What's new

Pakistan navy post 2020 - Future Plans

Just as Tomcat, J-15 is designed for Carrier. Shah should have opted for F-15 to provide cover for their planned F-16s, he just got sold on Phoenix AAM and cool swept wing design ( nightmare to maintain for small airforce. )

if PN / PAF has money $ to throw around then bless you, go for J-15, else go for J-16.

PS: Neither J-15/J-16 are for export, but we can still discuss them.

Kakaji, you were only referring to American LHD.

I was saying that the American AAS/LHD are better than Type 071....which we shouldn't go for since it holds lesser number of troops, lesser air support and lesser armament.

Please tell me where I used the word "buy" in the post below. :D

I even said that the Chinese are working on the Type 75, which should be the goal for PN, not the Type 71. It doesn't have to be exactly a Type 75 but in this case, bigger displacement means more stuff can be put inside it (troops, air support, vehicles etc) and on it (air support; helis, jets, drone tankers) etc etc.

With all these new toys, the PN will finally become a offensive force.

Especially if PAF/PN work on VTOL aircraft/drones that can use the Amphibious Assault Ships and then use them as tankers/refuellers to fuel surrounding aircrafts like JF-17's, F-16's & any other aircraft.....thus creating a moving base in the middle of the ocean off the coast of Western (maybe Eastern?) India; 200-400 km+ off so as to keep some distance where we can attack them punitively but they can't do any major damage to the AAS and the surrounding flotilla.

The Wasp & American class AAS are better than Type 071 imo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America-class_amphibious_assault_ship
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasp-class_amphibious_assault_ship

Each can carry 1.5k+ troops, have better armament & can carry 5-10+ aircrafts/helis.....whereas the Type 071 only carries 600-800 troops & 4 helis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_071_amphibious_transport_dock

Even the Chinese are moving onto the Type 075; 2nd in displacement to the American AAS/LHD's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_075_landing_helicopter_dock

Ideally, we need to have three surface flotillas. As I have mentioned in one of my other posts, One flotilla, will be required to patrol the approaches to KHI (the most equipped) , the other Gawadar and straits of Hormuz, and the third one to interdict enemy cargo traffic coming up from Gulf of Aden or keeping an eye on the Omani Ports. The fourth will take over the wild card role or the fire brigade role so to speak.

That is why i feel we will have atleast one more fleet replenishment ship in the force.
Yep, but I think they'll probably post FACs for Gwadar (there was a requirement in 2016 for 4~6 new ones specifically for Gwadar). They might even consider corvettes, but I don't think they'll dedicate a frigate force currently as most of the trade still flows through Karachi.

Overall, the PN is on track for two frigate squadrons, and I think each one could potentially get a destroyer or 5,500+ ton frigate with long-range anti-air warfare (AAW). In other words, there's still a scope for 2 big ships before 2030, but I don't think much else.

What about 11 subs? How will they be splitted?
It's the silent service, so we'll never know, nor should we :)

How will be the localization of such an extensive and ambitious modernization plan... Or are we going to by 80% of the shelf?
Based on the current procurement roadmap, it's practically all off-the-shelf (besides select subsystems and weapons). But the nature of ships is that you can 'localize' design and manufacturing, but will still end up importing most of the subsystems and inputs (steel, engines, electronics, etc). Unless Pakistan invests in manufacturing those core inputs indigenously, most of these projects will involve a significant proportion of imports.

But if we can get at least a bit deeper down the chain, e.g., integration, ship design, ability to choose inputs from any supplier, and much more, we can reduce the overall cost quite a bit without compromising quality. It won't be indigenous, but not as much as a strain on our foreign currency than buying straight from an OEM.

Based on the current procurement roadmap, it's practically all off-the-shelf (besides select subsystems and weapons). But the nature of ships is that you can 'localize' design and manufacturing, but will still end up importing most of the subsystems and inputs (steel, engines, electronics, etc). Unless Pakistan invests in manufacturing those core inputs indigenously, most of these projects will involve a significant proportion of imports.

But if we can get at least a bit deeper down the chain, e.g., integration, ship design, ability to choose inputs from any supplier, and much more, we can reduce the overall cost quite a bit without compromising quality. It won't be indigenous, but not as much as a strain on our foreign currency than buying straight from an OEM.

I would love to see Pakistan start from hull construction a bit similar to how Indian navy has progressed in its procurement efforts..
Maybe our future procurement is gonna be linked to the new gwadar shipyard 2025+
But the current procurement plan seems very interesting in terms of finance and PNs traditional role as the neglected branch of the armed forces

Why J-15 if no carriers?

J-15 doesn't need a Carrier to fly. In fact, it was heavily modified to be used on Carriers. It has AESA, good serivce range, can carry a bucket load of weapons, and hence will give PN/PAF the ability to strike IN much deeper. The other option is of course J-16.

J-15 doesn't need a Carrier to fly. In fact, it was heavily modified to be used on Carriers. It has AESA, good serivce range, can carry a bucket load of weapons, and hence will give PN/PAF the ability to strike IN much deeper. The other option is of course J-16.
Take a simple example, if possible, what would Pakistan choose: F-35A, or F-35C?

Back
Top Bottom