What's new

PAKISTAN NAVY PROCURES WS-61 SEA KING HELICOPTERS FROM QATAR

Likely AW-159 to be produced, AW-101 cannot fit on MILGEM without modifications to hangar and helipad.
Pakistan Navy prefers AW 101. That is what I have heard
Bhai jaan, you started the Topic - you posted the tweets too.

In all the excitement, you didn't read the 2nd tweet. It clearly indicates 10.

I was talking about Z 9 D helicopters which are coming also. I think 6 of them will come.

The commando version is the one am excited for excellent for our marines.Also Aw159 a solid choice a better model of the British Lynx no if's and but's. It is a proper solid fast moving ASUW helicopter.But still there are plenty of options. Hope in the not to distant future we standardise on one platform be it the Aw139 or Partner up with the Turks on their Gokbey plan.All in all good choices all round.

No news yet on Qatar interest in jf-17 announced by their ambassador a few months ago unless all is happening in the background

Pakistan Navy prefers AW 101. That is what I have heard

I was talking about Z 9 D helicopters which are coming also. I think 6 of them will come.
Yes but where will they use the 101? They already bought Sea-kings in that category and Milgems cannot fit them, Milgems need AW159. AFAIK Pakistani Milgems are not getting a larger hanger or helipad.

The AW101 is a great helicopter but I currently don’t see it fitting in with the PNs requirement.

Last edited:
No news yet on Qatar interest in jf-17 announced by their ambassador a few months ago unless all is happening in the background
Qatar is only interested in JF-17B for LIFT purposes iirc. They have not inducted any other platform for that role yet so I would assume the interest is still there. Maybe they are waiting for their new fighters (EF Typhoon) to arrive from Italy first.
Aw-159 is nothing but modified British Lynx which pn had and were retired early ans trying to sell but not sure was successful or not
Pn had six seaking in anti surface /sub role ans added 4 more for pure transport with the loss of one should be 9 add 5 anti su/sub and 5 again transport meaning doubling both types

also all new ships Turkish ,damen and chines can accommodate medium tonnage heli types so let’s see
AW-159 isn’t just a “modified British Lynx”, it’s a proper modern helicopter (much newer than the AW101 infact) with good ASW/ASUW capabilities. The difference is like AH-1F and AH-1Z, same design but the latter is obviously not old like the former.

The Turkish and Damen ships cannot accommodate a helicopter the size of the AW101 afaik. And the Chinese ones already have Z-9D coming. So AW159, Z9-D and More sea kings seems to be the plan for now, however as stated by others the navy has been surprising us a lot recently, I could be entirely wrong, and I wouldn’t even mind 🤣

Last edited:
I wish Air force get the same treatment as navy, for decades Navy was the weakest arm of Armed forces but in couple of Years they will be a strong force.

Yes but where will they use the 101? They already bought Sea-kings in that category and Milgems cannot fit them, Milgems need AW159. AFAIK Pakistani Milgems are not getting a larger hanger or helipad.

The AW101 is a great helicopter but I currently don’t see it fitting in with the PNs requirement.
What I am hearing is Navy is trying for AW 101. That is their first preference at all costs. Then it would be the other one if that doesn't happen.

T800 Engine could be the issue with the AW159. As fate would have it, it is the same engine US is denying us for the T-129 Heli from Turkey.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom