What's new

Pakistan Navy | News & Discussions.

3 MPAs, are you sure ?

I thought PN had 2 P-3Cs and 2/3 Atlantics as MPA.
They can (and will) upgrade the F-22Ps. The hulls are solid enough, and we have no problems with buying a new sensor and electronics suite. Between the 054A/P, MILGEM and F-22P, we're looking at 12 ships in the 2,000+ ton displacement range, which is a relatively large fleet I think (plus the 3 Agosta 90B + 8 Hangor SSPs). This isn't even including OPVs, FAC(M), Mini-SSKs, etc.

Sure, but at what point do you decide that is it worth literally stripping the whole thing down to the shell and reinstalling new systems from the ground up? It was a short sighted move on behalf of the PN to go for the 053H3 platform, id argue with the induction of new ships they become a liability. While yes, the hull itself is probably capable of far nicer sensors and weapons, could the potential cost be worth it? Im certain it would be more economical to procure a new ship along the lines of J-Class or a follow up 054A/P order. Though, the latter would be costly, it would be sensible for the PN to reduce the amount of platforms and have one or two mainstay's (054 and J-Class) in the weight class while having Azmat and Azmat based platforms below. Maybe if PN decides they want a corvette they could look at Sigma or whatever. I guess it all comes down to the quality and the overall costs of the hull, how much life they have left, is it worth it vs a new platform? etc etc

I would count the F-22 as modern. OHP has been upgraded and has good ASW capability and Harpoons. It is no joke of a ship. Certainly when considering much of IN fleet is from 70s and 80s

While yes, OHP is a pretty capable platform, looking at the current threat environment, relying on a CIWS for defence against targets such as the Brahmos could be disastrous, you are still going to have X tons of hypersonic shrapnel flying towards you, heck, even somehow begging uncle sam for SEARAM or whatever could be a pretty solid option, unless somehow we manage to equip them with MK41/ESSM like the Turks did.

Sure, but at what point do you decide that is it worth literally stripping the whole thing down to the shell and reinstalling new systems from the ground up? It was a short sighted move on behalf of the PN to go for the 053H3 platform, id argue with the induction of new ships they become a liability. While yes, the hull itself is probably capable of far nicer sensors and weapons, could the potential cost be worth it? Im certain it would be more economical to procure a new ship along the lines of J-Class or a follow up 054A/P order. Though, the latter would be costly, it would be sensible for the PN to reduce the amount of platforms and have one or two mainstay's (054 and J-Class) in the weight class while having Azmat and Azmat based platforms below. Maybe if PN decides they want a corvette they could look at Sigma or whatever. I guess it all comes down to the quality and the overall costs of the hull, how much life they have left, is it worth it vs a new platform? etc etc
IMHO ... The 054A/P and MILGEM-J are sufficient 'heavy' and 'light' multi-mission ships. We should really be devoting resources to expanding the MILGEM-J fleet while raising localization with each tranche. To end the MILGEM-J program with anything less than a total of 8x ships (by 2040) would be inexcusable IMHO.

The only thing we may need down the line is (1) upgrading the 054A/P with a long-range SAM and (2) potentially 2 6,000+ ton DDG-type vessels with serious anti-air and land-attack capabilities.

For me the 'dream fleet' would be x2 DDGs, 4x 054A/Ps, and 8-12x MILGEM-Js (build as many MILGEM-Js as possible as we own this design).

The most important thing which PN and Pakistan require really badly is a fully fledged Naval Air arm of about 50 fighter jets in the class of J-11 or J-15 or J-16. This alone will decimate not only any Indian Naval advantage, but any other country in this entire region. THIS IS WHAT PAKISTAN NEEDS REALLY BADLY.

The most important thing which PN and Pakistan require really badly is a fully fledged Naval Air arm of about 50 fighter jets in the class of J-11 or J-15 or J-16. This alone will decimate not only any Indian Naval advantage, but any other country in this entire region. THIS IS WHAT PAKISTAN NEEDS REALLY BADLY.
I get the urgency, but IMHO, if the PN wants its own fighter wing, it should pool together with the PAF on the FGFA.

If the PAF opts into the FC-31, the PN could pull for the J-35 variant. You'd have some measure of commonality, but more importantly, the J-35 would be a true marinized design (e.g. protecting against salt-corrosion, etc).

I get the urgency, but IMHO, if the PN wants its own fighter wing, it should pool together with the PAF on the FGFA.

If the PAF opts into the FC-31, the PN could pull for the J-35 variant. You'd have some measure of commonality, but more importantly, the J-35 would be a true marinized design (e.g. protecting against salt-corrosion, etc).

Yes logically this should be the ideal route but time is the enemy, and I would not be surprised if in the next few months we will start hearing about a fighter jet or jets being procured for PN.

Yes logically this should be the ideal route but time is the enemy, and I would not be surprised if in the next few months we will start hearing about a fighter jet or jets being procured for PN.
J 35 would be Naval version of J31 70 million per copy pretty expensive as par with F35 price wise

PN will not have its own air arm. It does not make any operational sense to operate one combat squadron under PN, and they are unable to operate anything more at the moment.

PN will not have its own air arm. It does not make any operational sense to operate one combat squadron under PN, and they are unable to operate anything more at the moment.

They would need 3 squadrons and PN needs their own Air Arm for protection of surface fleets from aerial threats.

They would need 3 squadrons and PN needs their own Air Arm for protection of surface fleets from aerial threats.

Actually if it is just for maritime air defence than 3 Type 055 DDGs would be the best bet. Armed with HHQ-9 even just docked in Karachi harbour they can provide air defence and ABM defence.

Navy to the rescue
IMG-20200828-WA0001.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom