What's new

Pakistan Navy | News & Discussions.

Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Muhammad Amjad Khan Niazi exchanging views with Secretary General of Defence Armaments Lt General Luciano PORTOLANO at Naval Headquarters Islamabad.

1637759588488.png

Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Muhammad Amjad Khan Niazi exchanging views with Secretary General of Defence Armaments Lt General Luciano PORTOLANO at Naval Headquarters Islamabad.

View attachment 796379

Think this is his second or third visit, maybe here to inaugrate new navy choppers like AW139>

View attachment 796379
tbh the CNS looks pretty excited. Sounds like something got cleared, approved, is on offer, or is getting married.

4 Italian Made Frigates would be nice addition with support helicopter package but one can only dream (100% speculative statement from my end)

We have constructed decent cooperation with Italy
  • With Support Helicopters for Land Operations
  • Recent talk of Missiles for Frigates
  • Past deals involving SPADA SAMs
Any Ships bought from Italy would be icing on cake

However with Pakistan investing in "Milgem Class" and "Jinnah Class" Designs the ship purchase would be highly unlikely

The excitement could be just talk of Helicopter Package (NAVY Versions) for future Frigates which could be possible
While Leonardo is an Italian company, the naval helicopter is more a UK issue. The AW159 and AW101 are both built mostly in the UK. I'm sure the licenses for those are already in place. But this convo with Italy's defence official is likely in reference to what Italy focuses on, i.e. ships, subs, armoured vehicles, and small arms.

Italy have stepped it up big , since the SPADA2000 days it was a high value acquisition in the 90's
The trust and cooperation between Italy/Pakistan has only grown every decade

They themselves have undergone a impressive Airforce modernization (Typhoon and Now F35) and Navy is also being upgraded with Latest Ships @ heavier Destroyer level grade

Interesting Dynamic that F35 was given to Italy and Turkey were not given F35

Last edited:
I think for ships already we are getting decent equipment from Turkey/China, amd Jinnah class will keep us occupied here. Nothing significant the Italians can provide that Turkey and China cannot in terms of hulls.

Where Italy excels is Helciopters, missiles, electronics and radars. Basically much of the stuff that actually goes onto the hulls.

I would think long range SAMS (other then CAMM-ER), ship radars and AW159

Things will get more interesting now that India has removed Leonardo from it's blacklist. They will be doing their utmost to play spoilers. Was hoping they would keep their stupid policies bit longer
IMO it won't affect things much. Neither India or Pakistan are relying on Leonardo for something super specific they can't get from other suppliers.

Pakistan Navy Ship ALAMGIR visited Port of Algiers, Algeria as part of Overseas Deployment. On arrival nearing the port, Pakistan Navy Ship was welcomed by Algerian Navy Ship and warmly received by Defence Attaché of Pakistan at Algeria along with Algerian naval officials.

1637935475520.png

1637935505185.png

1638036677873.png

Interior Minister, Sheikh Rashid visiting PN Base Ormara , The Minister was received by Rear Admiral Javed and reviewed Zulfiquar class guided missile frigate, PNS Shamsheer.

Back
Top Bottom