What's new

Pakistan Navy P-3C Orion Thread

Has the navy revealed the extent of damage to these planes? I dont think a bunch of terrorists can completely destroy a whole plan in the face of heavy opposition

if it is reported that they are destroyed then i dont see why u would ask that question

Most of the news reports I read said the planes were targeted and didnt give much details. If there are other reports which said the planes are destroyed, then it must be right

Refrain from getting personal, as I am of not in the same Level as that of you to damage the level of Intensity The Debates Happen Here, Coastal surveillance as I said before is a Vital role which every Country must Exercise.A Country needs complete operational picture of the sea ,round-the-clock to detect an Intrusion which should not necessarily Be from your immediate neighbors, It can be Even from Anti Social Elements, You need to Have these to Protect your Own Merchant Vessels In case of an Emergency, There are thousand other Para War roles Which it undertakes, But you happen to be obsessed with only one country, While the latter has just watched The Games as a Distant Neighbor.
why else do you think we have american orions for??....US them self or Iran??....lets be honest about it here.... Pakistan army at the moment and as well as navy and air force are only really worried about india at the moment more than anything else.....and that is because of your cold start thing.....this topic is i think going very much off topic here....so in simple and short....we are here for you....you are our neighbor...and for the next 5 years we will continue to have an India directed armed forces......orions dont really spot Somali pirates for targeting and destroying their subs!!

Coastal Surveillance is as Important as It is in Blue water , Dont be India Centric all the Time, Forgetting about your own Coasts...Threat is not only from India

Coastal?

P-3c Orion Range
- Ferry: 4,830 nmi (8,944 km)
Lockheed P-3 Orion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Mission radius: 2,380 nautical miles (= about half the ferry range)
- Mission radius, with three hours on-station at 1,500 feet, 1,346 nautical miles.
The US Navy -- Fact File: P-3C Orion long range ASW aircraft

Just to give an idea of how far that is:
Karachi - Mumbai (India) 470.3 Nautical Miles
Karachi - Muscat (Oman) 479.3 Nautical Miles
Karachi - Mysore (India) 917.3 Nautical Miles
Karachi - Kuwait City (Kuwait) 1054.8 Nautical Miles
Karachi - Colombo (Sri Lanka) 1295.3 Nautical Miles
Karachi - Aden (Yemen) 1441.9 Nautical Miles
Karachi - Mogadishu (Somalia): 1848.6 Nautical Miles
Karachi - Nairobi (Kenya): 2351 Nautical Miles
Karachi - Dar Es Salaam (Tanzania): 2472.2 Nautical Miles

^^^...good stats....it is never a coastal plane......it is for long endurance....it had a record flight time of 21 hours i think....radar range is another issue.

Next, compare to the zones where pirates attacks used to occur (lightest orange color: 2005) and where they currently do (darkest orange color: 2010): Sea Lines of Communications in darker blue.

There's an obviously increased peacetime usefullness of Pakistan's P-3c's out to the Aden-Colombo line. Notice the route going into Karachi from approx. Salalah, Oman (last stop of Alamgir/McInerney on the way to Pakistan).

800px-Somalian_Piracy_Threat_Map_2010.png

Hi res

In relation to chokepoints in the main Sea Lines of Communication in the Indian Ocean:

Indian_SLOC.jpg

Tu-95 Bear
(Ferry) Range: 7,800 miles (12,550 km)
Tu-09 MS Bear
(Ferry) Range: 15,000 km (8,100 nmi, 9,400 mi) unrefueled
Tu-142M3 Bear-F MPA
Combat/operational radius: 6,500 km (3,454 nmi, 3,977 mi)

Il-38 May
(Ferry) Range: 9,500 km (5,130 nmi, 5,937 mi)

P-8 Poseidon
Operational Radius: 1,200 nmi (2,222 km) with 4 hours on station

Il-38 May and P-8 Poseidon both appaer to have similar of or maybe just slightly better range/staying power than P-3C. Tu-142 on the other hand has considerably longer range/staying power by comparison.

hi every1, cant we have alternate of orien frm china or france or any other country if we r finding it tht difficult to get frm USA?

Alternatives are there but these P3-C have better reconnaissance capabilities. Our pilots always preferred US aircrafts due to their capabilities.

Mods: please merge this and other P3C threads into a single one?

Note: India operates the Tu-142 and Il-38 May (and in future the P-8I Poseidon) for similar purposes. That is to say, any PN naval forces venturing out to sea would pretty much face similar challenges as described above, and without cover by long-ranged land-based A/C with tanker support like the Sukhois mentioned in the article.

Bullshyt propaganda. As if P8I won't change the balance.

Bullshyt propaganda. As if P8I won't change the balance.

The 8 modernized Tu-142M and 5 remaining Il-38SD (there used to be 7) currently operated by IN are capable aircraft. Induction by PN of a number of additional P-3C Orions and modernization brings the PN force more on a par with the IN force. The 12 P-8 Poseidon ordered will initially complement but ultimately replace the current force of (aging) Tu-142M and IL-38SD. It being a new generation A/C, I doubt that P-8i will be less capable than modernized P-3Cs, although such modernization should also not be underestimated (IN was offered modernized P-3 alongside P-8, so the mod P-3 must have met IN's minimum requirements in order to qualify for the competition in the first place). Also consider that the total IN LRMPA fleet used to number 15, now numbers 13 and goes down to 12. And with that IN has to cover both its west and east coast. So, lets say the situation remains balanced for now.

Back
Top Bottom