What's new

Pakistan Navy | News & Discussions.

Pakistan Navy saves 9 Indian crew members after ship drowns | Aug 2022

Last edited:
They received some modifications but not the Mid Life Upgrade.
Can you clarify what modifications were done?

I'm wondering if the mystery SAM on the OPV-II is the same one... IRIS-T SL/SLM.
I am wondering who is doing logistics for Pak Military if they go for IRIS-T SLM. It just makes zero sense to me when the nation operates HQ-16 (Land and Sea) and will be operating CAMM-ER why they would add a 3rd variant to the mix? Especially from a cost effectiveness standpoint to drive the unit costs for down for weapons, you deploy them in numbers. Additionally, the CAMM-ER while larger (4m vs 3m and 190mm diameter vs 130mm) is a longer range missile.

Lastly, i dont see the acquisition of IRIS-T because to my knowledge (and please correct me if im wrong), IRIS-T is not navalized. That is to say i dont believe any nation has deployed it on ships. There is a sub launched variant called IDAS but i doubt it is for surface vessel use. It has land based variants (SLS and SLM) but i haven't found (in a cursory search) any ship launched model, nor any naval customer. All German ships use either SM-2/ESSM or two 21cell RAM mk2.

I think any SAM on a DAMEN will have to be Albatross NS/CAMM-ER as it will be married to the SMART-S mk2 like on the Baburs. Whether these see their way to F-22P, Im not sure, but given Algerian C-28 corvettes (which were based on F-22P) operate Thales' SMART-S mk2, i would imagine any future MLU for the F-22P include a GENSIS Advent Upgrade with Aselsan's SMART-S mk2, Alper LPI radar, the Advent CMS, Ares-2NC ECM or GIDS Rebat ECM, and Hizir torpedo countermeasures and subsequently see a replacement of the FM-90 with Albatross NG. (probably 12-16 single cells). I would prefer an 8 cell Sylver A50 but it doesn't seem ti be in the cards. I imagine we could also see replacement of the 8 C-802A with 6 Harbah or CM-302 as well.

Last edited:

Can you clarify what modifications were done
Most visible being the sensor dome.
IMG_20220814_174610.jpg

I think any SAM on a DAMEN will have to be Albatross NS/CAMM-ER as it will be married to the SMART-S mk2 like on the Baburs
Agree. 1X6 cell or 2X4 cell module shall be ample.
, i would imagine any future MLU for the F-22P include a GENSIS Advent Upgrade with Aselsan's SMART-S mk2, Alper LPI radar, the Advent CMS, Ares-2NC ECM or GIDS Rebat ECM, and Hizir torpedo countermeasures and subsequently see a replacement of the FM-90 with Albatross NG. (probably 12-16 single cells). I would prefer an 8 cell Sylver A50 but it doesn't seem ti be in the cards. I imagine we could also see replacement of the 8 C-802A with 6 Harbah or CM-302 as well.
That's a comprehensive package but will be subjected to Chinese approval and availability of funds.
We should also look at humble option. Like simple replacement of FM-90 with PMDS, and upgrades in EW and defensive countermeasures. In same line as PLAN upgraded their only pair of Type-54.
IMG_20220814_175608.jpg

Most visible being the sensor dome.View attachment 870621

Agree. 1X6 cell or 2X4 cell module shall be ample.

That's a comprehensive package but will be subjected to Chinese approval and availability of funds.
We should also look at humble option. Like simple replacement of FM-90 with PMDS, and upgrades in EW and defensive countermeasures. In same line as PLAN upgraded their only pair of Type-54.
View attachment 870624
Yeah, an update with two 24 cell launchers (akin to how the German ships are utilizing RAM- 1 in front, 1 in rear over the hangar) would be the cheaper route... More likely 1 launcher like the Type 054s.

1661134638019.png

Pakistan Navy Ship TAIMUR visited Colombo, Sri Lanka as part of Goodwill and Flag Showing mission. Upon arrival at port vicinity, Pakistan Navy Ship was welcomed by Sri Lankan Naval units and received by Defence Attaché of Pakistan at Colombo and Officials of Sri Lankan Navy. On this occasion, the military band of Sri Lanka played tunes as part of welcome gesture.

View attachment 872506

Pakistan Navy Ship TAIMUR visited Colombo, Sri Lanka as part of Goodwill and Flag Showing mission. Upon arrival at port vicinity, Pakistan Navy Ship was welcomed by Sri Lankan Naval units and received by Defence Attaché of Pakistan at Colombo and Officials of Sri Lankan Navy. On this occasion, the military band of Sri Lanka played tunes as part of welcome gesture.
Nice looking ship.

PAK NAVY INDUCTS 2ND 054 A/P MULTI ROLE FRIGATE PNS TAIMUR IN PN FLEET | Aug 2022​

Last edited:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom