What's new

Pakistan Navy | News & Discussions.

Sea Platforms
China lays keel for Pakistan Navy’s second Type 054A-class frigate
Gabriel Dominguez, London - Jane's Defence Weekly
25 March 2020

China held a keel-laying ceremony on 23 March at the Hudong Zhonghua shipyard in Shanghai for the second of four Type 054A-class frigates on order for the Pakistan Navy (PN).

The contract for the first two of these frigates is believed to have been signed in 2017 and a further contract for two more ships was announced in June 2018, when it was also indicated that delivery of all four ships was expected to be completed by 2021.

Work has also begun on the third and fourth frigates of the class, which the PN refers to as the ‘Type 054 A/P’, with a steel-cutting ceremony being held for both these ships on 1 November 2019.

Addressing Naval Officers in 1948

931377_479420345471757_1774162988_n.jpg

ASIA DEFENSE | SECURITY | SOUTH ASIA

China Lays Keel for Pakistan Navy’s Second Type 054A Missile Frigate
China held a keel-laying ceremony last month at a shipyard in Shanghai for the second of four Type 054A-class frigates on order for the Pakistan Navy.

Franz-Stefan Gady
By Franz-Stefan Gady

March 30, 2020

China Lays Keel for Pakistan Navy’s Second Type 054A Missile Frigate
Credit: Pakistan Navy via Twitter

China conducted a keel-laying ceremony on March 23 at the Hudong Zhonghua shipyard in Shanghai for the second of four Type 054A/P multi-role frigates destined for service in the Pakistan Navy, the service announced in a recent statement.

The ceremony was reportedly attended by officials from Hudong Zhonghua Shipyard, Pakistan Navy officers and Chinese defense industry representatives.

According to Pakistan Navy spokesperson, Rear Admiral M. Arshid Javed, Type 054A/P frigates “are technologically advanced platforms which will strengthen [Pakistan Navy] combat capability and maintain peace [and] stability in the [Indian Ocean region].”

Last November, China’s Hudong-Zhonghua Shipbuilding also held a steel cutting ceremony for the Pakistan Navy’s third and fourth Type 054A/P multi-role frigate.

The Type 054A/P is an improved export version of the Type 054 frigate that is in service with the Chinese People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN). The Pakistan Navy ordered four new multi-tole frigates from China. A contract for the third and fourth Type 054A/P multirole frigates was signed in June 2018, while a contract for the first and second Type 054A/P frigate was signed in 2017.

Type 054A/P guided-missile frigates are multipurpose naval platforms. In January 2018, I described the technical characteristics and armament of the 4,000-ton surface combatants:

The stealth frigate is armed with HQ-16 medium range air defense missiles and boosts a 32-cell vertical launching system (VLS) in the forward section, capable of firing anti-ship and air defense missiles as well as anti-submarine torpedoes.

Weapon systems aboard the ship include HQ-16 medium-range air defense missiles, C-803 anti-ship/land-attack cruise missiles and Yu-7 torpedo launchers, Type 97 240-millimeter anti-submarine rocket launchers and Type 726-4 18-tube decoy rocket launchers.

The ships also feature air defense systems allowing each individual warship to engage aerial targets at a distance of up to 40 kilometers. Additionally, I explained:

It also features a Russian-made AK-630 fully automatic naval close in weapon system and a Chinese variant of the AK-176 76-millimeter naval gun.

(…) In addition, the ship is equipped with a Type 382 phased-array radar system and Type 344 and Type 345 multifunctional fire control radar systems, capable of over the horizon targeting.

Type 054A frigates also feature a hangar capable of accommodation Kamov K-27 and Harbin Z-9 helicopters or unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). (…)

As I noted previously, each Type 054A/P frigate is powered by four SEMT Pielstick engines and can achieve top speeds of 27 knots.

“The ship has a standard range of about 3,800 nautical miles – 7,037 kilometers – at a speed of 18 knots, and a maximum un-refueled radius is 12,000 kilometers or 8,000 miles,” I explained elsewhere.

AUTHORS
Franz-Stefan Gady
STAFF AUTHOR
Franz-Stefan Gady
Franz-Stefan Gady is a Senior Editor with The Diplomat. Follow him on Twitter.

thediplomat-2020-03-30.jpeg

Apr 8, 2020

Satellite Imagery Shows Chinese Navy In Pakistan.

H I SuttonContributor
Aerospace & Defense

I cover the changing world of underwater warfare.

Open-source defense analysts trawl through oceans of publicly available material in search of things of military significance. An eagle eyed watcher recently spotted something interesting in commercial satellite imagery. Twitter user d-atis shared an image analysis showing Chinese forces exercising in Karachi, Pakistan.

The satellite captured a Pakistani Navy hovercraft approaching Manora beach. This is a convenient location, right next to a a major Marines base known as PNS Qasim. From other sources we know that the hovercraft was carrying both Pakistani and Chinese marines. The troops ran down the ramp and across the beach side by side, a formation designed for the cameras. In combat conditions the troops would probably not be deployed in this manner.

The joint exercise was not just for the cameras however. It underscores the close defense relationship which extends into industry. China is a major arms supplier to Pakistan, and has been helping better establish local shipbuilding. The exercise in question, Sea Guardian 2020, took place in January.

China deployed an air defense destroyer, a frigate and a replenishment ship. The satellite imagery shows that the Chinese ships docked near the container terminal rather than in the Pakistani Navy base.

The Chinese destroyer was the Type-052D Luyang-III class ship Yinchuan (175). The 7,500 ton ship carries HHQ-9 long range surface to air missiles and cruise missiles. It has large phased array radars similar to U.S. Navy AEGIS destroyers. The People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) has 8 Type-052Ds and is building more.

The frigate was the Type-054A Jiangkai-II class ship Yuncheng (571). It is armed with a Chinese version of the Russian Buk surface to air missile as well as anti-ship missiles. The PLAN has 30 of these warships.

China also deployed a submarine rescue ship. This may be significant because China is supplying the Pakistani Navy with 8 Type 039B Yuan class submarines. Four of the submarines will be built in China and the other four in Pakistan. Despite a strong tradition in the submarine trade the Pakistani Navy does not have a rescue ship. With their fleet growing from 8 to 16, they may be looking at acquiring this capability. The visit would have given the Pakistani Navy the opportunity to look at the capabilities up close, and possibly exercise with it.

The Pakistani Navy contributed two frigates, two missile boats and several aircraft. The exact details of the exercises, which took place in the Arabian Sea, have not been revealed. It may have involved additional assets.

The defense relationship between China and Pakistan remains strong. These exercises may become more frequent and structured in future. Additionally the deployment gives the PLAN the opportunity to learn the nuances of war fighting in the Arabian Sea. As the PLAN becomes more global in reach this could be a more frequent operating theater.

EUrcxm8UUAMkVHb.jpeg

Pakistan economy was as bad as now when order for 4 Type 54 A/P were done. Of course they are coming through loan as usual. Instead of buying two pieces of this and two pieces of that from all over the world, PN should have stick to Chinese for back bone of the navy and in addition of 8 Chinese submarines, order 8 frigates of Type 54A/P and 4 Type 52D destroyers. I am afraid Turkish Milgem/Ada frigates order may face same fate as T-129 helicopters. I wish I am wrong on this.

Pakistan economy was as bad as now when order for 4 Type 54 A/P were done. Of course they are coming through loan as usual. Instead of buying two pieces of this and two pieces of that from all over the world, PN should have stick to Chinese for back bone of the navy and in addition of 8 Chinese submarines, order 8 frigates of Type 54A/P and 4 Type 52D destroyers. I am afraid Turkish Milgem/Ada frigates order may face same fate as T-129 helicopters. I wish I am wrong on this.

Why 8 why not 100 or 200 and get over with

:D

EDITORS' PICK|Apr 15, 2020,07:50am EDT

Mystery Submarine In Service With Pakistan’s Navy SEALs

H I Sutton

Some of the best-kept secrets are hidden in plain sight. Sitting on the quayside at PNS Iqbal, a special naval base in Karachi, Pakistan, is a submarine that you won’t find in any reference books, including my own World Submarines Covert Shores Recognition Guide. To my knowledge this will be the first article detailing this submarine, which appears to be in service with Pakistani Navy SEALs.

The submarine is a small special forces type, measuring around 55 feet long by 7 to 8 feet across. That is a fraction of the size of a regular submarine. Its location and size both point to use by the Pakistani Navy's Special Service Group, known as SSG (N). They are equivalent to the U.S. Navy SEALs and use the 'SEAL' terminology. They have a long tradition of training with the American unit.

This category of submarine is called an X-Craft in Pakistani Navy parlance. The term was inherited from the Italian manufacturer Cos.Mo.S (commonly written Cosmos) who sold Pakistan two sets of midget submarines in the past. The Italian firm itself borrowed the term from the Royal Navy midget submarines of World War II. The American equivalent to the X-Craft is the Dry Combat Submersible (DCS) now entering service with the U.S. Navy SEALs.

It may be intended to replace the Pakistani Navy's existing X-Craft. Pakistan operates three MG-110 X-Craft which were built locally between 1993 and 1996. They are getting long in the tooth and are due for replacement. But the Italian firm which designed them, Cos.Mo.S was closed down twenty years ago. Today its designs are continued by respected Italian manufacturer Drass. They offer a series of modern X-Craft that may be ideal for Pakistan.

But this mystery submarine does not appear to be a Drass design. The smallest publicly revealed Drass design is the DG-85, which is slightly larger than the boat seen in Pakistan.

One clue is that the boat first appeared in 2016. This may tie to a statement in the Pakistani Defence Production Division (MoDP) 2015-16 yearbook. It listed the "Indigenous design and construction of 01 Midget Submarine" as a target for 2016-2017.

Since then there have been reports that Turkish firm STM (Savunma Teknolojileri Mühendislik ve Ticaret A.Ş.) was jointly developing a mini-submarine with Pakistan. This could indicate that the mystery craft was not successful and so a new design is being developed. Another possibility is that the Turkish partnership will focus on smaller 'chariots.' These are similar to the U.S. Navy's SDVs (SEAL delivery vehicles). In the Pakistani Navy the Chariots can be carried by the larger X-Craft.

Analysis of commercial satellite imagery shows that the boat rarely (if ever) goes in the water. The only clear image showing it in the water is from 2016. The operational status is therefore unclear. The tent that covers it is often moved, however, suggesting ongoing maintenance. So the sub cannot be written off, but what it's called and what exactly it does remains a mystery.

H I Sutton

0x0.jpeg

so what can China do for that, With crippling current economy Type-54 AP with mid range SAM is the best bet
After MLU, PLAN's Sovremenny-class destroyer (about 8000 tons) is also just equipped with HQ-10, HQ-16 SAM and YJ-12 AShM.
41dcab65gy1gafob60gzyj21900u00y9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom