What's new

Pakistan navy post 2020 - Future Plans

Take a simple example, if possible, what would Pakistan choose: F-35A, or F-35C?

The whole assumption that somehow J-15 is like F-35C is not correct. J-15 has a whole history of modifications to become a Carrier based jet.

It does, as it is based on SU-33, which itself was carrier specific.

I respectfully disagree to the extent that J-15 can only operate from a Carrier.

Attachments

• J-15.JPG
    J-15.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Ideally, we need to have three surface flotillas. As I have mentioned in one of my other posts, One flotilla, will be required to patrol the approaches to KHI (the most equipped) , the other Gawadar and straits of Hormuz, and the third one to interdict enemy cargo traffic coming up from Gulf of Aden or keeping an eye on the Omani Ports. The fourth will take over the wild card role or the fire brigade role so to speak.

That is why i feel we will have atleast one more fleet replenishment ship in the force.
Most likely what you said will become reality(my guess) , In 2025 PN will have 4 Type-54 frigates and 4 Type-22P (total target of frigates 12) so we may see 4 to 8 more of them , my guess is 4 more type 54(around 2030) and 4 FT-2000 from Turkey again around 2030 (so 8 Type 54 and 4 TF-2000 total 12) .
And in 2025 we may also see first order of 2 Type 52-Ds.

Well right now as I see it, the independent flotilla will be centered around a single Type 54 frigate with 1 each of Milgem & F22P rounding off the group with a Fleet Replenishment Ship in tow.

The Eastern most group will have a need for more AA cover in the shape of 2 x Type 54 Frigates instead of one, 2 Milgems instead of 1 Milgem & 1 F22P.

Western most group might have Land based Air Cover with LRMP with 2 F22P's and 2 x Damen Corvettes, but properly fitted out for AShM & ASW duties rounded off with Azmat FAC's.

The Southern most group seems weak to me with 1 Type 54, 1 x Milgem & 1 x F22P with a Fleet Replenishment Ship. This group will certainly lack Air cover and will have to patrol independent of land based fighters. Ideally i would have liked to see another type 54 be part of this group and another Milgem instead of the F22P

I think Pakistan will increase Type 54 order to 6 Ships also of Jinah Class (MILGEM) to 6. And I also think Pakistan may not keep F-22 and sell them to Algeria and than focus on getting some new heavy Frigate from either Russia or France or SIGMA or some where else. Type 52 D will come for sure.

I think Pakistan will increase Type 54 order to 6 Ships also of Jinah Class (MILGEM) to 6. And I also think Pakistan may not keep F-22 and sell them to Algeria and than focus on getting some new heavy Frigate from either Russia or France or SIGMA or some where else. Type 52 D will come for sure.
The PN will probably keep the F-22Ps until at least 2040, but they may look to construct additional Jinnah-class frigates (to replace the F-22Ps) through the 2030s. However, I don't think we'll see more than 12 frigates in the 2,000-4,000 ton class. Most of the damage the PN can inflict on the PN will come from submarines, so it doesn't make sense to invest too much in surface ships (besides low-cost corvettes and fast attack crafts).

The only real scope for additional surface warships might be 2 ships in the 5,000+ ton range, but armed with long-range anti-air warfare (AAW) and land-attack capabilities. These can serve as flagships to each squadron (which can have 2 054A/P and 4 F-22P and/or MILGEM).

The PN will probably keep the F-22Ps until at least 2040, but they may look to construct additional Jinnah-class frigates (to replace the F-22Ps) through the 2030s. However, I don't think we'll see more than 12 frigates in the 2,000-4,000 ton class. Most of the damage the PN can inflict on the PN will come from submarines, so it doesn't make sense to invest too much in surface ships (besides low-cost corvettes and fast attack crafts).

The only real scope for additional surface warships might be 2 ships in the 5,000+ ton range, but armed with long-range anti-air warfare (AAW) and land-attack capabilities. These can serve as flagships to each squadron (which can have 2 054A/P and 4 F-22P and/or MILGEM).
In surface ships the difference is way to high and I two years ago talked to some Naval guy and few others even than the minimum number they gave of Frigates which they would like to have or let say main surface ships was 20. So the things Rafi has mentioned at least for surface ships I see them happening.

Maybe the German option with a commercial jet airliner option is favourite, ie think ATR with but on a new bigger jet aircraft with MAD.

what about putting either the German or the Swedish options on the Airbus A220. It’s a flexible design that currently comes in A220-100 and A220-300 variants, with an A220-500 model planned (6000 km max range). We can buy them to rebuild PIA as a more efficient airline serving domestic, medium haul and even routes as far away as Britain with this design (the 500 variant), and by sharing it across our navy and Air Force; it can serve as the future platform for a tanker, AWACS, and MPA.

PN's future plans (in the short-to-medium term) should include:

Surface Fleet:
  • Acquisition of 4 × heavy frigates with long-range AD capability (like Admiral Gorshkov-class) to serve as group command ships.
  • MLU of F-22P Zulfiquar-class frigates to incorporate 16-cell VLS and sensor/radar enhancements.
  • Acquisition of two additional 2300t Damen corvettes (total= 4), equip with ASuW, ASW and PDMS/CIWS capability.
  • Acquisition of 6 × FAC's (like FAC-55).
  • Arming MRTP-33 Zarrar-class FAC's with SSM's.
  • Acquisition of 3 × MCMV's.
  • Acquisition of two additional replenishment oilers (like PNS Moawin).
Submarine fleet:
  • Development & deployment of long-range SLCM for Khalid-class and Hangor-class submarines.
  • Development of SLBM (if Hangor-class comes with VLS).
  • Acquisition of 3 × mini-submarines.
Aircraft fleet:
  • Conversion of two additional ATR-72's to RAS 72 Sea Eagle MPA.
  • Acquisition of multi-mission helicopters (like AW101).
Coast based defences:
  • Acquisition of modern coastal radars - replacement of Argos 73.
  • Deployment of mobile Harbah and supersonic SSM batteries. Development & deployment of ASBMs with NSFC.
  • Indigenous development of medium-range SAM system, deployment alongside coastal SSM batteries, ports & shipyards, bases / installations, other VA/VPs.

I know there is talk of retiring the Type-21 Frigates. But if with minimal modifications if these Frigates can be utilised for another 10 years that would be great for the PN since PN needs good Frigates in good "numbers".

I know there is talk of retiring the Type-21 Frigates. But if with minimal modifications if these Frigates can be utilised for another 10 years that would be great for the PN since PN needs good Frigates in good "numbers".

One is slotted to go to pmsa after mod per one of modp report few years back not sure of the idea is dropped , others may end up as spare source

PN's future plans (in the short-to-medium term) should include:

Surface Fleet:
  • Acquisition of 4 × heavy frigates with long-range AD capability (like Admiral Gorshkov-class) to serve as group command ships.
  • MLU of F-22P Zulfiquar-class frigates to incorporate 16-cell VLS and sensor/radar enhancements.
  • Acquisition of two additional 2300t Damen corvettes (total= 4), equip with ASuW, ASW and PDMS/CIWS capability.
  • Acquisition of 6 × FAC's (like FAC-55).
  • Arming MRTP-33 Zarrar-class FAC's with SSM's.
  • Acquisition of 3 × MCMV's.
  • Acquisition of two additional replenishment oilers (like PNS Moawin).
Submarine fleet:
  • Development & deployment of long-range SLCM for Khalid-class and Hangor-class submarines.
  • Development of SLBM (if Hangor-class comes with VLS).
  • Acquisition of 3 × mini-submarines.
Aircraft fleet:
  • Conversion of two additional ATR-72's to RAS 72 Sea Eagle MPA.
  • Acquisition of multi-mission helicopters (like AW101).
Coast based defences:
  • Acquisition of modern coastal radars - replacement of Argos 73.
  • Deployment of mobile Harbah and supersonic SSM batteries. Development & deployment of ASBMs with NSFC.
  • Indigenous development of medium-range SAM system, deployment alongside coastal SSM batteries, ports & shipyards, bases / installations, other VA/VPs.
I wish we could customize the 054A/P with the Result. As it stands, the only difference between it and MILGEM/MLU-ed F-22Ps are more VLS cells and maybe OTHR

Otherwise, should look to add 2 frigates in the 5,000+ ton class with long-range AAW.

Back
Top Bottom