What's new

Pakistan navy post 2020 - Future Plans

I wish we could customize the 054A/P with the Result. As it stands, the only difference between it and MILGEM/MLU-ed F-22Ps are more VLS cells and maybe OTHR

Otherwise, should look to add 2 frigates in the 5,000+ ton class with long-range AAW.

I am hoping for 4× heavy frigates customized / designed by PN/MTC/KS&EW using the ToT gained through the now US$ 1.5 billion Jinnah-class frigate program.

They should aim for maximum indigenous content to reduce foreign dependency by using own ship design, CMS, SSMs, VLS, medium-to-long range SAMs, torpedoes, etc. And, invest in local manufacturing of ship-grade steel.

I am hoping for 4× heavy frigates customized / designed by PN/MTC/KS&EW using the ToT gained through the now US$ 1.5 billion Jinnah-class frigate program.

They should aim for maximum indigenous content to reduce foreign dependency by using own ship design, CMS, SSMs, VLS, medium-to-long range SAMs, torpedoes, etc. And, invest in local manufacturing of ship-grade steel.
What are the so-called heavy frigates in the world now?

Agreed. If they bought the design rights, they should have bought expertise to design a 5,000+ ship using those fundamentals (much like Turkey did with the MILGEM Ada in designing the I Class and TF-2000). However, if this is the goal, then MTC better have started on the work already.

@Gryphon We should aim to design something in the size of the Type 31e's Arrowhead 140:

Displacing around 5,700 tons and measuring 456 feet in length, the new platform is much larger than both the light frigate originally envisioned and the aging Type 23s it will replace in service.

https://news.usni.org/2019/09/23/arrowhead-wins-cost-battle-in-u-k-type-31-frigate-competition

Last edited:
Agreed. If they bought the design rights, they should have bought expertise to design a 5,000+ ship using those fundamentals (much like Turkey did with the MILGEM Ada in designing the I Class and TF-2000). However, if this is the goal, then MTC better have started on the work already.

@Gryphon We should aim to design something in the size of the Type 31e's Arrowhead 140:

Displacing around 5,700 tons and measuring 456 feet in length, the new platform is much larger than both the light frigate originally envisioned and the aging Type 23s it will replace in service.

https://news.usni.org/2019/09/23/arrowhead-wins-cost-battle-in-u-k-type-31-frigate-competition

Yes, in the 5000-6000 ton range. I am optimistic as development of indigenous SAM and supersonic SSM for PN is ongoing, as reported by Defense News and MoDP respectively.

If indigenous content in MTC-designed ships hits close to 50% in terms of FE value, it will a real achievement for the local defense industry. In this regard, PN will need to:
  • Invest in ship-grade steel manufacturing, or push the govt. to invite FDI into this sector.
  • Major elements in the weapons suite incl. SSMs, SAMs and torpedoes all locally sourced.
Upto US$ 550 million was spent on -84L Harpoon Block II purchases in the last decade, which came with strings attached.

What are the so-called heavy frigates in the world now?

The term is still used, for ships smaller than destroyers.

"Key features include a vertical launch system with 24 Sea Ceptor anti-air missiles, Bofors 57mm Mk 110 gun (already in U.S. Navy service), two Bofors 40mm Mk 4 guns (instead of the widely-expected Phalanx close-in-weapon system), four boat bays, a flight deck and hanger for a Merlin helicopter or two Wildcats, and a mission space beneath for four 20ft containers."

MTC is no more designing ships. Admiral Abbassi has done a great feat by setting up the First Pakistani Naval Design House, called NRDI, Naval Research & Design Institute, and have put together the brains of Pakistan Navy to absorb ToT programs and centralize future ship and submarine design. This, in time, will provide great benefits to PN and once fully supported by the Industry and Private Sector, will make Pakistan a Naval Ship and Submarine exporter, God Willing.

MTC is no more designing ships. Admiral Abbassi has done a great feat by setting up the First Pakistani Naval Design House, called NRDI, Naval Research & Design Institute, and have put together the brains of Pakistan Navy to absorb ToT programs and centralize future ship and submarine design. This, in time, will provide great benefits to PN and once fully supported by the Industry and Private Sector, will make Pakistan a Naval Ship and Submarine exporter, God Willing.

Following the footsteps of PAF, i.e., the AvDI. :pakistan:

It could get further help by producing more and more ships in Pakistan. Every Ship and Submarine deal should be with TOT and some of them produced in Pakistan.

It could get further help by producing more and more ships in Pakistan. Every Ship and Submarine deal should be with TOT and some of them produced in Pakistan.
In fact, Pakistan can learn the lessons of Indian navy.

India prefers ToT and "Make in India". But in reality, India basically builds the hull, and then assembles key units from Israel, USA, France, Russia, and so on.

Without your own industry, ToT is meaningless.

India prefers ToT and "Make in India". But in reality, India basically builds the hull, and then assembles key units from Israel, USA, France, Russia, and so on.

TOT will help us build our industry. We are already producing Missile and big patrol boats and even oil tanker in Pakistan.

Already is the case. Karachi Shipyard is fully booked for next 10 years, and two more Shipyards are being considered for the country.

Indian Scale and Model is still not practical for us.

TOT will help us build our industry. We are already producing Missile and big patrol boats and even oil tanker in Pakistan.

ToT, combined with indigenization, deletion, and promotion of local industry for defence production is slowing coming around.

Last edited:

Correct my friend.....We got TOT for the Agosta's but did not have the industrial base....

In fact, Pakistan can learn the lessons of Indian navy.India prefers ToT and "Make in India". But in reality, India basically builds the hull, and then assembles key units from Israel, USA, France, Russia, and so on.Without your own industry, ToT is meaningless.

Hi,

When you get TOT---you do not need to manufacture the item just because you know how to---.

It is the KNOWLEDGE that you are after---. That knowledge takes your understanding of the machine---operating the machine and fixing and upgrading that machine to a totally different level---.

TOT teaches you how the machine is made in a certain manner and why it is made in the manner---.

Now my process of thinking is at a higher plateau---. So when I go visit my chinese brother and place an order of Type 39---my chinese brother is listening very keenly to what I am saying---so where did our TOT knowledge go---!!!

Back
Top Bottom