing raids.

Off-topic: The reason WIKI is quoted because it provides diverse references, from opposite and nuetral sides as its sources, and therefore, expected to present an unbiased picture. So its safer to quote a piece from WIKI than any source that is Indian or Pakistani, becasue these could and probably would be baised. This essentailly is a No-Brainer.

On-Topic: Anybody else kind enough to clarify:

Post#41 doenst has anything to explain the parliamentary inquiry and the immediate effects on the southern front vis-a-vis any bombing raids.

Off-topic: The reason WIKI is quoted because it provides diverse references, from opposite and nuetral sides as its sources, and therefore, expected to present an unbiased picture. So its safer to quote a piece from WIKI than any source that is Indian or Pakistani, becasue these could and probably would be baised. This essentailly is a No-Brainer.

On-Topic: Anybody else kind enough to clarify:

No, there was no Parliamentary Inquiry, there were questions raised in Parliament, just as questions are always raised in Parliament. Did you find the inquiry report?
As for the rest; try to research what was the significance/importance of Dwarka. What were the assets based in Dwarka, IAF, IN and IA? What could be the purpose of Dwarka to further the military aims? While you are at it, pick up a geographical atlas and most of all refer to some coastal and harbor charts (nautical Maps) of the area because that will help you to understand it. And you will (this is the important part) make your own assessment of the raid and its effects and its significance. Having done that, maybe you will get some gen. on it and I'll consider (knowing what I do about the IN then and later) help you to plug your gaps.

I still stand by what I said about WIKI, while it can use multiple sources of information; they can still be (eventually) multiple sources of mis-information.
So diversity is NO GUARANTY of accuracy! :)

I know about this Dwarka shelling very well... My Dadajee was in Dwarka only .. He laughs uncontrollably while recounting the incident...

by the way , your "dadajee" looks awesome in your avatar , that one with the white beard ... :rofl:

now wonder why he's still laughing (as shown on your dp.) while remembering that incident ... :lol:

MuZammiL Dr. s[1]n;3415131 said:
by the way , your "dadajee" looks awesome in your avatar , that one with the white beard ... :rofl:

Offending somebodies family members and laughing about it shows your culture .............

MuZammiL Dr. s[1]n;3415131 said:
now wonder why he's still laughing (as shown on your dp.) while remembering that incident ... :lol:

The reason why he is laughing is because your armed forces never stops performing blunders ...........

Back
Top Bottom